Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the DOJ prosecutes Tesla for this wouldn't every corporation that has ever failed to live up to a proposed timeline be liable for prosecution? Wouldn't that list of corporations be a little long?

Especially a to a level that they eventually met, just delayed?

The F-35 was supposed to be ready years before it actually was, and cost a lot less than it actually did... does that mean they're gearing up to sue Lockheed-Martin too?

If the DOJ prosecutes Tesla for this wouldn't every corporation that has ever failed to live up to a proposed timeline be liable for prosecution? Wouldn't that list of corporations be a little long?

There was a civil case tossed out against Tesla on this subject (actually I think they get a chance to bring a better case) already where the judge said something along the lines of 'companies are not required to hit their guidance' or similar. Problem is I don't think anyone here knows really what the DOJ purview is or what the actual actions would be.

edit: Tesla, Elon Musk win dismissal of lawsuit over Model 3 production | Reuters

In a decision made public on Monday, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer said that while shareholders claimed that Tesla fell short of its production goals, “federal securities laws do not punish companies for failing to achieve their targets.”​

Last edited:
My wife hasn't driven the 3 yet (she's happy to be driven around instead, and I'm happy to drive it), but even from the passenger seat she remarked on how much visibility there is (since cleary driver and passenger visibility are the same on the 3). Her current and previous 2 cars were all Ford Focus which had for her a nice balance of not being an SUV but still being able to sit up high enough to see over the front of the car reasonably.
But they're being recalled for stalling... sounds like the WSJ and the NYT.

Reactions: humbaba
I was wondering if it is possible to find out that ~$21 drop was due to algo selling or short selling? If short, who would it be? SEC can probably trace it out.
you'll never figure that out. . both algos and larger holders/traders are going to be splitting transactions and running them through dark pools and not making known from where the sales are coming.

The "Justice Department" news releases are just more lies from the newsfeed released by Shorts who don't want to lose money on their manipulation of company shareholders and the market share price. They are pissed that Tesla will look like they will succeed. Of course, Tesla will succeed; it has succeeded. Also, they wanted a coordinated manipulation of the stock price to dump their shares so they could meet margin calls. Dumping a price from $340 to $315 (a 8% drop) enabled them to sell their short positions. As soon as they covered their short positions, the stock price rebounded by itself to $330 per share effortlessly, and stayed above $320, mostly above $325 for the rest of the day so far.

Look to put these people in jail for market manipulation:

By Dana Cimilluca, Susan Pulliam and Aruna Viswanatha​

Last edited:
Yep, seeing more net short covering today, over 300k shares so far, unfortunately we won't know more accurate net covering/shorting numbers till Monday
Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter
If 300K short shares covering pushes up the stock with 15 dollar, I can’t wait to see the other 30+ million covered.

I think we should remain open to the possibility that there might be something to the WSJ article. They said the probe was deepening, which possibly means that the DOJ is close to moving forward with some action. Just because Tesla hasn't provided more info recently doesn't mean that the DOJ is doing nothing.

The article says: "Action in the criminal investigation.....has intensified in recent weeks".

It also says: "In recent weeks, FBI agents have contacted former Tesla employees asking them for testimony in the criminal case"

I hope it's just a re-hash of the old news, but it sounds like there is more to it.

It is certainly possible that the investigation was deepening on the assumption that there would be another miss. But surely such an investigation is moot now, and will be more so after 4Q results.

Investor Bulletin: Investor Complaints | Investor.gov

Process for Handling Complaints

OIEA helps ensure that individuals and entities regulated by the SEC respond to investor complaints when appropriate. If an investor selects the option on the complaint form consenting to OIEA’s sending the complaint to the firm (“Yes, send the form to the firm….”), OIEA typically forwards the complaint, requesting the firm to send a written report to the investor and to OIEA that addresses the issues raised. However, the SEC cannot act as an investor’s attorney or personal representative.

OIEA may refer an investor complaint to other Offices or Divisions within the SEC, including the Division of Enforcement. The Division of Enforcement generally conducts investigations on a confidential basis. As a result, OIEA will not confirm or deny the existence of an investigation and will not update an investor on the status of a complaint.

So, I think this means I select 'Yes' and SEC uses its discretion on whether to forward this to the firm (in which case I should get a letter from WSJ saying "we didn't try to manipulate the market, end of transmission") or investigate internally, correct?

Want to make sure I get this right before submitting.

.?? Explain- please :) for a limey

Oh just crawfish are a weird insect/crustacean that walks backwards funny.

Urban Dictionary: crawfishing

So the analogy is that there was a huge drop and then it went backwards back up, making the drop very awkward.

It’s like...the situation needs to be so weird that something happens then it’s reversed like right away.

Last edited:
:)
So much data, so little information...

At least the VIN will tell us when they start production in another country/ factory...
Do the VINs headed to EU or APAC get exposed to the NHTSA query? There's not specifically a reason to go to the trouble of excluding them, but on the other hand, there doesn't seem any legal need for them to be available via the NHTSA query either ... so perhaps we won't be able to follow foreign production the same way.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Well, it actually *is* the case in politics, but it operates on a dangerously long time frame. Tsar Nicholas had lost touch with reality well before the 1909 war with Japan, but it didn't catch up with him until 1917.
Right, except the ones who receive the kicks may be different from the ones inflicting the damage because they believed stupid fairy tales (see Brexit, or 1930's Germany, or today's climate denialists). At least in the market, a win feels like a win every time for the actual actors (not to mention the losses...).

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Cohiba and neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.