Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting question and normally your neighbor would be right - and if Tesla was any other company I'm convinced we would have seen a hostile Saudi takeover bid of Tesla back in April/May when the price was the best for them and Tesla was the weakest.

But your neighbor is wrong, because he is missing the one key Tesla value the Saudis cannot purchase: Elon Musk. If Elon doesn't agree or simply isn't happy with the outcome, he might just sell and start Tesla v2 elsewhere, and many key employees would follow him. I think that's why the Saudis came to Elon twice in the last 2 years, that's why they are negotiating with him about the $420 going-private buyout offer.

Look how quickly Elon got the Boring Company going.

I am convinced that the Saudis would be 100% happy about a Dell like outcome: a forced buyout of all but a few shareholders. But Elon said no.

That's also why the shorts are trying to attack Elon, to devalue him in the eyes of the Saudis. (Little seem they realize that by painting Elon the stubborn macho who goes through heaven and hell, they are likely increasing his cult value in middle-eastern cultures...)

So if this was any other company the Saudis would not have stopped at 5% in June.

Ask your neighbor a probing question: if the Saudis want Tesla, why did the Saudis stop buying, and why are they in talks with Elon, the board and Silver Lake of Dell fame? They could buy a controlling stake on the market right now for less than what they paid for the 5% initial stake. Why aren't they buying?

Pretty much the only answer that makes sense in this context is because the Saudis know how important Elon is to Tesla and want him aboard. Owning 18% of a disruptive company (slightly less than Elon's 20% share) is so much better than owning 25% or even 50% of a company that is a burnt out shell of its former self.

Elon's price is apparently going private with a specific corporate structure that keeps him and Tesla free to shape the future. That's what the $420 price and going-private is about, I think.
I don't understand the idea of the Saudis undertaking a hostile takeover of Tesla on the open market. Is that even possible? How could that happen?

My first question is: If a) the interest is there and b) going private at $420 and keeping the current investors around is a realistic option given the legal constraints, why aren't those parties accumulating shares all the time? How can the stock trade where it is, if a) and b) are true?

My second question is: If a) or b) should not be true, doesn't that imply ... uh ... bad things, regarding the current investigation in Elons Tweets and the lawsuits?

I've tried to catch up with the current situation after my holiday and read most of the last 50 pages or so. If there was a convincing explanation regarding my first question, i must have missed it. From my perspective it looks like that deal isn't going to happen.
I mean I took the 15 minute compliance course at my company and I really don't think you can participate in a going private negotiation and buy stock on the open market. By doing so you would be acting on material nom-public information. Likewise they can't sell. But nothing to do now but wait and see I guess.

What concerns me most for next week is that even pro-Musk commentators like Andrea James and Gene Munster seem to have genuine concerns, with Gene Munster saying that it is "interesting insight into the mental toll...". If even people who follow Tesla closely like that came away with this impression, I think almost everybody will continue to believe that Musk is finished and we could be looking at a big drop again next week.

I'm really surprised that they think there is something new about Musk's mental state there, given that they must have seen him discussing lack of sleep, Ambien, and the pain of the Model 3 ramp before. Perhaps they just saw the account in other media, even further removed from context.
What surprised me about Munster's note after the NYT article is that he did not point out any of the speculativeness of the article. He took it at face value regarding Elon. Most of us here absolutely do not. It seems so obvious to me. I'm puzzled that Munster doesn't share our skepticism about the article. Elon's interview with MKB the same day shows Elon as the Elon we are used to - tired and in need of a haircut, but he certainly doesn't look like he is on the verge of losing it.

Andrea James actually indicated she thinks the NYT article will be a positive in the longer term. She also made some comments that there really wasn't anything new from the article. She did embrace the idea from the article that the Board is actively searching for a COO, which appears to be completely speculative. CNBC and others really ran with that idea, blowing it up into the idea that Elon should either be let go, or at the very least, take a leave of absence.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 7.32.37 AM.png

My first question is: If a) the interest is there and b) going private at $420 and keeping the current investors around is a realistic option given the legal constraints, why aren't those parties accumulating shares all the time? How can the stock trade where it is, if a) and b) are true?

My second question is: If a) or b) should not be true, doesn't that imply ... uh ... bad things, regarding the current investigation in Elons Tweets and the lawsuits?

I've tried to catch up with the current situation after my holiday and read most of the last 50 pages or so. If there was a convincing explanation regarding my first question, i must have missed it. From my perspective it looks like that deal isn't going to happen.

Anyone who actually knows surely can't speak, but @neroden gave a plausible explanation that he can surely point to quickly, as to how both a) and b) can be true. The main idea is that for an institutional investor to be let in on the go-private deal (i.e. getting the option to buying out others at 420$/share), they would have to agree to refrain from buying on the open market until the deal is finalized. Others can choose to stay out of the deal, and instead accumulate shares now and either keep them or having them bought at 420 when the deal materializes. If this seems unclear then it is just because I could not explain it as well at neroden, whose posts one should never skip.

I mean I took the 15 minute compliance course at my company and I really don't think you can participate in a going private negotiation and buy stock on the open market. By doing so you would be acting on material nom-public information. Likewise they can't sell. But nothing to do now but wait and see I guess.

That would probably be the case, if they are currently negotiating privately with said investors, but only explain why the entities involved in that negotiation do not add. But there have to be players that won't be allowed to own big stakes in a private corp, so they will stay away from those negotiations. If there was a reasonable chance for a buyout at $420 to happen, i'd assume they would increase there holdings to profit from the upside, should that deal go through.

Reactions: kbM3

Bigger funds and institutions might be able to segregate their day-to-day trading staff from the going-private negotiators (by making sure the two groups do not talk to each other), but any bigger decisions like significantly increasing their stake due to attractive prices possibly needs the buy-in of the top guys who negotiate ...

But yes, the lack of big, organized buyers on the way from $280 to $305 was very visible in the price action.

There is a lot of speculation here about the possible partners that may have an interest to aquire a big stake in a private Tesla. This ranges from the Saudis over Silver Lake, to current institutional investors and what not. A lot of people seem to believe in a buyout at 420$ a share and some are speculating, it might even happen at a much higher price. There seems to be little doubt, that big money is interested enough to actually pull this off. Meanwhile the shareprice is more than $100 lower than the supposed buyout price.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That assumes the Saudis want a controlling stake, but Elon would not be willing to give up control. Yet they would still be available for a deal, where they do not get a controlling stake and have to pay more, since that's better than Elon quitting. Why wouldn't they just increase their current holdings at the discounted price to let's say 10% or 15%, leave it at that so they do not scare Elon away and safe a few billions in the process? And at the same time you'd have to assume non of the other interested parties is soaking up shares in the market.
I think your first sentence is really the key about what is going on in the market with TSLA right now: there is a lot of speculation. What is actually known?
  1. Elon is seriously considering making a formal offer to the Tesla Board to take Tesla private at the buyout price of $420. He believes he has the funding for it. He is in the process of figuring out which investors would be part of private Tesla. He has indicated he wants to allow current investors to be able to stay invested in private Tesla, and he is going to try to make that happen.
  2. The Saudis are a significant part of the investor group but the breakdown of the investors is not known at this time.
  3. The Tesla Board is preparing for a formal buyout proposal from Elon.
  4. The SEC appears to be formally investigating Elon over his tweet about having funding secured to take Tesla private. Neither the SEC or Tesla have confirmed this. This information has all come from anonymous sources "familiar with the matter."
  5. The stock climbed to a close of $379 following Elon's announcement. Subsequently, it has fallen to $305.

There has been very recent speculation from the media that the Tesla Board was blindsided by Elon's tweet, and that several members are angry with Elon. The media is strongly suggesting that Elon needs a leave of absence or maybe should even be fired. The media is also speculating that the Board is now in crisis mode trying to figure out what to do about Elon. The media have speculated that the Board is urgently trying to find a COO to take over day to day operations from Elon.

All of this mixed together has resulted in the stock price dropping to where it is now. Is the stock acting REALLY volatile? Yep. Should it have risen as high as it did based on Elon's announcement? Should it have fallen as far as it has subsequently? There is no concrete evidence to seriously suggest that the Tesla Board won't be getting a proposal from Elon to take Tesla private. If that is in fact the next step we see happen, what will the market do with the stock price? Stay tuned...

Workaholics work hard for long hours. When things get tough they work harder. I wouldn't worry about the 120 hour weeks, because it won't last long: either Tesla becomes profitable and he goes back to regular workaholic weeks, or the company collapses.

PS People have talked about Ambien, but haven't said whether it's the slow-release version. There's a big difference between having difficulty getting to sleep, and true insomnia.

• Love
Reactions: madodel
Arianna Huffington is right.
I think they both are right, at this particular moment. Elon had to bet the company on model 3. He had to take over production in the spring to do everything possible to bring production up to 5,000+ per week as soon as possible. They appear to be now on the cusp of sustaining that level. I think he feels he still needs to be there right now to keep this ramp progressing. Hopefully, he will be able to step back from that role soon, but not quite yet.

The main idea is that for an institutional investor to be let in on the go-private deal (i.e. getting the option to buying out others at 420$/share), they would have to agree to refrain from buying on the open market until the deal is finalized. Others can choose to stay out of the deal, and instead accumulate shares now and either keep them or having them bought at 420 when the deal materializes. If this seems unclear then it is just because I could not explain it as well at neroden, whose posts one should never skip.

No, i think it's clear and i understood what you wanted to say. I think that's what i was wondering about in my last post. Imho, this would assume that almost all current investors would want to join the private deal, which seems not very plausible. Afaik, many aren't even allowed to own private equity or are at least not known for doing so in the past. If that's the case (which i can't know for sure), it leaves the question open, why those entities do not buy given the current upside. This is again assuming there is a high probability that deal is going to happen. If chances for such a deal are low, i mostly agree with other bears, that Tesla may be in a bit of trouble because of the Tweets and accompanying market reaction.

Stay tuned...

Nice summary, thanks. Of course i'll stay tuned! Apart from hoping to make a bit of money, the whole story is way to interesting and entertaining to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.