Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree with that. The Ford C-MAX BEV wouldn't be the choice if you need to make a lot of long distance trips as there isn't sufficient fast charging available for the Ford C-MAX BEV. It also wouldn't be the choice if you needed/wanted to take a long trip out to a remote cabin with no electricity.

Petrol cars will still have a future for a long time, just a diminishing one.

Exactly my point, no *easy* charging network, like Superchargers. And come on now, the number of people driving a C-Max to a cabin in the woods is going to be pretty low.

But my point is, the driving experience of the BEV is vastly superior in absolutely every respect. If the car is designed from scratch as a BEV then for a similar form-factor is vastly superior in practical terms too as it will have more cabin and luggage space.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

There’s a little exercise that people can do to get a better picture of how truthful they are being about and with themselves. Write down what you think people think of you and then ask those people what they think about you. Here’s a hint; most people have a distorted view of themselves (good and/or bad).

The people who are healthiest have no self image. They are just there in the moment, past, and future, in accordance with the instant circumstances and their requirements.

According to Reuters:

Altavilla, along with Jeep brand head Mike Manley and CFO Richard Palmer, was among the top candidates to succeed FCA’s longtime CEO Sergio Marchionne when he stepped down next year.
But after Marchionne fell seriously ill due to complications following surgery, the company accelerated the succession plans and on Saturday appointed Manley to succeed Marchionne.

I think most investors assumed Sergio would still serve as consigliere to new FCA CEO in his role as Chairman.

The market seems to think that advice is worth a bit over $3B.

I'll be honest, I never was terribly interested in BMWs - the way people who own them drive is frankly really offputting to me, and I know that's petty, but there you go. I know some people say the same of Tesla owners, but I see Teslas around here driving more like sane reasonable people that love to drive and have some fun with their cars.

That said, just from what I see in passing, it feels like BMW has been doing a better job than most ICE makers at getting electric cars or electric cars with a range extender on the road. But maybe that's the Seattle bubble I live in.

I'm genuinely interested in which traditional auto makers are actually investing in EV technology, more than just as a compliance vehicle. Does anyone know of a good recent analysis of the EV manufacturing landscape outside of Tesla?

This is my investment approach: find the most competent team, stay with the leader. Tesla is the leader in this one of the largest transition in human history. There are no runner ups. Look at what Tesla has done in the past, the Model S, Model X, Model 3, Semi, PowerWall, PowerPack, SolarRoof ... I can imagine what kind of Model Y and pickup truck they will bring to the market. It's going to take away all the SUV/CUV demand from legacy car makers. I still think even some bulls underestimate Tesla. Those who hope legacy makers will successfully bring excellent EVs to compete with Tesla, will be disappointed. Just my view and I could be wrong.

This morning both General Motors and Fiat Chrysler announced earnings and outlooks that were poorly received by the market. Ford did not report, but its share price appears to have been taken down in sympathy. Tesla's share price is up. It also did not report today.

My earlier posting of simply the movements in automaker share prices today was designed as a subtle hint to provoke thought about the future of Detroit ICE makers versus California EV maker Tesla.

Tesla doesn't trade like an auto stock.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZsoZso
What was the cause of the macro markets going up? I'm seeing AMZN, AAPL, SPY & QQQ up, and TSLA did that too.

Edit: Ah, found it.
Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 1.05.18 PM.png

Edit: Closer to the source of the newsflow timing:
Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 1.08.32 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
What the heck caused that?

Could be this (from WSJ):

Breaking News...

WASHINGTON—The European Union delegation meeting with President Donald Trump Wednesday agreed to some concessions in an effort to avoid a trade war with the U.S., according to a European official in the room.

The official said European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and his top trade official Cecilia Malmström agreed to work with the U.S. administration to lower industrial tariffs on both sides, increase LNG exports and soy beans to Europe, and align regulatory standards to allow for medical devices to have better market access in Europe, the official said.

Both delegations were still fine tuning language in a common statement on car tariffs, the official said.

Could be this (from WSJ):

Breaking News...

WASHINGTON—The European Union delegation meeting with President Donald Trump Wednesday agreed to some concessions in an effort to avoid a trade war with the U.S., according to a European official in the room.

The official said European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and his top trade official Cecilia Malmström agreed to work with the U.S. administration to lower industrial tariffs on both sides, increase LNG exports and soy beans to Europe, and align regulatory standards to allow for medical devices to have better market access in Europe, the official said.

Both delegations were still fine tuning language in a common statement on car tariffs, the official said.

Possible... haven't seen anything better yet. Regardless, great way to close the day!

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I wonder if Trump would veto a bill aimed at interfering with his biggest tool on one of his biggest issues (#2 in the list behind only world peace and stopping nuclear Armageddon) that he already campaigned specifically on and repeated about 2,000 times over the last 3 years everywhere he went and said this is the time he needs that tool and said that this is the way he has to do it those 2,000 times and is concentrating his work on for literally months of his effort. :rolleyes: My guess is that that bill won't have an impact on markets where people can see what the effect flow will be.

This is my investment approach: find the most competent team, stay with the leader. Tesla is the leader in this one of the largest transition in human history. There are no runner ups. Look at what Tesla has done in the past, the Model S, Model X, Model 3, Semi, PowerWall, PowerPack, SolarRoof ... I can imagine what kind of Model Y and pickup truck they will bring to the market. It's going to take away all the SUV/CUV demand from legacy car makers. I still think even some bulls underestimate Tesla. Those who hope legacy makers will successfully bring excellent EVs to compete with Tesla, will be disappointed. Just my view and I could be wrong.
um, did you watch, in 'real time' the SpaceX launch (and landing in strong wind sheer) of Iridium 7 with another 10 satellites this morning early? in at least my mind, Tesla and SpaceX are more than "loosely coupled"

Status
Not open for further replies.