Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My gut feeling for what happens after Q1:
  • Huge miss, 1000/wk at March End, 5K target pushes out again -> $250
  • Big miss, 1500/wk at M/E, 5K target stays -> $300
  • Small miss, 2000/wk at ME, 5K target stays -> $330 (I think this is what people are expecting)
  • Barely hit, 2500/wk with hand waving, 5K target stays -> $350 (another hit in Q2 + margin improvement needed to really take off)
  • Big hit, 2500/wk without hand waving, 5K target stays -> $370
  • Huge hit, >2500/wk without hand waving, 5K target pull-in -> $400+
I focused mostly on the 5K target staying since Tesla has moved it twice so hopefully they're really confident about this. But it's also possible that Tesla comes close to the 2500/wk target but pushes out 5K target again, for example, in order to duck under the 200K sales threshold in the US until Q3. Depend on how it's communicated, I have no idea how that would be received.
This looks reasonable to me. I don't expect TSLA to share their sustained weekly production rate at the end of Q1, since it may very well be below their guidance. If so, to protect the stock, look for a burst rate to be quoted again, leaving investors to scratch their heads trying to figure out the actual weekly production rate. We will know the overall quarterly production and can compare that to expectations. If they produce about 11,500 for the quarter, that yields a production average of about 880 per week over the quarter. It seems like the ramp is currently going a little slower than anticipated right now, but if there is a burst of production near the end of the quarter and Tesla confirms successful startup of the Grohmann module production line, that could prove to be a strong positive catalyst for the stock.

Reactions: immunogold
  • Small miss, 2000/wk at ME, 5K target stays -> $330 (I think this is what people are expecting)
  • Barely hit, 2500/wk with hand waving, 5K target stays -> $350 (another hit in Q2 + margin improvement needed to really take off)
I focused mostly on the 5K target staying since Tesla has moved it twice so hopefully they're really confident about this. But it's also possible that Tesla comes close to the 2500/wk target but pushes out 5K target again, for example, in order to duck under the 200K sales threshold in the US until Q3. Depend on how it's communicated, I have no idea how that would be received.

First or last option would suit me... the rest is a bit "meh"

As long as we stay above the low made on 3/2, then I consider this to be day 2 of the next climb, even though we are going modestly downhill. If we make a new low then it reverts back to the prior dip, adding to the amount lost from the climb before that. If that happens, my next buy point is at $320, which is a drop of 11% from the prior high of $360. If we continue up, I will be looking to sell a wave of calls at $351, which is a climb of 9% from the recent low of $322.

Thanks for estimates. I am conflicted by thinking they will be producing enough batteries by end of Q1, but not enough cars. That plus possible claims to reaching 2500/wk in some burst makes me wary of which way it will go.

• Funny
Reactions: MitchJi
Status
Not open for further replies.