Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what your chart shows is that majority of the drop in excess of interest rate movements can likely be attributed to the Moody's downgrade - a rather spurious event not followed by S&P. And given that the bonds never traded at par, another couple of points can be attributed to investor enthusiasm at issuance - Investor mispricing should hardly be considered reflection in the changing credit quality of Tesla.

I agree that the bond price is worth watching, however the current price does not cause too much concern.

But S&P was already B- negative outlook before Moodys caught up to them with B3 negative outlook????

My concern is the credit rating that supports price along with the liquidity of the Company. The Cs would be a hyper ugly, hyper expensive problem yet will the Agencies ignore governance issues while the SEC drama plays out on twitter? Both Moody's and S&P paid their fines to the SEC, and this will be tough for them both to ignore. Let's hope the SEC debacle is resolved quickly. BTW curious if you have a price in mind that would concern you? Appreciate your perspective.

Moody's to pay $16.25 mln to settle SEC charges | Reuters
SEC.gov | SEC Announces Charges Against Standard & Poor’s for Fraudulent Ratings Misconduct

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning
Disagree because Saudi doesn't have a base or even work force for setting up a large industry. The footprint of these gigafactories will be so big that it's hard to get enough people into even the Reno area.

If Saudi wants to industrialize, start small.. like solar panel assembly, etc. Or something like a tilburg type facility.

It might be hard to get people right now but that is precisely why they want Tesla to start manufacturing in their country. 70% of Saudi population are under 30. With hundress of Billions set aside for this, they could start building and training their workforce. In fact they already are pushing to increase workforce. For example, Tesla could use some of the 10 million expats, hire new ones or college grads for higher skilled positions while hiring locals for assembly line, etc. Not a bad way to add to their plan of reducing unemployment rate to 7% over 12 years from the teens. It might not be overnight but seems they are getting ready quickly for foreign businesses and investments.
http://tradearabia.com/touch/article/BANK/345355

Chances might not be high, but I would guess A Tesla GF starting in 2019 would not be impossible, if The prince supports. Given they were interested in solar farm previously though, I tend to agree if anything this new deal may have to do with that instead. Or tech, Which is also sorta “ far away from oil”. We’ll find out soon enough.

2 neighbors flagged me down today to ask me about my Model 3. I was surprised at their lack of any knowledge for the Model 3 or Tesla at all. This is how it really is in the real world, still tons of people out there that know next to nothing about electric cars. But word of mouth is spreading, people are seeing more and more Model 3's out there. Demand will continue to rise because out in the real world, people really really want this car.[/QUOTE]

Very few people understand Tesla, or their products. I don't understand why Tesla refuses to take any measure to educate the public and build the brand. Of course, it can't grow fast enough, doesn't have enough money and has severe problems with representation in the press.

No one knows that range anxiety is null and void in a Tesla... no one except Tesla owners. No one understands that you can charge your car at home, at night, at low cost and never stop at a gas station. No one knows that you can drive through California and the car will plan your charging stops.

Tesla and EM's image are constantly vilified by the press, but I never see anything done about it... The hit piece by the NYT cost the company millions of dollars in SP and brand value... Did anyone at Tesla make an effort to stop it? Correct it, Counter the story.

I don't particularly like marketing or spending money on AD budgets... but come on... the customers are not getting it done all by themselves, I try but the number of people I can reach everyday is meaningless. EM does what he can, but sometimes he is just not the right person... a number of his tweets have been destructive. And... isn't he a little busy running a number of disruptive companies. Busy, too tired, and likely too smart to answer stupid questions repeatedly.

Remember all of Apple's ads. Apple too was vilified. They had the entire MS Windows world (everybody) hating them because of Apples price and status, (sound familiar?). But Apple made the commitment to be creative about it, got extended press regarding their ads, won awards for their advertising, and now have reached the market cap EM aspires to... Why not copy success?

I understand that Tesla can not make the product fast enough... volume is a failure point... but the press is tearing apart this company and nothing is being done to stop it.

Another rant of mine about advertising, preached to the opposite of the choir... disagree away...

but.... how are sales going to grow? (I also really need to know how production volume could grow, without raising additional capital, cannot wait for this ER)

Tesla and EM's image are constantly vilified by the press, but I never see anything done about it... The hit piece by the NYT cost the company millions of dollars in SP and brand value... Did anyone at Tesla make an effort to stop it? Correct it, Counter the story.

I don't particularly like marketing or spending money on AD budgets... but come on... the customers are not getting it done all by themselves, I try but the number of people I can reach everyday is meaningless. EM does what he can, but sometimes he is just not the right person... a number of his tweets have been destructive. And... isn't he a little busy running a number of disruptive companies. Busy, too tired, and likely too smart to answer stupid questions repeatedly.

I think 2 things, 1) Tesla can't fulfill all their orders as-is. There's no reason to launch an ad campaign, have a bunch of people place orders, then have a bunch of people pissed off they can't get their cars fast enough. There is no demand issues, therefore there's no reason to increase the number of unhappy people as people generally don't like to wait. They can pull on that demand lever anytime they want to, but right now they simply don't need to.

and 2) my neighbors knew nothing about the bad press. I think people on the internet forums, reddit, and such live in a bubble. I live in this bubble because I work on the internet. But people tend to think oh America is going to hate Tesla or Elon Musk because the stock prices dropped, or because the short sellers & media talk bad about them. Eh, for people who don't know anything about Tesla, and I would say that's majority of Americans, they are likely not invested in Tesla. If they are not invested, they are not following the stocks, and they are not watching the news. They are also very unlikely to just hop on a forum like this randomly and read the investor roundtable.

So I think yes the stock movement do affect people who are invested. It does not however affect majority of the every day Americans out there. And let's be real, CNBC's ratings suck. Every day people simply don't waste their time watching CNBC lol. People have better things to do. I don't think you need to worry about public's perception of Tesla or Elon Musk that much.

People that have seen or experienced a Tesla absolutely love them, they are amazed by what Tesla cars can do. They all say Model 3 is the future and it's their dream car if they could afford one. And contrary to whatever the press tried to tell you, people loved Elon Musk on Joe Rogan's show. The like to dislike ratio on that interview is off the charts. The comments section are filled with people who just got to know Elon for the first time and fell in love with the man and what he's trying to do.

The real world perception of Tesla & Elon are vastly different from what the people on the forums and the market suggest. So the real question is...when is the market going to catch up to reality?

Very few people understand Tesla, or their products. I don't understand why Tesla refuses to take any measure to educate the public and build the brand. Of course, it can't grow fast enough, doesn't have enough money and has severe problems with representation in the press.

No one knows that range anxiety is null and void in a Tesla... no one except Tesla owners. No one understands that you can charge your car at home, at night, at low cost and never stop at a gas station. No one knows that you can drive through California and the car will plan your charging stops.

Remember all of Apple's ads. Apple too was vilified. They had the entire MS Windows world (everybody) hating them because of Apples price and status, (sound familiar?). But Apple made the commitment to be creative about it, got extended press regarding their ads, won awards for their advertising, and now have reached the market cap EM aspires to... Why not copy success?

I understand that Tesla can not make the product fast enough... volume is a failure point... but the press is tearing apart this company and nothing is being done to stop it.

Another rant of mine about advertising, preached to the opposite of the choir... disagree away...

but.... how are sales going to grow? (I also really need to know how production volume could grow, without raising additional capital, cannot wait for this ER)

Right now they don’t need sales to grow. They don’t need more people to know about them. They already almost got crushed under the weight of severe over-demand(and are now apparently being investigated by the SEC for announcing their plans to try to address that demand in a reasonable timescale) vs their ability to supply the cars. That won’t always be the case, but for now word of mouth is generating more interest and sales than they’re capable of addressing.

Also, keep in mind that it’s not just you educating friends and neighbors about the cars. There are ~282,000 Teslas in the US and those owners are doing the same thing.

It's becoming clear to me that Elon will fight this case with the SEC. He believes they are treating him unfairly, being driven by the short sellers, and he plans to fight and expose them.

Instead of calling him crazy or reprimanding him, if you are long you should be supporting him. It will only strengthen his hand as he negotiates a path forward with the SEC. If the SEC sees that his base is fragmenting, they will take advantage.

So cut the crap, stop psychoanalyzing Elon and start supporting Elon as he fights for what is right and what he believes in.

The SEC will cave under the pressure, not Elon imho but only if they see that Elon has strong support from his investor base. Elon already sees their weakness and that's why he hired the trial lawyer and tweeted implying that the SEC settlement was unfair to him. What an embarrassment a loss in court would be to the SEC.

Last edited:
For years we have been dealing with shorts who have ruthlessly attacked this company with no sense of right or wrong and no concern for our planets future. Elon shows some courage and fights the establishment and you abandon him, pathetic. Grow some balls and realize that the cute acronym shorts enrichment commission does no harm to anybody and only acknowledges what we all know is true - that the system is rigged against clean energy, against the status quo. you shouldn't be angry at Elon. You should be angry st the supposedly impartial SEC which magically made this lawsuit appear 4 days before the best delivery numbers in the companies history. That's no coincidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.