Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see this posted yet: Stuart D. Meissner Esq. on Twitter

Video of the lawyer for the two "whistleblowers" on fox business this morning. I won't trash the guy, so I'll just say I took his performance as a positive piece of news for the company. And I'm long TSLA :).
Per his tweet, here comes the NYT again with more FUD I'm sure:

@StuartMeissner
Appeared on @Varneyco today re $TSLA .Good summary of whistleblower's to date but a lot more going on including upcoming @nytimes interview. Per my prior tweet. Tesla's statement is a joke if any reporter wishes to actually address it and hear our response

• Informative
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
What happened is Sandy got around to doing his job and looked at the Model 3 closely and found it surpassed his expectations.

First of all, are we sure Tesla is doing the sueing? That was just an assumption by MikeQ. Let’s not start extrapolating on the initial assumption. That is MO of SA. First a Bear author makes a assumption or hypothesis, which then gets referenced and responded to repeatedly. In a few iterations of this, the initial assumption/hypothesis is now fact and repeatedly stated as such.

Maybe it is Tesla doing the sueing, but why would they? The first review was not that great, but since then Munro has reversed his position and admitted he ‘ate crow’

Ihor Dusaniwsky‏ @ihors3 2m2 minutes ago
@TESLA short interest is $10.17 billion, 33.30 million shares shorted, 26.12% of float. Shorts had a volatile day; up $575 million in mark-to-market profits with $TSLA at $288.20/share but ending down $99 million at $308.44/share. 1.37 million short shares covered since The Tweet

DlEi_qFXcAENdqr.jpg

He Heloc'd the house.
That one particular transaction ties in about 0.26% of the house. Toronto prices and all that...
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this image & trade.. did you SELL puts here for JAn2020 at 420$ strike at a per share price of 151$?
Yes, that is correct. Only one contract today.
Effective price of TSLA share, if I have to buy in Jan 20 is $420-$151 = $269.
Happened at about SP $295, TD took 7 minutes to review and approve transaction. Quite annoying. I advise _against_ TD Direct in Canada.

Agree that we are at a point where we need to let this play itself out, but a competent AR/PR team would absolutely be working their connections temperature-taking and plotting a strategy to turn the narrative or redirect attention elsewhere.

As to your second point, I know it's popular to claim sales (advertising) influences the editorial side. As much as I am not a MSM cheerleader, I have never really found that to be the case. What I would imagine happening is the AR/PR teams for GM, VW, etc are reaching out to their contacts to feed them stories, rumors, etc. which simultaneously distracts the competition and keeps the focus of themselves.

Per his tweet, here comes the NYT again with more FUD I'm sure:

@StuartMeissner
Appeared on @Varneyco today re $TSLA .Good summary of whistleblower's to date but a lot more going on including upcoming @nytimes interview. Per my prior tweet. Tesla's statement is a joke if any reporter wishes to actually address it and hear our response

Yeah, I saw that. Definitely going to generate more FUD. I can't get a good read on the guy, but I have a feeling he simply doesn't know what he's gotten himself into. He retweets and engages shorts on twitter regularly. My guess is he's naive and thinks he's really doing "good work." The type of good work that spiderman does, not the type of good work that a competent lawyer should be doing. Best of luck to him. He's going to need it.

A competent PR department would probably be wise to stay mostly silent at this stage.

The main reason mass media is having a field day at the expense of Tesla is not the lack of message discipline.

I submit it's in large part because GM, Ford and Volkswagen are amongst the top 5 advertisers in almost every market, while Tesla isn't giving a single cent to the media.

So those advertisers are being handled with kid gloves, while Tesla is open season:
  • VW possibly killing thousands of asthmatics globally through poison gas emissions? It's not cold blooded murder, fraud and RICO conspiracy for profits, it's a "cheating" scandal as if it was some high school love triangle...
  • A single Tesla catching fire? Days long news cycle. Tesla CEO under stress to save the planet? Not a hero but an addict, unstable, unfit!
The double standard is nauseating - and a PR agency would probably only fan the flames by giving the FUD an air of credibility through standard denials...

That makes perfect sense! I never thought about this in terms of advertising revenue for mainstream media and always wondered why the double standard. Here’s a perfect example of a completely US based and manufactured car and media supports the foreign car makers instead! Your explanation is by far the most likely reason I have heard to date.

Reactions: lklundin
(You meant algo's, right? Fixed it in the quote.)

To me it looked like a fat finger trade: single ticket trade that cut through the book like a hot knife through butter: all the way from a $306 breakout down to $301 with a 200k shares order. Price recovered within minutes.

Few algos would do that, they'd be aware of the available liquidity in the order book.

There was over a million dollars of inefficiency in this single trade. (Whoever was selling could have ridden the breakout.)

Might have been a hasty console trader reaction to that news popup?

Saw a reply to you (can't find it now, perhaps removed?) by someone stating it might have been a broker accumulating throughout the day and moving to a client after hours. Never heard that before, but could see that happening. In this case, I don't think that was it as the book would probably be an all-or-noithing condition (I would think) and in this case it wasn't.

Here's the time in question I believe. Note the several large bid sizes:

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.45.25 PM.png

First of all, are we sure Tesla is doing the sueing?

Very unlikely.

My (wild) guess: big short bought exclusive access to the Munro report for $$$$$$$, to suppress the Tesla-positive news.

But key profit margin figures from the report leaked through their video anyway - which is why they got sued.

Other guess: flawed UBS teardown desperate to prove their short thesis right. They sue Munro to suppress the Munro report, for UBS to become the only (U.S.) Model 3 teardown in the market.

Total speculation.

I didn't see this posted yet: Stuart D. Meissner Esq. on Twitter

Video of the lawyer for the two "whistleblowers" on fox business this morning. I won't trash the guy, so I'll just say I took his performance as a positive piece of news for the company. And I'm long TSLA :).

Seems like there's a federal investigation going on. If the whistler blower is to be believed, wire tapping was approved. So they basically jeopardized the investigation into a Mexican cartel.

Status
Not open for further replies.