Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I will add that from now on. Need all 31 of you to retweet the others with that hashtag as if i do it as a comment it looks dumb.
I'll make a twitter account just for this purpose. I've held out this long on joining the platform. I'll get on it after work :)

Beg to differ. In about 10 years old age Tesla cars will show the benefit of low maintenance. If I am in a family of 4 earning 40k per year and only can afford used cars, which one would I buy? Would I buy the one that I don't need to worry about engine slug transmission trouble alternator replacement?
That's the question isn't it? No one has fallen out of warranty yet on the motors or battery packs. Once that happens we will know for sure if 8 yr old cars will be sought after or become expensive backyard planters. It will all depend on replacement prices.

A similar problem exists for the 2003 and newer MB SL-Class cars with their Active Body Control systems. These link the power steering into a very expensive 3,000 psi hydraulic system for the suspension. Total cost to replace is about $10,000 with labor. The main pump alone is $2,200. It has severely depressed used car values. Several vendors have developed non-hydraulic replacements but those are about $5,000 with labor. You will see cars with failed systems pop up on used car ads and Ebay with HUGE discounts from owners who cannot afford to fix their cars. Whether Tesla owners will fall into the same trap remains to be seen in the early 2020's.

Last edited:
Due to the 40% tariff, it would be idiotic to send new Model 3's to be sold in China ahead of Europe. Even for training, makes little sense to ship to China ahead of Europe.

It makes sense for several reasons:
  • Imported luxury cars are very popular in China, and they cost twice as much. Tesla is not an outlier, and since everyone pays the same tariffs no one has an advantage. The addressable market gets reduced, but demand for luxury EVs is still huge - and the remaining demand gets covered by ICE manufacturers. A Tesla Model 3 not sold today in China can easily be a lost sale to a BMW 3-series.
  • Tesla would want to "develop" their Model 3 market: 2020 and the first Model 3's from Shanghai are only 1.5-2 years away. They want more market penetration, brand recognition, local reviews, Model 3 Performance units out on the roads, etc.
  • Consumers like options. They might be drawn in by a showroom Model 3, and might end up buying a Model S or X.
  • There are always risks when introducing a new model: some regulatory, compliance or logistics hickup could slow down deliveries in a region unexpectedly. So having redundancy reduces those risks
  • The European version is affected by a 10% tariff - which Tesla's main ICE competitors (German luxury car makers) are not affected by. Tesla could avoid the 10% tariff only by doing final assembly in Europe, but their assembly factory in the Netherlands possibly doesn't have the capacity for that. Tesla also has non-trivial transportation costs to Europe.
  • In China all main competitors are paying the same tariffs, and transportation distances are similar, so Tesla is on a more level playing field.
Tariffs on luxury goods can be passed down to customers to a fair degree. As long as demand is there there's effectively no downside for Tesla to sell Model 3's on the Chinese market.

The best strategy for Tesla would be to introduce high trim versions on both the European and the Chinese markets, in parallel.

That's the rub. No one has fallen out of warranty yet on the motors or battery packs. Once that happens we will know for sure if 8 yr old cars will be sought after or become expensive backyard planters. It will all depend on replacement prices.

A similar problem exists for the 2003 and newer MB SL-Class cars with their Active Body Control systems. These link the power steering into a very expensive 3,000 psi hydraulic system for the suspension. Total cost to replace is about $10,000 with labor. The main pump alone is $2,200. It has severely depressed used car values. Several vendors have developed non-hydraulic replacements but those are about $5,000 with labor. You will see cars with failed systems pop up on used car ads and Ebay with HUGE discounts from owners who cannot afford to fix their cars. Whether Tesla owners will fall into the same trap remains to be seen in the early 2020's.

"severe" "expensive" "HUGE" "trap"

Ah Beachbum, stop being such a fuddy duddy. This post is totally irrelevant and 100% hypothetical and adds NOTHING material to discussion of Tesla

Last edited:
It makes sense for several reasons:
  • Imported luxury cars are very popular in China, and they cost twice as much. Tesla is not an outlier, and since everyone pays the same tariffs no one has an advantage. The addressable market gets reduced, but demand for luxury EVs is still huge - and the remaining demand gets covered by ICE manufacturers. A Tesla Model 3 not sold today in China can easily be a lost sale to a BMW 3-series.
  • Tesla would want to "develop" their Model 3 market: 2020 and the first Model 3's from Shanghai are only 1.5-2 years away. They want more market penetration, brand recognition, local reviews, Model 3 Performance units out on the roads, etc.
  • Consumers like options. They might be drawn in by a showroom Model 3, and might end up buying a Model S or X.
  • There are always risks when introducing a new model: some regulatory, compliance or logistics hickup could slow down deliveries in a region unexpectedly. So having redundancy reduces those risks
  • The European version is affected by a 10% tariff - which Tesla's main ICE competitors (German luxury car makers) are not affected by. Tesla could avoid the 10% tariff only by doing final assembly in Europe, but their assembly factory in the Netherlands possibly doesn't have the capacity for that. Tesla also has non-trivial transportation costs to Europe.
  • In China all main competitors are paying the same tariffs, and transportation distances are similar, so Tesla is on a more level playing field.
Tariffs on luxury goods can be passed down to customers to a fair degree. As long as demand is there there's effectively no downside for Tesla to sell Model 3's on the Chinese market.

The best strategy for Tesla would be to introduce high trim versions on both the European and the Chinese markets, in parallel.
Are you saying the Chinese will buy an ICE BMW if a Model 3 is not available instead of a new or used Model S?

Alright, I will add that from now on. Need all 31 of you to retweet the others with that hashtag as if i do it as a comment it looks dumb.
Ha! Highly doubt my bot followers care! ;)

A problems is, I've started following many here and with everyone retweeting the same posts, timelines just get blown out. It's actually funny watching the activity pane in Tweetdeck scroll non stop at times. Shame they can't be forced on the tslaq gang!

Starting to think I should create a Tesla only Twitter act.

Are you saying the Chinese will buy an ICE BMW if a Model 3 is not available instead of a new or used Model S?

Tesla's margin is probably already higher on a fully optioned $80k Model 3 Performance, than on a minimum spec $80k Model S.

So it makes business sense to convert Model S sales to Model 3 P sales, as long as their overall new orders demand is strong - which it is.

There's literally no downside to selling high trim versions of the Model 3 in China and in Europe, using their established sales network. In fact it would reduce the per unit SG&A overhead, as most of the infrastructure can be shared.

NO.

The Put writers (sellers) aren't in charge. The Put buyers are the ones who have the choice to exercise, sell or do nothing with the option.

The writer can, of course, nullify the Put by repurchasing it (i.e., buy-to-close).

Are you disagreeing with me? I don't get it. Of course I was talking about those who bought the puts

Reactions: AMN and humbaba
NO.

The Put writers (sellers) aren't in charge. The Put buyers are the ones who have the choice to exercise, sell or do nothing with the option.

The writer can, of course, nullify the Put by repurchasing it (i.e., buy-to-close).

You guys are saying the same thing. The put option someone buys is an option to *sell* shares at a given price, regardless of the current market price.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Are you disagreeing with me? I don't get it. Of course I was talking about those who bought the puts
You didn't make it clear that you were referring to the buyers instead of the writers...

ABCTG said: ↑

So, with 10,391 $300 puts at close, does that mean the put writers will each get assigned 100 shares of TSLA?

You replied:

No. They would have the OPTION to sell shares at that strike price

Status
Not open for further replies.