Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing new. War drums beating. Here's the thesis:
"Everyone knows -- or should know -- that Tesla's Q3 saw the most favorable of product mix circumstances that the company can expect to obtain until at least the Model Y makes it to production in volume, which is at least two to three years from now. As a result, whatever "peak" earnings (if any) and free cash flow the company manages to print for Q3, it will be as good as it gets for a long time."

LOL. Apparently the rest of the world's introduction of the 3 isn't a thing that's going to happen, eh?

A few minutes ago, our favorite coal hedge fund manager has said he closed out his short position.

This is serious.

But you left out the details that he just wanted to re-short at a higher price: Gabe Hoffman on Twitter

Covered $TSLA 1st thing this morning pre-market. Tactical move. Figured would get higher prices to initiate the short again.

So no change of heart.

OK Maybe you were talking about Richard Pearson/MoxReports: MoxReports on Twitter

i am now long $TSLA. the only thing i needed to know was that Musk moved up earnings. Numbers will be blowout stock goes above $300. Identical telegraph as Friedman at $RH last year. when it jumped 35% to $109 on 11/16/17 “surprise”.

But he sort of contradicts himself, as just 2 hours prior to that he said he wasn't long TSLA. And Tesla had already moved up the earnings release... Did it really take him that long to find out that Tesla announced a date?

Last edited:
My point was C ain't compatible with anything but C ( but at least you can plug it in upside down).
Ok, I don't yet have C devices, but I understand you can use physical adapter between C and older peripherals, b/c underlying standards are compatible.
It's understandable when sometimes there's a jump in technology and you need to upgrade.

But if only one type of connection is considered at the start and others are not honoured that's a different scenario - you just can't use it if support for different adapters isn't there.

You think so ? I gave him just over a minute (which is more than Joe Rogan? got) the first thing that sprung to my mind was "Mr Trite" (Bob Newhart - the retirement party) Well worth a listen for younger viewers and a better use of time than listening to this two faced t**t.
Yeah I did not get very far before I clicked off....that guy was a slime ball.

Reactions: 2virgule5
Why do some people put “not an advice” on their posts? Is there some sort of mandatory disclaimer for financial advisors posting on discussion boards? Also why not just say “not advice”. Sorry if this is a stupid question. * Not an apology.

@TrendTrader007 used to put that at the end of all his ridiculously bullish posts and some others followed, mostly as a joke.

I don't even know why I'm responding, but...

Yeah, it's a learning curve with ANY new model let alone a new power plant. But, having done this many years for many manufacturers, they do have plans for this from not only manufacturing, QA, service, support and dealer support but also from R&D and testing going in. MOST of these companies already have a full EV in their FAMILY of vehicles, internationally at least. They have been doing it long enough to know where many of the knowable problems can be. So, it's not the same learning curve as a TESLA had with their prior objectives. Most OEM's are also not putting it all out there with these vehicles either. Tesla has been pushing the envelope on both the product AND the company and more recently certainly from the manufacturing standpoint. I said from the beginning, ramping manufacturing is HARD regardless - and we saw just that. We're STILL seeing it.

I'm less concerned with the legacy OEM's ramping much more modest BEV vehicle numbers into their pipeline than I am about Teslas balance sheet and cash flow situation.
I see where you are coming from. Where some of the difference in view comes in is that the legacy makers still haven't seemed to really get it (other than maybe VW). For example, the insistence on continuing to shoehorn an EV into an ICE design. This is part of the reason why the Tesla vehicles are the safest vehicles made. Even more, the legacy manufacturing expertise doesn't really apply to EVs. I mean, it does in some limited ways, but the overlap is much smaller than most people think. It is definitely smaller than what I thought it was before educating myself.

To me, the biggest risk for the legacy makers is collapsing sales preventing them from having the money to finally do it right and make a worthwhile EV. But as Mercedes, BMW and Daimler are already discovering, that ship may have already sailed. Ford still lives because it will take years for Tesla to make a truck, but they are already hurting, downsizing, restructuring, to try and save themselves. My fear is that it is too little, too late. Too much of Ford's brand identity is tied to coal rolling.

And I say fear because I am afraid. I don't like the economic impact of the legacy makers folding or hitting up the federal government for another bailout. It will cost jobs, and it will cost more jobs than if they had just manned up and accepted and pursued EV instead of stalling and trying to kill it. I'm looking squarely at GM, there. The company could die for all I care given the harm its done, but I have relatives who work there and that isn't fair to them or their families. GM should do the right thing.

So I'm not that concerned with the legacy makers ramping up their EVs, but I'm concerned with their offerings being generally meh and even the better ones not providing a compelling reason to purchase them. If the best you have is that you can buy it now rather than wait for a Tesla... that's a risky game of chicken to play with Tesla's aggressive growth plan.

Andrew Left: I'll leave this here:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Who’s laughing now bitch? Apparently he just learned to “read” as he stated a few times.

This clown has destroyed his credibility going forward, anyone choosing to follow him will be mocked. He comes off as surprisingly stupid, and I thought TSLA shorts were moronic to begin with.

I've got a very simplistic plan... aim for 2%/month premium through selling weeklies. Example being @300 I would sell whatever nets me $1.50/share in premium. It used to be on average 10-15% out of the money. In general I sit out on weeks that I expect announcements or reasons for growth. It served me relatively well all year aside from this week and a week back in May when we took off from 276 to 330 and I was off the grid in Namibia. That moved my cost basis up $30 (20 weeks of premiums) so ive been slowly recovering form it.. and now im hit again!
disclaimer:I am far from an expert.
If you expect your shares to get called away, then couldn’t you buy different calls that you intend to execute. Instead of buying back the oct. 26 $295 at $15 you could buy some extremely DITM calls (like the 230’s or 240’s), if you can afford it, they will get you closer to not taking such a loss if your shares get called a way and if they do, you can then execute your new calls. I’m attaching a picture of the calls I’m talking about. I think you could get 40 of those at open tomorrow, not sure (of course this would cost about $400k).
wbdocgd.jpg

I don't even know why I'm responding, but...

Yeah, it's a learning curve with ANY new model let alone a new power plant. But, having done this many years for many manufacturers, they do have plans for this from not only manufacturing, QA, service, support and dealer support but also from R&D and testing going in. MOST of these companies already have a full EV in their FAMILY of vehicles, internationally at least. They have been doing it long enough to know where many of the knowable problems can be. So, it's not the same learning curve as a TESLA had with their prior objectives. Most OEM's are also not putting it all out there with these vehicles either. Tesla has been pushing the envelope on both the product AND the company and more recently certainly from the manufacturing standpoint. I said from the beginning, ramping manufacturing is HARD regardless - and we saw just that. We're STILL seeing it.

I'm less concerned with the legacy OEM's ramping much more modest BEV vehicle numbers into their pipeline than I am about Teslas balance sheet and cash flow situation.
I get your point, but you remember all of the difficulties Mercedes had with their first SUV's, the M models? It was major, and I foresee something similar with the battery vehicles as well. One of the reasons may very well be the batteries themselves. While some of these big OEM's may have had battery powered (or hybrid) cars previously, let's see how they compare using LG or other batteries. They may be farther ahead in manufacturing body parts and assemblies, but Tesla has them beat when it comes to battery assemblies and motors and lessons learned.

Time will tell my friend, that's for sure, but suffice it to say, it's going to be an interesting ride for the next few years and I think we've picked the right horse to bet on.

I couldn't get past the multiple grammatical errors in the first freakin' line.

More empathy please, that poor short just went through the biggest shell-shock of his life: a fellow believer just switched from "TSLA is a zero" to "TSLA is the next trillion dollar company".

That's a lot to take in for a guy, and you cannot really blame him for trying to blunt the pain with copious amounts of alcohol, and seeing double letters through teared up eyes is not good to your grammar, nor is it conducive to basic coherence of logic for that matter.

So cut him some slack!

Simplifying S&X on all levels and resources to put more focus on 3?

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever options they cut it down to for S/X, we don't see them reintroduced before either the expected/rumored interior refresh to be more in line with the 3's styling, or a full on model update (switch to 3/Y style architecture, using 2170 cells, etc) which would include said interior update.

Status
Not open for further replies.