Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
38B79B72-E779-497A-9FE7-189FF0AD3D8A.png No compare it to current $TSLA chart both in terms of timeframe and percentages

I don't think this will be the case if the pool of new investors who value a private $TESLAP share at $430+ is larger than the pool of old investors who want to or have to sell at $420 or lower.

For which there is a considerable chance:
  • The pool of "have to or want to sell" shares was around 60 million last week and is shrinking every day - it could already be 55 million today,
  • The negative SEC news that a certain big market participant was insider trading on for the last ~7 days is now public knowledge. I believe we are at or near peak FUD and the relentless stream of FUD will fade.
  • The positive news will keep coming: Q3 numbers, positive opex, positive cash flow, profitability will all nullify key bear/short arguments.
  • Amazingly, short interest is still not dropping significantly.
I.e. the pool of sellers will shrink, the pool of buyers will grow. These forces will eventually overwhelm any attempts to keep the stock price down.

Very good points. I agree. In the short term what I said I believe will be true because there are still lots of sellers. But give it another month or two, and what you're saying will almost certainly be true because of dwindling number of sellers.

By the way, I have to say you're my favorite new poster here, and one of my favorite posters here. I think your analysis is thoughtful and superb, and I want to thank you for your very knowledgeable and sharp contributions.

The big question is simply how many of the existing investors want to stay in.

While it's an important question, I believe an even more important question is: "How many new investors is the impending Tesla IPO (Initial Private Offering) going to attract?"

I believe there are a lot of investors on the sidelines that have been scared away by the shorts, and a lot of events/forces that might activate them:
  • better Q3 results,
  • shorts covering will reduce FUD (they might still be negative about Tesla, but with the short position gone they will have new scams to promote),
  • 50 thousand Teslas per quarter delivered to new, often wealthy owners widens the pool significantly,
  • better Q4 results if we don't have a deal by 2019,
  • with more Wall Street heavyweights now backing the deal, and better Q3/Q4 results, financial journalist sentiment might turn from negative to neutral as well.
  • the inexorable rise of the stock price will convince people as well.

Last edited:
When he said subsidy fraud boy, Smeagol line, after that first post. It became pretty clear he has no credibility.

Ayup. There's exactly one place that terminology comes from, and it is credibility-destroying.

His tweetstorm today makes Musk's look positively banal. There's no reason [if he has a valid case] to be posting those photos, and many reasons to sit on them for the suit. The fact that he's spewing them publicly now tells me he has a terrible, no-good, rotten case.

And boy are the tweet responses fun. :)

Can we go back to wondering how many Model 3s are being produced per week? Or maybe arguing over when FSD will start hitting cars? This past week has been far too stressful.

I beleive it was @Reciprocity who first called things pretty correctly, so props for that.

Either way, while before I had 100 per cent trust in Tesla and its CEO, now I do not.

As in SpaceX Elon supports investors not traders. It is obvious to me that investment to Elon means a mutual long term commitment not a short term gamble. Bull traders are just as likely to suffer as bear traders because he has no loyalty to the ones who have no loyalty to Tesla. Your short term gains do not matter in the company's mission.

I can kinda see how someone might think they were doing good by divulging if a company is using punctured batteries in products that could pose a safety risk, but the scrap metal thing just doesn't work for me there. No doubt Tesla has been inefficient with battery module production earlier in the year. Is there someone who actually figured they wouldn't have been? How does that become a whistleblower affair or even important data? The fact that Tripped is focusing on it suggests to me that he feels he needs to demonstrate multiple questionable things to try to accomplish what he wants to do, whatever that is. I understand that he feels he needs to point it out to undermine Tesla, but it just seems unimportant to me during this ramp process.
I agree it seems like more than simple public-mindedness at this point. Mr. Tripp seems to have a grudge against Tesla for the way they treated him. Today's tweets appear to be more about retribution than public safety.

Very good points. I agree. In the short term what I said I believe will be true because there are still lots of sellers. But give it another month or two, and what you're saying will almost certainly be true because of dwindling number of sellers.

Yeah, agreed about the timeline.

I'm sure there's more negative events upcoming as well, which will have a magnified effect on the price:
  • Q3 delivery guidance is low at 50-55k, maybe there's a good reason for that, for example battery module shortage. People expecting sustained 5k/week M3 production in Q3 might be disappointed.
  • Shorts/bears seem to have a mole at the SEC, while the SEC seems to be turning a blind eye to the blatant illegal insider trading and market manipulation the "spike-seller" was performing on TSLA in the last couple of days apparently, probably with insider knowledge of the widening SEC probe.
  • Shorts/bears also seem to have won the hearts and minds of the financial press corps, which damage and influence will take time to undo.
  • While Tesla bears/shorts seem to be rather poor at math, logic and finance, they seem to have an incredible talent for just making stuff up and convincing easily swayed journalists that what they are saying makes total sense and is not self-serving slander of Tesla and Elon at all.
  • Finally, and in admittedly related news, Grimes still hasn't managed to delete the Twitter app from Elon's phone. Efforts are still ongoing, I sincerely hope.

What a brutal week. I only ended up with fairly modest gains after having to bail early from my last two TSLA trades. Thought I’d have a good chance of riding them up to $400 but it wasn’t to be.

I wasn’t expecting this, but the near term chart is pointing to a ~ $323 bottom for me. Hoping to jump back in yet again around there. Absolutely nuts that I’m saying that after all the $420 privatization talk. Never would have guessed.

Agree with others that peak fud should once again be hit soon. Good luck to all.

Just because the stock is down over the last 6 trading days does not make it a mistake
The phenomenon of recency is so strong in the markets
Just wait till the stock makes a turnaround and starts shooting up then all “mistakes” will be quickly forgotten
This is so so true. Just watch the sentiment shift dramatically even here when the stock reverses and quickly climbs.

Reactions: immunogold
Ok, I'm caught up (had to actually work, I know right?).

Too much analytics I see. $25 Billion sounds about right. Waiting for production #s for now, that's all.
Might buy again tomorrow if it drops more. Could be last chance. I'll miss you guys too.
FUD works in our favor at this time.

Jerry's Advice, played in A. Good stuff outta that California ;)

Lyrics
Since it costs a lot to win, and even more to lose,
You and me bound to spend some time wondering what to choose.
Goes to show, you don't ever know,
Watch each card you play and play it slow,

Wait until that deal come round,
Don't you let that deal go down, no, no.

I been gambling hereabouts for ten good solid years,
If I told you all that went down it would burn off both of your ears.
Goes to show you don't ever know

Wait until that deal come round,
Don't you let that deal go down, no, no.

Since you poured the wine for me and tightened up my shoes,
I hate to leave you sitting there, composing lonesome blues.
Goes to show you don't ever know

Wait until that deal come round, don't you let that deal go down.
Wait until that deal come round, don't you let that deal go down,
Wait until that deal come round, don't you let that deal go down,
Don't you let that deal go down, don't you let that deal go down.

• Love
Reactions: Boomer19 and Ocelot
What a brutal week. I only ended up with fairly modest gains after having to bail early from my last two TSLA trades. Thought I’d have a good chance of riding them up to $400 but it wasn’t to be.

I wasn’t expecting this, but the near term chart is pointing to a ~ $323 bottom for me. Hoping to jump back in yet again around there. Absolutely nuts that I’m saying that after all the $420 privatization talk. Never would have guessed.

Agree with others that peak fud should once again be hit soon. Good luck to all.
Agreed, but that's not very far below us. Nothing to sweat about for sure. If you are able to add heavily within 3% of the bottom I'd say you will do very well.

BTW. since bears/shorts seem to have at least one mole at the SEC, I believe the main goal of the "SEC probe" is not to get any "conviction" (a single freshman lawyer could make any charges against Elon to be laughed out of court), but:
  • To create a well timed negative news cycle with drip-drip leaks about SEC investigation of Tesla,
  • to create uncertainty about the going-private deal in the hope of making it fail due to lack of investor support,
  • to set the stage for further regulatory and legal attacks against the deal,
  • to subpoena highly confidential documents about the going-private negotiations, to use the information to perform insider trading, and/or to selectively release any portions that can be spun in a Tesla-negative way.
Given these points, I am convinced the SEC will investigate their mole and leaker of privileged information which enabled insider trading and market manipulation - all of which are serious felonies that often result in jail sentences and disbarment.

Just kidding!

It's obviously much more important for the SEC to investigate whether Elon tweeting to millions of investors who all receive it within a split second is legal public disclosure, and to investigate whether the belief of Elon that funding is "secured" for one of the hottest new companies on Earth, from Saudis who flew to Elon last year to convince him to allow them in, was an accurate word to use.

Last edited:
What, no comments on my really long and extensive set of calculations of share count for the go-private deal? Really? ;-)

OK, so FWIW, the Saudis could buy their position up to about 34.11 million shares (i.e. they could buy about 29.00 million more than my low-end estimate of what they have now) before they hit 20% (which would probably trigger CFIUS review). Or they could buy 11.94 million more shares before they hit 10% (which would probably trigger CFIUS review if they're buying *voting* shares). I'm going to assume the Saudis will accept non-voting shares, and I'm assuming they have the $12.18 billion needed to buy 29 million shares.

Now, CFIUS will probably accept Saudi investment due to the US government being in bed with the Saudis (sigh). But if it didn't, this would mean that under Musk's guess, they'd need third-party funding for about 5.37 million shares ($2.2 billion); if buying out half the miscellaneous stockholders, 8.48 million shares or $3.56 bililon.

Worst case where the Saudis will only go up to 20% and all the miscellaneous shareholders want out would require $33.47 billion of "outside" money.

Adam Jonas (yeah, I know) says that Musk's SpaceX stock is considered to be worth about $15 billion right now. Musk will probably still be able to borrow against Tesla stock when it's private; if he borrows against SpaceX, I think it would be conservative to assume he can get $7 bililon. (Though he may have borrowed against some of it already.) So he could fund some of this himself if he had to.

Elon Musk’s SpaceX could play 'crucial role' in his plan to take Tesla private: Morgan Stanley

We haven't even started talking about other possible funders, even though we know Silver Lake Kraftwerk wants in.

The big question is simply how many of the existing investors want to stay in. We're all guessing, which is why I'e run so many different scenarios here. Here's another, better way of looking at it (remembering that shorts have to cover):
$10 billion in funding will allow for 57.55 million shares to be bought out at $420
$15 billion in funding will allow for 69.45 million shares to be bought out at $420
$20 billion in funding will allow for 81.35 million shares to be bought out at $420
$25 billion in funding will allow for 93.26 million shares to be bought out at $420
$30 billion in funding will allow for 105.17 million shares to be bought out at $420
$35 billion in funding will allow for 117.07 million shares to be bought out at $420
$40 billion in funding will allow for 128.98 million shares to be bought out at $420
$45 billion in funding will allow for 140.88 million shares to be bought out at $420

(Edit: corrected calculation)

There are about 142.44 million shares held by miscellaneous investors (assuming Musk, Tencent, Saudis, Bailie Gifford, and insiders keep their shares).

Thanks! This gives me a new scenario. :)

Suppose every institution except Bailie Gifford dumps their shares (because private equity and public equity desks are separate, sigh) -- while 1/2 of all miscellaneous non-institutional investors stay in (because the other half have their money in Canadian RRSPs or equivalent). After accounting for the shares bought back by the short-sellers, that would require funding for 79.80 million shares, or about $33.5 billion. Again, if the Saudis can really buy up to ~20% (perhaps with nonvoting shares), Musk can swing the rest of the funding personally if need be.

(At Bailie Gifford, a small firm, public and private equity desks aren't separate, and their principal has said he wants his clients to keep their Tesla stock, which is why I figure they will keep theirs.)

This is basically the most expensive plausible scenario I can see. I figure at least half of non-institutional longs are both "true believers" and able to stay in.

My comment is that I think we should use Elon’s guess ($14.5B?) as the baseline with the error bars around that figure.

Reactions: Off Shore
What, no comments on my really long and extensive set of calculations of share count for the go-private deal? Really? ;-)

OK, so FWIW, the Saudis could buy their position up to about 34.11 million shares (i.e. they could buy about 29.00 million more than my low-end estimate of what they have now) before they hit 20% (which would probably trigger CFIUS review). Or they could buy 11.94 million more shares before they hit 10% (which would probably trigger CFIUS review if they're buying *voting* shares). I'm going to assume the Saudis will accept non-voting shares, and I'm assuming they have the $12.18 billion needed to buy 29 million shares.

Now, CFIUS will probably accept Saudi investment due to the US government being in bed with the Saudis (sigh). But if it didn't, this would mean that under Musk's guess, they'd need third-party funding for about 5.37 million shares ($2.2 billion); if buying out half the miscellaneous stockholders, 8.48 million shares or $3.56 bililon.

Worst case where the Saudis will only go up to 20% and all the miscellaneous shareholders want out would require $33.47 billion of "outside" money.

Adam Jonas (yeah, I know) says that Musk's SpaceX stock is considered to be worth about $15 billion right now. Musk will probably still be able to borrow against Tesla stock when it's private; if he borrows against SpaceX, I think it would be conservative to assume he can get $7 bililon. (Though he may have borrowed against some of it already.) So he could fund some of this himself if he had to.

Elon Musk’s SpaceX could play 'crucial role' in his plan to take Tesla private: Morgan Stanley

We haven't even started talking about other possible funders, even though we know Silver Lake Kraftwerk wants in.

The big question is simply how many of the existing investors want to stay in. We're all guessing, which is why I'e run so many different scenarios here. Here's another, better way of looking at it (remembering that shorts have to cover):
$10 billion in funding will allow for 57.55 million shares to be bought out at $420
$15 billion in funding will allow for 69.45 million shares to be bought out at $420
$20 billion in funding will allow for 81.35 million shares to be bought out at $420
$25 billion in funding will allow for 93.26 million shares to be bought out at $420
$30 billion in funding will allow for 105.17 million shares to be bought out at $420
$35 billion in funding will allow for 117.07 million shares to be bought out at $420
$40 billion in funding will allow for 128.98 million shares to be bought out at $420
$45 billion in funding will allow for 140.88 million shares to be bought out at $420

(Edit: corrected calculation)

There are about 142.44 million shares held by miscellaneous investors (assuming Musk, Tencent, Saudis, Bailie Gifford, and insiders keep their shares).
My highly scientific* estimate is that ~50% of non-Elon shares will want or be forced to be bought-in at $420.
55%-60% at $450, and
60%-70% at $500.
All percents apply to non-Elon's shares.

*This estimate is scientific, because I used science a lot in the kindergarten, and have stayed close since. Am making it clear though, that no science** has been used or hurt in producing this particular estimate.
**I am actually surprisingly good in the 'invented statistics' field, i.e. these estimates should not be discounted just because they're invented out of thin air!

Status
Not open for further replies.