Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, he's assuming Elon didn't lie. Most of us here are in the camp that Elon doesn't lie.

Since the article is about Tesla looking for more potential sources of financing, and given Elon and the Board's strong interest in not changing how the company is run and in not giving up too much control to one or two entities, we think it can be assumed that Elon has a small number of sources who have agreed to take Tesla private, but it would be ideal to have a bunch of sources rather than a small number of them.

@neroden can correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my read and I assume his.
Do not listen to Bloomberg. Do not read Bloomberg.
They have no more information than you do.
The amount of BS (especially of what is or is not legal) is astonishing.

btw. most of the Tesla's major investors do private investments already....

And make a point when Blomberg or any other major MM talk about other subjects.

Musk tweet is very clear, and means what it means. He made arrangements.
Now it is time for bureaucracy. directors have to inform all major shareholders, get opinions, come together and make decisions. Fit these decisions in one cohesive narrative.
Musk sponsors have to arrange financial cover, this cover should be tested by independent auditors, etc. etc. Considering that this all should be before Q3 call they all are very hard pressed.

First of all, he's assuming Elon didn't lie. Most of us here are in the camp that Elon doesn't lie.

Nope, he doesn't lie.

However, he
1) hyperbilizes
2) when going gets tough, and plans misfires, he's presented things in the most flattering light, with the language that is technically correct, yet essentially misleading. I haven't seen this much lately, but he's done it through Model X ramp-up (e.g. 'we have exited quarter at 2000 cars/week', which was really 30 cars on the last day, or something similar; I'm paraphrasing, for real example pls. check statement in the Jan '16 for how many MX were produced in Q4 '15 and compare with Q1 '16 output). I have no doubt that this is out of the best intentions and because he thinks problem will be solved in the next two weeks, and hence statement will hold true, but...
3) in general is overtly optimistic and makes logical leaps that in retrospect are hard to justify - this plays mostly in terms of time, because he rarely, if ever, truly fails.

These are the things that look like unbridled optimism from the viewpoint of someone with great amount of goodwill, and look like lies for those with ill-will. So yeah, he doesn't lie, but world is not black and white, so I'd caution for more nuanced interpretation of his statements.

In this particular case, I'm wondering if he had chat with Larry, and Larry after few glasses of wine said 'Yeah, Elon, we could definitely do that!', and few other friends also said 'of course we could raise $40B, world is flush with cash' or something like that, and that was his basis for 'financing secured' statement. Remember: best intentions, he thinks (and likely can) raise money, even-though he has just expression of interest. And then, FT article about Saudi's investment come up, SP starts spiking, and he felt forced to come out in front of rapid price appreciation, as his offer (he probably thinks) wouldn't stretch much past $420, and he needs it to look good to succeed. Remember, higher price means higher payout, but also higher percentage of stockholders will want to be cashed out, so amount of money that's needed probably grows exponentially with the price, until it flattens when all stakeholders but most ardent ones are exhausted. BTW, I don't know something like this is the case, but from my observation of Elon in the last three years, I consider it possibility (with significant, non-zero chances).

Zach, I was wondering if I should write above diatribe, as I'll collect bunch of disagreements, and I too, like to be liked :). However, I though it's important that you specifically understand other points of view, as you're relatively new and powerful voice and have reach well outside of these walls.

Last edited:
There’s not a chance in hell that he doesn’t have the financing. It’s amazing to me that people think he’s that dumb to post that he has if he hadn’t, or that he has good intentions but may be misled, He’s joking about short shorts on twitter hours after lawsuits have been filed against him. Which actually I welcome as it will move the ball along, which I need having possibly been a bit too optimistic with a bunch of $370 Aug 17 calls! (Hopefully if SP goes above $360, I can roll them into the following week.)

Lol, I missed last night's Twitter fun. My favourite:

Khaled Barazi on Twitter

upload_2018-8-11_8-52-56.png

OK, this is pretty clear. Musk has lined up funding to go private, but it's from one or two large investors (maybe three or four). He and the Board don't like having that level of concentrated ownership -- more concentrated than Musk perhaps -- so they're trying to get a larger conglomerate so as to split up the control.

Makes perfect sense. Implies that the one or two who have agreed to provide funding are *not* demanding control (which makes sense to me -- they still get big, chunky stakes of Tesla and the company is free of a source of badmouthing).

Why someone would like to get like 10% ownership with 420, when he can get 10% ownership with 355 from stock markets? E.g. Saudis got 3-5% from open market without major stock move.

Why someone would like to get like 10% ownership with 420, when he can get 10% ownership with 355 from stock markets? E.g. Saudis got 3-5% from open market without major stock move.

1. Because you don't get 10% ownership at the stock market for 355$. If you start buying and depending how you do it it will go up rapidly.
2. In a private scenario invited from EM to join you may get benefits you cannot get with todays listed stocks
3. Today you cannot evaluate as a larger investors how the agreement will look like going private so if you just buy from the market you do it w/o being able to compare both deals. Thats a bad idea.

Why do you think SA did ask EM for a stack first which he did not react on and as a fall back position had to buy the 3-5% in the open market?

Ok. I just assumed from the context it was about the article proper only. Reasonable take, but at some point we also need to discount in the chance that Elon has been too optimistic on ‘funding acquired’.

Not everything that didn’t materialize was a lie but not everything that was perceived to be true by Elon materializes.

No, we don’t need to discount in the chance that he’s been too optimistic on ‘funding secured’.

Everything at this level of importance and significance to the advancement or survival of Tesla always materializes.

Reactions: bdy0627
Status
Not open for further replies.