Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, that's fair, but the vast majority of people can't handle the "startup life" for more than ten years straight. Even those who like the "startup life" generally get bored doing it at *one company* for ten years. And the chaos is frankly incompatible with having 40,000 employees.

Not relevant what the majority of people can handle. Tesla isn’t hiring nor employing the vast majority of people. And ten years at one company is a long time nowadays to work for any company. Long gone are the days where people want to start and finish their careers at one company.

You’re making too much out if it.

It’s not a secret you have to be special to work at Tesla. There’s no excuse for a CAO not to know BEFORE being hired that Tesla isn’t a walk in the park and long hours are required. I think his public statement was bs otherwise I have to conclude he’s too stupid to work there. And he had no clue the scrutiny Tesla is under? Give me a break.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Meh, one can rip down the "competition hypothesis" far better than that. Tesla makes more batteries than everyone else combined, and is growing it faster - 30% capacity increase by the end of the year alone. How are they supposed to make a competitive volume of EVs without a competitive volume of batteries?

Announced "competitor" volumes are correspondingly tiny. Kona, 18,6k/yr. Niro, 21k/yr. I-Pace, E-Tron and Taycan, 10-30k/yr. This isn't even going to keep up with the global growth in EV demand, let alone "kill Tesla". And many are getting delayed.

Excepting the Taycan, they all charge at a tiny fraction of the speed (mph/kph) of Teslas. People who know nothing of EVs obsess over range as the only stat that matters, but in the real world buyers want "enough" range for their daily life, and once they have that, charge speed replaces range as the parameter of interest. Teslas are "charge while you eat a meal" cars, while the others (excepting Taycan) are "charge while you catch a short movie" cars. There's a massive practicality difference.

Furthermore, they all charge from a poorly maintained, patchwork network that's many years behind Tesla. This isn't some sort of pro-Tesla hype; even most people whose cars use CCS concede this. Check out Plugshare and click through CCS stations and note the disturbingly high minority of stations that are down - often the only charger at a site. And these disjoint networks usually have their own unique payment and/or membership requirements, making travel all the more difficult. This is the disaster you get when you (as an automaker) abrogate responsibility for recharging the vehicles that you manufacture.

And meanwhile? Tesla is anything but stationary. They're a rapidly moving target.

The "competition hypothesis" keeps failing year-after-year (despite how firmly the shorts keep believing in it) because they fail to understand these facts.

Last edited:
Meh, one can rip down the "competition hypothesis" far better than that. Tesla makes more batteries than everyone else combined, and is growing it faster - 30% capacity increase by the end of the year alone. How are they supposed to make EVs without batteries?

Announced "competitor" volumes are correspondingly tiny. Kona, 18,6k/yr. Niro, 21k/yr. I-Pace, E-Tron and Taycan, 10-30k/yr. This isn't even going to keep up with the global growth in EV demand, let alone "kill Tesla". And many are getting delayed.

Excepting the Taycan, they all charge at a tiny fraction of the speed (mph/kph) of Teslas. People who know nothing of EVs obsess over range as the only stat that matters, but in the real world buyers want "enough" range for their daily life, and once they have that, charge speed replaces range as the parameter of interest. Teslas are "charge while you eat a meal" cars, while the others (excepting Taycan) are "charge while you catch a short movie" cars. There's a massive practicality difference. Furthermore, they all charge from a poorly maintained, patchwork network that's many years behind Tesla.

And meanwhile? Tesla is anything but stationary. They're a rapidly moving target.

The "competition hypothesis" keeps failing year-after-year (despite how firmly the shorts keep believing in it) because they fail to understand these facts.
I agree there is a stronger case but I give the guy credit for basically stating that the competition argument is a non issue. At least it's a start.

Dan

Yep, he must be talking about Model 3. Clearly tired and needs some sleep.

I wish that Jerome Guillen and Dave Arnold would make announcements until Musk has gotten enough sleep to proofread his letters.

His email, not letter, wasn’t meant for ‘us’ but for employees who would inherently know what he was talking about without having to spell it out in the most exacting form to be dissected syllable by syllable.

or people could just use the existing Ignore feature and stop requesting new features be added to the forum software.
I've only got half a dozen people on ignore, however the number of replies that look out of context due to not seeing posts by ignored "contributors" is still pretty extensive and definitely detracts from the overall engagement in this thread.

Reactions: MikeC
Capture.PNG

Thoughts?

(Source)
VICKI SALVADOR on Twitter

Thought: they’re smashing records this week

Thats "smashing records" is consistent with the employee letter released. Thats huge news and should get much more attention. She was a reliable source last quarter as well.

Elon: "We are about to have the most amazing quarter in our history, building and delivering more than twice as many cars as we did last quarter." So this is building and delivering!

This is from a letter from Elon who did not lie before despite the shorts try to convince me but failed.

3 weeks are left from the quarter and we have an about throughput time to delivery of 3 weeks. IOW all what is produced until today plus some outliner will be delivered but not much from what will be produced in the next 3 weeks.

That said Elon makes therefore a statement based on knowledge on actual numbers and not predicting the future. Would love to see this picked up from the media. If true they crash all expectations for the market.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Thats "smashing records" is consistent with the employee letter released. Thats huge news and should get much more attention. She was a reliable source last quarter as well.

Elon: "We are about to have the most amazing quarter in our history, building and delivering more than twice as many cars as we did last quarter." So this is building and delivering!

This is from a letter from Elon who did not lie before despite the shorts try to convince me but failed.

3 weeks are left from the quarter and we have an about throughput time to delivery of 3 weeks. IOW all what is produced until today plus some outliner will be delivered but not much from what will be produced in the next 3 weeks.

That said Elon makes therefore a statement based on knowledge on actual numbers and not predicting the future. Would love to see this picked up from the media. If true they crash all expectations for the market.

I too want to see it picked up by the media.
But only after my shipment of fresh powder arrives and is properly utilized ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.