Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats but I still remember being on this board when tsla first hit 50. Some were bragging about selling then. Wish I could know what they think now

Sure thing.

I bought 150 shares at 35, then sold them at 50 thinking I made a killing! 66% return for just holding stock for 2 months! :p

Then I saw the stock rise to 80, then 90, then 100, and realized I royally screwed up and bought back in at $150! Right before the battery fires, but this time I got wise and averaged down and held until $180 and was afraid of the next round of fud, so sold 1/2 then, and then a bit more at 200, and then a bit more at 220, and then the rest at 240. Never got a chance to really buy back in until the solar city merger.

I could've been RICH! Or at least could've had a model X 100D instead of a model 3! My thoughts now are, you'll have to pry my last remaining shares out of my cold-dead-hands!

I'd rather they had just re-bundled the options and increase the price 5k. Then those who bought without the Performance package could feel they got a reasonable deal, and nobody else would care. Then if they want to walk back the pricing do it 1-2k at a time no more than once every 3-4 weeks. Throw in some language about how costs have gone down on the upgrades because of volume, etc etc, everyone can feel good.

Dropping the price and then doing this weird "we'll refund you the difference but you gotta give up something" dance is actually kinda worse than dropping the price and doing nothing, because it calls more attention to it and looks cheap, rather than just being Tesla as usual with varying pricing and bundle structures.

That said, it seems to me like quite a few people are getting waaaaaay more vitriolic than even this faux pas calls for. Take a chill pill!

Well maybe now Elon will learn a lesson that they are a big boy company now and will need to adjust prices more gradually. Traditional automakers get around with messing around their prices continuously because of the obfuscation of rebates, incentives, discounted options, and of course the fact that no one actually knows the actual cost of the vehicle except the stealership and they won't tell anyone on pain of death. Tesla uses this direct sales model, so everyone can see all the historical and current prices of everything back to the beginning of time. They will need to be more careful going forward with really big price changes and do them gradually and without just telling people who have already supported the mission and paid money to just eat it.

It's too bad Fred Lambert only cares about himself because by all rights anyone who has already paid extra for AWD, either $1k or $2k, also deserve a refund for exactly the same reasons that P3D owners can get a $5k refund.

He represented himself, he paid for the $5k, you could tell he took it personal with the amount of personal rants he put into the article. This isn't the first time he has done it. And he literally just lead the pitchfork march using his weight as the editor of a popular site, forced Elon into a corner.

Tesla did something wonderful to attract more people into the Tesla family, and to get more EV's out there. Remember the mission? There could've been an easier way for Fred to reach out to Elon to discuss it. Instead he used his celebrity status and now, Tesla is going to make less money as a result. Does anybody here really want that? I don't think so.

While he spoke for himself, he did speak for owners as well.

I don’t want to take capital away from Tesla and I don’t think anyone does. We all need Tesla to survive.

TSLA needs the owners.
Owners need TSLA.

They have to work together. For those who want to leave their bubbles and hear from owners you can check this thread.

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

I don’t want to take capital away from Tesla and I don’t think anyone does. We all need Tesla to survive.

TSLA needs the owners.
Owners need TSLA.

They have to work together. For those who want to leave their bubbles and hear from owners you can check this thread.

I'm an owner too. Where's my $1k refund for paying more for AWD before the recent price decrease on that?

I'm an owner too. Where's my $1k refund for paying more for AWD before the recent price decrease on that?

Drop white seats by 500.. small complaints.
Drop P price by 1000.. more complaints but still small.

Drop P by 5000 - the world has ended.

Your argument is valid but we are discussing perception of reality vs actual reality.

I’m more favorable to the TSLA side but TSLA cannot survive without the owners.

TSLA needs the owners.
Owners need TSLA.

I usually agree with you, but he didn’t speak for me. I got what I paid for regardless of what Tesla does after the fact.

Believe me, I get that. But it's also dumb to leave yourself overexposed to a single stock, when you have a capital project of your own (a house) whose final cost is an unknown. I have to manage my risk properly against the consequences of being wrong. And because I took good advantage of those low prices (my lowest and biggest buy being at $248,66 ;) ), I'm in for more than I'm comfortable with.

That said, I'll probably overexpose myself again later because, let's face it... the bear thesis is only wounded, not dead. ;) They still think this is a one-time thing. They think GF3 is a potemkin village. They still think Tesla will need a capital raise. They still think Musk is a liar who's going to jail. Look at the analyst views after the report - still lots of price targets in the low $200s. And as long as the wounded bear thesis is still fighting, the stock will resist running too high. It's after Q4 that I see the potential for a long run-up.

But for now I have to trim back a bit. Put a bit of that cash that I took from the pockets of short sellers back in the bank ;)

I was in your situation in April when the SP went down to 244. At that price, I couldn’t resist overexposure and loaded up, putting over half of my net worth into the stock. It worked out well financially, but it made me very anxious and affected my sleep for weeks. As the SP climbed into the mid-300s, it felt great to sell, not just for the financial gain, but for the relief from anxiety.

During this most recent dip, I was happy to buy at bargain prices again, but kept my position much smaller. Congrats on the well-timed overexposure! I hope you enjoy re-sizing your position.

Drop white seats by 500.. small complaints.
Drop P price by 1000.. more complaints but still small.

Drop P by 5000 - the world has ended.

Your argument is valid but we are discussing perception of reality vs actual reality.

I’m more favorable to the TSLA side but TSLA cannot survive without the owners.
The actual reality is that plenty of people grumbled about it but none of them was Fred Lambert. It was when Fred "Free Roadster" Lambert complained about it on his web site that all of a sudden it blew up into a huge crisis that required Elon's immediate attention. I didn't see you making up a Twitter hashtag and harrassing Elon on Twitter for the little guys who bought the AWD and the white seats. Where was your anger then? Where's the justice for the little guys? Why do only the rich guys who bought the P get a refund? Isn't this really just an example of the rich always winning and the non-rich losing?

I usually agree with you, but he didn’t speak for me. I got what I paid for regardless of what Tesla does after the fact.

Would you truly feel nothing if you took delivery of a car at 2:15PM and then found out at 2:30PM your identical car was $5000 cheaper?

We all agree that we got what we paid for. But it’s more than logic.

It’s managing perception and human emotions.

Tesla has to be better at this.

Hope this makes sense.

Would you truly feel nothing if you took delivery of a car at 2:15PM and then found out at 2:30PM your identical car was $5000 cheaper?

We all agree that we got what we paid for. But it’s more than logic.

It’s managing perception and human emotions.

Tesla has to be better at this.

Hope this makes sense.
How I might feel and how I would act publicly are two very different things. I’m a big boy. That’s how the cookie crumbles. This reeks of entitlement IMO.

Can't wait until the shorts rail on this Monday as evidence of a capital raise...;)

God they are just comedy. I am enjoying the gasparino vs tslaq stuff. He was their hero just a little while ago when he reported banks were trying to get Tesla to work on bankruptcy contingency plans. Now it's civil war after he said something about how obnoxious they are.

Not often you see these two on the same side of a topic:

upload_2018-10-26_23-43-21.png

It's either refund or free supercharge, many people probably will choose free super charge. $50M is small compare to customer satisfcation. As Tesla expands to more customers, Tesla needs to take care of customers first and investors will benefit in the long run. So I think Tesla did the right thing fixing it. And I totally agree Tesla needs to be more considerate for their pricing strategy.

This also bothers me as a shareholder. Tesla needs to consider their pricing strategy more carefully to avoid situations like this. They could also give tesla credit to buy something else/ next car instead of refund to reduce the impact and it would still be fair.

Any guestimate how much this would cost tesla? I’d imagine most people who bought the upgrade package will request a $5k refund, except those few who take roadtrips or long distance commute.
If 5k cars = $25M. 10k Cars = $50M easily.

Fred just cost Tesla a *sugar* load of cash, and just showed he is a Greedy/angry bastard. Could have taken this with a different approach first if he cares about the company.

Despite Fred's foibles (really not happy with him kicking Elon off the platform for a few days :(), I'm sticking with Electrek. I prefer the layout, speed of going to press, presentation and selection of articles compared to Cleantechnica and Insideevs. Most importantly, as I don't read about Tesla anywhere else (except the odd one linked here), I feel it is important to understand the mind of a hardcore shorter. Honestly, Fred is as close as I want to get....

For those that haven't got my British sense of humour up to now - I will explain:

Does that make sense?
You may need one of those invisible pen thingies....
If you couldn't read it, it had something to do with it being a funny old game. Funny but not necessarily humorous. Or the other way around.

Fair enough - I'm a bit of an outlier in the UK too... This is what Brexit is doing to us... Mad dogs and Englishmen are still reading Electrek. Anyway, enough of me, time for my kippers and marmalade breakfast.

God they are just comedy. I am enjoying the gasparino vs tslaq stuff. He was their hero just a little while ago when he reported banks were trying to get Tesla to work on bankruptcy contingency plans. Now it's civil war after he said something about how obnoxious they are.

I saw Gasparino on TV making a comment about the typical TSLA short, sitting in front of his computer screen in his mom's basement in Toledo.

Yeah, things have changed. And it has gotten personal for Gasparino.

Status
Not open for further replies.