Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been rather amazed at how little discussion there has been about this.
I view this as great news. And if this has been in the works for a week or two, it adds some context to the executives leaving today.
Indeed. But I think we can all agree that Jerome is absolutely the best man for the job. It's really a no-brainer.

He has been such a rock for the company (and Elon) and has really good automotive experience pre-Tesla and plenty of impressive credits at Tesla. He knows the company, the people, has shepherded production startup and complete car projects. And he has been able to work with and under Elon for years. Beside JB and Deepak, he is one if the unsung heroes of the company.

@1kEE: Yeah, when option premiums are sky high and the price is depressed, I've been tempted to sell puts... until I realized that, even though I'd love to have 100 shares at $lowprice per share, I don't actually have the funds to do it, especially not on short notice if the option gets exercised.

@Matias: It's... complicated. It's federally illegal. Technically, if the feds wanted to, they could send the DEA in and arrest someone for marijuana. However, doing so would spark a states' rights crisis, and California would likely make the DEA agents' lives hell, as much as legally possible, to deter it.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
@Matias: It's... complicated. It's federally illegal. Technically, if the feds wanted to, they could send the DEA in and arrest someone for marijuana. However, doing so would spark a states' rights crisis, and California would likely make the DEA agents' lives hell, as much as legally possible, to deter it.

Ok. I have to admit, I don't fully understand the U.S. system. So something can be legal in some particular state but still illegal in the United States?

• Disagree
Reactions: Kalllagtunet
It's... complicated. It's federally illegal. Technically, if the feds wanted to, they could send the DEA in and arrest someone for marijuana. However, doing so would spark a states' rights crisis, and California would likely make the DEA agents' lives hell, as much as legally possible, to deter it.

SHORTSVILLE TIMES:

With SEC investigation ratcheting up, DEA opens investigation into Elon Musk, sources familiar to the thinking of the DEA say.

Ok. I have to admit, I don't fully understand the U.S. system. So something can be legal in some particular state but still illegal in the United States?
Yes.

Basically, think of how... you have the EU, and then you have the EU member states. Things can be mandated or illegal at the EU level, but not mandated or not illegal at the member level (which usually means that the member's laws have lagged behind the EU, not a case like this, where California has explicitly changed laws to misalign with federal law).

It's just that the US has apparatus to enforce law against individuals at the federal level for certain crimes. In some cases it's restricted, in some it's not. And, conversely, the EU has more levers to force a member to change laws AFAIK, whereas the US's federal levers are more along the lines of blocking a law's effect or directly enforcing a federal law where there is no state law. (Another example of this is... we still have a lot of state laws forbidding things like gay marriage and interracial marriage, but due to Supreme Court rulings, it's illegal for the states to enforce those laws. They're still on the books, though, because nothing prevents the states from having those laws, only enforcing them.)

The ignore feature doesn't allow you to ignore all the responses to the nonsense.

So you end up ignoring only ~20% of the nonsense.

Indeed, that's why I have no-one on ignore, the whole thread becomes even more bizarre. At least when you see the trolls posting you can skim the content quickly and move on.

If I were in charge and of a draconian nature, then I'd close posting in the investor section until Q3 EC - anyone who's actually genuinely invested in Tesla is like already registered here already, all the new ones recently have just been trolls.

So some of today's price action may well have been new shorts jumping in and selling to smarter shorts that are covering at a damn good price to cover at.

The potential burn for someone who shorted Tesla in the 250s could be epic ;)

Wall Street has huge misunderstanding of all the money Tesla spent ( they like to call it burned) on infrastructure, supercharger, stores etc, all this infrastructure has been massively underutilized but now with Model 3 at volume production all this assets will be measured against much higher revenue and profit.

This. Most superchargers spend most of their time idle, existing only to make travel possible between distant locations, not because they're frequently used. Increased numbers of Model 3s increases utilization of hardware that's already built. The required increase in stations is anything but linear with Model 3 fleet volumes.

Well I mean this doesn't make sense, if someone is going to be the de-facto COO, then name him the COO. I don't get the beating around the bush here. Unless there's a formally named COO, there is no COO.

But let's see what happens now, especially with the hints that they are going well with production and deliveries.
I'm not familiar with the terminology president vs COO? Layman as I would think "president" is higher than "COO" :p

;)It' nice to have one's predudices confirmed
IMG_0950.PNG

Incorrect, Tesla needs to take major market share or the ICE companies will revert to prioritizing ICE vehicles where they make alot on parts and service. Tesla needs to keep growing. Long TSLA.

ah, but I never said they shouldn't or wouldn't keep growing. But there's a difference between them being the sole auto manufacturer and them prodding the market into adopting EV. Or, to use another Apple comparison: did Apple stop growing simply because android phones were released? Seems like they have a large market cap despite not being the only smart phone manufacturer.

Now, Apple didn't (and doesn't) have a mission statement like Tesla's. But the iPhone revolutionized the cellphone industry anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: loky
Isn't smoking weed legal in California?

Is is legal under California law.

No State or Local law enforcement will arrest you for smoking marijuana in California.

That doesn't prevent Federal authorities from arresting sellers or users of marijuana. Federal authorities have to prioritize how they spend their resources, including prisons. Pretty much all US prisons are at full capacity and in some cases exceed stated capacity.

We have a Federal system in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.