Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk

To simplify production, many Tesla Model S & X interior configs, will no longer be available after Nov 1. Order now to be sure of the one you want.

11:28 AM - 23 Oct 2018

Usually if you intend to simplify production you either want more output with the same effort or you want a better margin with the same input and finally you only can reduce options if you have a demand that exceeds supply by a larger margin.
Wouldnt it be a good idea at some time before the year is out for Tesla to announce that starting on X date through X date only the most popular configuration of Model 3 will be produced to maximize the production output and delivery before the end of the year. This so to maximize the amount of people that get the full $7500 tax credit.

Audi stated plans to have the new etron COV by "mid 2019", with the current A3 etron continuing to be sold. VW e-golf will continue as well. Nobody's talking M3 numbers here in NA but it won't be crumbs by end of 2019 IMHO.
But they still won't have a Supercharger network, which would be a deal killer to me if I lived in an apartment.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba and Lessmog
We have MECO at $294.14!

5iSXD.gif

The article on the front page of TMC has some interesting comments. For some reason I hadn't connected the dots that the lemur might have a completely different motor. That opens the door to the possibility it helps evade the production limit they were hitting for awd. Other than the article seems to argue that the gross profit is nearly the exact same as the lr rwd, which would be absurdly bullish if true.. I doubt it's true.

If you can afford the car, and the tax credit would help
just so we're clear: the tax break is inapplicable to me. Completely. I don't make enough money.

do you not hold ANY stocks in non tax advantaged accounts?
Not yet, though that will be changing soon. And, yes, that is something that is becoming a consideration. Talked with an accountant yesterday to clarify some points.
One should have some gains (or enough to get above the cap gains 0% thresholds) and then just figure out how much to sell of which appreciated stock and reset that stocks basis, take the cap gains tax hit (but offset it with the tax credit).
Actually, I pretty much stand to lose. I make so little money that the difference between where I'm at and when a tax break would help is too large. And, yes, I realize that makes me out of market for a Tesla. Which gets to the core of what I was saying about competitors not being compelling. Cheaper? Some of them, sure. Compelling? No. Are they right for some people? I assume so as they do sell, albeit in low numbers.
If you're ONLY in stocks in tax advantaged accounts, fine - but just a note that's not the overall best strategy in the long run. a mix of tax advantaged and taxed is better going into retirement years. Just a thought.
I appreciate that, it is definitely a consideration.

update: I've also never bought anything on loan (well, other than education but I paid those off very quickly even graduate school) but when I bought the TM3, I just figured heck, I KNOW I can pay this off and I KNOW I won't ever run into trouble and if the world wants to loan me 50K for 36 months at 1.45%, I can make about 25K on that money in three years easy. It made the best financial sense. Heck, I recommend this to people all the time - but from a personality standpoint I just never wanted to/or needed to do it. The economist in me won out though.

As you say, taking a loan can be a way to make money. But it is overall simpler for me not to do that (other than using credit cards). I use credit cards and pay them off in full each month -- technically, I'm "gaining" because I retain the use of my money longer (though the amounts involved are fairly inconsequential). More than that is not my style. Though if I do get a Tesla there's no way around going into debit. Its making sure I can afford the debt that's at issue.

Thanks for your time and willingness to share, I appreciate it.

But they still won't have a Supercharger network, which would be a deal killer to me if I lived in an apartment.
Indeed, the Supercharger network is currently a significant competitive advantage. VWAG will be building out networks starting next year though, more for the porsche and e-tron BEV launches, but overall I'm not too sure how much that influences the average EV buyer. If one is ALL EV, it's a significant advantage for Tesla. Unsure for the average EV household though.

OK after watching for 3 straight hours, CNBC finally mentioned Tesla on-air, although they got the facts very, very wrong. Here is the exact, and entire, transcript.
"...and we mentioned earlier very few positive names here today, but among them Tesla up around 9.5%" Took her 5.1 seconds to say that. Some Model 3 LR's did 0-60 in celebration.

Sadly the graphic right next to her showed a very different number.View attachment 346407

What the royal F?

Status
Not open for further replies.