Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need more Uber drivers with Model 3's...
They do not pencil out. Just too expensive to operate a Model 3 full-time without commercial access to SC use. The monthly payments, lack of a lease program, higher insurance, and shorter warranty on drivetrain and battery pack just don't work for high mileage operations. Without SC access a driver is limited to what he can charge at home for hours of operation. It would only work for a very part-time gig and perhaps for a referral-gathering exercise.

Using a decent MPG gas car gives a driver a much better ROI. There are some nice late model sedans and vans on the used market for $11-15,000 with lots of rear seat legroom, wider seating, or third-row seating, and larger cargo spaces. Even with gas and maintenance, they pencil out much better than a base $50,000 Model 3 without in-town SC access.

In the article they estimate 500,000 cars per year for Chinese in 5 years, so around September 2023.
2025 is a more likely timeframe to reach 500,000 per year even with the knowledge gained from Fremont. The animosity the Chinese are developing towards the U.S. because of Trump's trade policies could have far-reaching implications for American companies selling products in China even if they are being manufactured in China.

Last edited:
They do not pencil out. Just too expensive to operate a Model 3 full-time without commercial access to SC use. The monthly payments, lack of a lease program, higher insurance, and shorter warranty on drivetrain and battery pack just don't work for high mileage operations. Without SC access a driver is limited to what he can charge at home for hours of operation. It would only work for a very part-time gig and perhaps for a referral-gathering exercise.

Using a decent MPG gas car gives a driver a much better ROI. There are some nice late model sedans and vans on the used market for $11-15,000 with lots of rear seat legroom, wider seating, or third-row seating, and larger cargo spaces. Even with gas and maintenance, they pencil out much better than a base $50,000 Model 3 without in-town SC access.
Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 10.48.54 AM.png

So all charging can be done at home. At 1K miles, average savings on gas should be at least $150.

Also, uber is a part time job for many.

Also, consider no Oil change, and minimal maintenance costs

So what's today's panic about...??

A general question though - does the SP really matter? I realise that there was some FUD around Elon getting a margin-call at 230, but given that we were at 180 two years back, I don't believe that.

If the revenues and product margins are good, if the cash-flow is positive, etc., does the SP have any relevance whatsoever?

Along with a targeted Internet campaign, I think Tesla would benefit greatly from a TV show, something like NightRider meets Miami Vice. Look what MV did for Ferrari. Bonus if the hero/heroine could be fighting global warming. Does anyone have Hollywood connections?

In his next action film Short Burn, James Bond will be driving an S, X and 3, with a grinning EM cameo at the end waving from the Roadster2020.......... fade to black.

Media cares about clicks, and uses whatever story will get clicks best (positive or negative). Right now, people are eating up the negative story. But that doesn't mean it can't reverse. People also tend to like "comeback" stories. I think sustainable profits will do a lot to help the media balance. It'll also drive a lot of shorts off the market (reducing their incentive to FUD). Ideally, if they could kill off the UAW campaign as well (aka, with a vote of some sort), that would be great too.

Note: sustainable != "1 quarter".
ONE quarter?. That was a joke right?

Mod: And your's?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's today's panic about...??

A general question though - does the SP really matter? I realise that there was some FUD around Elon getting a margin-call at 230, but given that we were at 180 two years back, I don't believe that.

If the revenues and product margins are good, if the cash-flow is positive, etc., does the SP have any relevance whatsoever?

I think for investors the stock price is always relevant. Meaning, without dividends the only way to make money off of $TSLA is to sell the stock so for an investor it is important that the price be above their average buy in when they are looking to sell.

I'm long, but at some point I'll have to make some money off of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.