Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't. Tesla / Elon have finally provided a sober and not-overly-ambitious plan to get sustainably profitable. IMO, we shouldn't encourage them to go back to over-committing what they can achieve in the short-term and blowing through cash in another mad scramble (e.g. flying in robots from Europe, building new "permanently temporary" GAs, etc.). The Semi and the Y (and Roadster) will have to wait until Model 3 production is more stable, profit is shown, and some of the upcoming debt due is paid off.

A profitable, more valuable Tesla is a Tesla with a better credit rating, is a Tesla which can borrow more (and on more favourable terms)

I couldn’t catch up with everything in this thread.

What did Ben Kallo say at first to Elon about Douglas Adams? Did he mention the Joo Janta 200 sunglasses? Anyone know? He sounded high?

Yep the damn thing can't make up its mind what it wants to do now :) Made a few bucks off the swings today at least. Did bounce off $324 twice early on. $324 - $334 is today's range thus far. I'd watch those two price points carefully.

One thing I'm wondering is if analysts are going to increase their ratings on the stock soon now due to less perceive chance of buckwuptcy. That should shoot it back up to $350+ if so.

A Moody’s upgrade would be nice. Somehow I think they might wait until q3 results however.

One less repeated item is how they expect rising gross margin (3% Q2, to 15% Q3) will more than offset the negative effect of average selling price (ASP) falling. It was in the letter and fleshed a bit during the call, that ASP's of 40-45k seem to be where a 15% GM can still be maintained.

This is a true story:
i have been margined 260% on $TSLA stock for several months now
out of the blue Morgan Stanley calls on my account at 10.30 AM CST today and advise me that they are raising my specific account margin requirement from 30 to 60 % effective immediately and their risk management department wants me to produce XXX in additional collateral effective immediately because they expect 30% drop in $TSLA stock after tonight's ER. i plead with them to allow me one more day before liquidating shares but they would not budge.
i therefore made the boldest trading decision of my life.
i liquidated all my $tsla stock and went all in $300 call January 2020 at 1.45 pm CST
rest is history
I believe all these investment banks and brokerage firms are playing the stock game. Selling Calls and Puts is so profitable and addicting. Many of them mistakenly went to the wrong side on TSLA (some have been on the wrong side for years, such as GS). Tesla is really difficult for the Wall Street manipulators to understand. They are looking for trouble.
But deciding to let clients hang, when its in the direction a brokerage wants to trade, and then deciding to margin call folks so your desk inventory rises when you go bullish, is "dirty" as someone else put it.

I don't know which shocks more: taking on 300 TSLA contracts, or that they were ~50% of personal wealth. Probably the second. That's conviction! Stay solvent, TrendTrader007.

A Moody’s upgrade would be nice. Somehow I think they might wait until q3 results however.

Moody's has far too many paying clients from the status quo, the bonds they rated don't actively trade (private placements), and credit analysts know not to treat their ratings are having more than a ~3yr shelf-life. That's a little longer, than short-bear.

Last edited:
This. Tesla is the world's largest Kickstarter. ;)

Yah, Model 3 deposits (US LR at least) are now turning into car sales, but semi, roadster 2020, and surf board deposits/orders are currently development/ production funding.

Decent track record though: Roadster, S, X, 3 (LR US), and cousin company Boring's hat and not a flame thrower.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and madodel
What did Ben Kallo say at first to Elon about Douglas Adams? Did he mention the Joo Janta 200 sunglasses? Anyone know? He sounded high?.

No f#$&ing clue. He did sound high. Even Elon didn’t know what to respond, although he tried.

To be fair, he was trying to make a joke, I think, and I’m sure it sounded better in his head than it came out. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Instead of the various suggestions Tesla use capital to expand production at new plants and for new models, why not finally open up sales to Europe? This will:
  • eliminate any question about waning demand (which I think is over-stated anyway)
  • provide a sustainable demand for the Performance and other higher-margin cars, and
  • address a gaping public relations hole - many (half?) of first-line waiters don't live in the US (or Canada).
The only downside to this modest and inexpensive proposal is if they still aren't building enough Model 3s to satisfy the US demand prior to the federal rebate being reduced Dec. 31st. Oh that, and jkirkwood's AWD might take longer to be delivered to Canada... seriously.

Thoughts?

This from the Q2 report:
Model 3 gross margin should grow significantly to approximately 15% in Q3 and to approximately 20% in Q4 predominantly due to continued reduction in manufacturing costs and to some extent an improving mix. Average selling price will remain high for several quarters as we expect a richer mix in the initial wave of Model 3 deliveries to Europe and APAC. We believe future Model 3 cost savings will more than offset the normalization of the Model 3 average selling price in the second half of 2019, resulting in improving gross margins and stable gross profit per vehicle.

From this section of the report it sounds like Tesla already plans to tap the European market for at least the higher end Model 3's before the second half of 2019 and then stabilize margins going forward despite lower cost M3 becoming more part of the mix due to greater achieved manufacturing and delivery efficiencies. It would make sense for Tesla to ride federal rebate until at least the end of 2018 when it starts to phase out and then start delivering at least higher end Model 3s in Europe starting first half 2019.

IF they can get 1,000,000 cars a year (I doubt it) by then with ~20K in margin per vehicle (again, a stretch) then this will certainly trade between 600-1000.

If Tesla's autonomous driving works by then, or basically works with minor remaining cases, the valuation could go up several fold even if they only produce 100 cars a year. Tesla could start selling autonomous solutions in addition to cars - not predicting they will do that, but true valuation should evaluate all potential scenarios. Some analysts want us to think the valuation depends on near future's P/E. For tech company like Tesla, that's not true.

I really like Tesla's approach regarding autonomous driving. I don't see major technical issues that can stop this project. Timing is a little fuzzy.

The FSD thing always had me scratching my head whenever I used my AP. (2.5). The things it would do at times made me think...nope not going to happen for quite a while. But then I realize this is Tesla they ALWAYS innovate. When one Avenue is closed they take another (sorry bad analogy).

Then after the CC I have much more hope they will pull this off sooner than most people imagine.

Might have to sell a few shares to buy but since the shorts are paying for it ...well it does not hurt too bad.

If they are not so savvy, why is their brokerage allowing them to do options or short? a serious question. Schwab is quite cautious with me and I've been with then since 1980's.

Well I wasn't talking strictly options. But quickly, I was given the ability to play with options with 3 different brokers. Two of them just needed me to check a box that says I've been doing stocks for 2 years, and the third just gave it to me.

I remember a thread on /wsb/ about a month or two ago where a guy who had followed the advice of the fudsters made a thread asking why hasn't any of the predictions made about Tesla happened yet. There was a lot of 'Elon is manipulating the stock', 'TSLA is a cult stock', as if those had anything to do with the performance of the company, and a decent amount of people who just laughed at him. I felt sorry for the guy because he's just out trying to make a buck like anyone else, and he's being bombarded by an overwhelming amount of misinformation and half-truths.

Also, man, has the stock ever jumped from near the lower BB to above the upper BB before?

This from the Q2 report:
Model 3 gross margin should grow significantly to approximately 15% in Q3 and to approximately 20% in Q4 predominantly due to continued reduction in manufacturing costs and to some extent an improving mix. Average selling price will remain high for several quarters as we expect a richer mix in the initial wave of Model 3 deliveries to Europe and APAC. We believe future Model 3 cost savings will more than offset the normalization of the Model 3 average selling price in the second half of 2019, resulting in improving gross margins and stable gross profit per vehicle.

From this section of the report it sounds like Tesla already plans to tap the European market for at least the higher end Model 3's before the second half of 2019 and then stabilize margins going forward despite lower cost M3 becoming more part of the mix due to greater achieved manufacturing and delivery efficiencies. It would make sense for Tesla to ride federal rebate until at least the end of 2018 when it starts to phase out and then start delivering at least higher end Model 3s in Europe starting first half 2019.

We're on the same page. So the question becomes will they open orders to Europe by Q4? by EoY? or in 2019? (OK, gotta start a poll on this!)

Status
Not open for further replies.