Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't hit that low, because even if the SEC provide a, iron-clad case, and even if you hate Musk, the worst that will happen is a relatively small fine and Musk being removed. Tesla won't vanish and some people think Tesla will be better managed without him - regardless he'll still be a major decision maker owning almost 20% of the company.

He could easily still work for Tesla, just not CEO. It would be the same setup as SpaceX and I suspect Elon would enjoy the work more.

Oh hey, there's troll Mike again. Mods, do your job.

On topic: awaiting Tesla's reaction. I think stalling this is in elon's and tesla's best interest. In 2 years, tesla will be unstoppable

I’m leaning towards temporary removal as ceo and promotion of straubel. Separating all the drama is one unfortunate action. It would allow Tesla to have a clean slate, and any short term issues would have a fall guy.

Elon knows he has to fall on the sword - he nearly said as much during (was it MK’s interview? - he said the worst was yet to come for him but Tesla would be fine operationally). But he can play this out where everything continues as planned with the possibility of a normal return aka Steve Jobs.

Tesla needs a solid voice and once with a technical background will ease the temporary transition. I think JB named within next 24 hours. Just a guess.

Mod: Don't you think this is a bit premature, especially for serious investors either short or long?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate this.
Even Tom Randall, who usually is mild in his words, his writing tweets like this one:
Tom Randall on Twitter
"If found guilty, Musk could face hundreds of millions in fines, be barred from running a public company, even conceivably face prison time, former SEC chairman told Business Insider in August"

Is this accurate?
it is "opinion" of Harvey Pitt. Dude was kicked out of SEC during Busch presidency He became famous by making his buddy Webster a chairman of SEC Oversight board. The irony was that Webster himself was a target of SEC fraud investigation.
Pitt is now one of the paid clowns on CNBC and other channels. First statement can become true, the rest is typical bs. Tom Randall is not mild in his words, he is just a bit smarter than the rest of the pack so less repulsive.

BTW., in case anyone has any doubts about the SEC's purpose here, here's how the SEC writes gushingly about short 'investors':

https://cdn.pacermonitor.com/pdfser..._Exchange_v_Musk__nysdce-18-08865__0001.0.pdf

"In 2018, stock analysts and investors increasingly began to question whether Tesla could meet its previously announced production targets and begin to earn sufficient cash in order to sustain its operations and pay its existing debt load. By August 2018, more than $13 billion worth of Tesla shares were being “shorted,” meaning they were sold by investors who did not own them at the time of the sale. Investors who sell stock short typically believe the price of the stock will fall and hope to buy the stock at the lower price to cover their short positions and earn a profit. If the price of the stock rises, short sellers who then exit their short positions by purchasing the stock at the higher price will incur losses"​

So shorts are apparently investor who did not own the stock 'at that time'. Good to know!

So is it the SEC's position that it's now the fiduciary duty of Tesla board members to hurt the company, to help these short 'investors'?

Oh hey, there's troll Mike again. Mods, do your job.

On topic: awaiting Tesla's reaction. I think stalling this is in elon's and tesla's best interest. In 2 years, tesla will be unstoppable
If this happened in Belgium, it would be easy to stall this for 20 years (remember Lernhout & Hauspie).

It won't hit that low, because even if the SEC provide a, iron-clad case, and even if you hate Musk, the worst that will happen is a relatively small fine and Musk being removed. Tesla won't vanish and some people think Tesla will be better managed without him - regardless he'll still be a major decision maker owning almost 20% of the company.

From the press conference it seemed that the SEC was saying that removal as CEO was NOT in the cards unless that's what the board/shareholders want. As upset as I've been with his irresponsible tweeting I would not want him removed. Hoping that I'm understanding that correctly.

BTW., in case anyone has any doubts about the SEC's purpose here, here's how the SEC writes gushingly about short 'investors':

https://cdn.pacermonitor.com/pdfser..._Exchange_v_Musk__nysdce-18-08865__0001.0.pdf

"In 2018, stock analysts and investors increasingly began to question whether Tesla could meet its previously announced production targets and begin to earn sufficient cash in order to sustain its operations and pay its existing debt load. By August 2018, more than $13 billion worth of Tesla shares were being “shorted,” meaning they were sold by investors who did not own them at the time of the sale. Investors who sell stock short typically believe the price of the stock will fall and hope to buy the stock at the lower price to cover their short positions and earn a profit. If the price of the stock rises, short sellers who then exit their short positions by purchasing the stock at the higher price will incur losses"​

So shorts are apparently investor who did not own the stock 'at that time'. Good to know!

So is it the SEC's position that it's now the fiduciary duty of Tesla board members to hurt the company, to help these short 'investors'?
Good point, are they Outversers? Divesters? Devesters? Maybe a contraction, sinvestors?

From the press conference it seemed that the SEC was saying that removal as CEO was NOT in the cards unless that's what the board/shareholders want. As upset as I've been with his irresponsible tweeting I would not want him removed. Hoping that I'm understanding that correctly.

Can we have an emergency vote of the shareholders? That should cause at least a little of the shorted shares to be recalled and we can find out what the actual investors want to do!

Good point, are they Outversers? Divesters? Devesters? Maybe a contraction, sinvestors?

Shorts are anti-investors: when investors gain then shorts lose, when investors lose shorts gain.

It's the SEC's job to protect investors, and thus, by definition, it's the SEC's job and duty to protect them from anti-investors...

I own puts, so the lower it goes, the happier I am. I am trying to be pragmatic here based on how the stock has reacted year to date.

That said, I could see 200. I'd like to see 0, but I see this stock being even more volatile w/ higher volume going forward.

Seriously, wtf are you doing here?

Yes this - pretty much nails it.

The other thing is to look at why Tesla didn't actually go private. It wasn't because there wasn't money and weren't parties to make it happen (there clearly were) it was because 5 of the top 6 Shareholders (various funds) would not be able to retain a stake in the new private company (ironically because of SEC restrictions) and (understandably) wanted to stay invested in Tesla.

One additional piece of evidence that helps Musk (albeit intuitively) is that the share price never got anywhere close to $420 - it peaked just under $380 and dropped again. Why? Because aside from panicking shorts, no one took Musk's tweet to mean "we're definitely going private". The SEC is over stating the influence of the tweet, and as you said before cannot prove intent.

Not disagreeing. But I think if Elon finds out his chance of being removed is high, he will try to take the company private again.

I did not hear that, I only heard that Elon can remain CEO untill a court decision (or the board) decides otherwise.

Trump made an exemption for apple parts in his tariffs even though most of apple's factories are in China. That's how powerful apple is.

Or maybe because no American company or workers would benefit from tariffs on Chinese made smartphones and parts. Because there is no American company that makes smartphones in America.

Only Korean companies and Korean workers at the expense of American companies and American/Chinese workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.