Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A CUV without the ability to use the roof racks
That's a good point. For that reason alone, the Model Y probably shouldn't have FWD. Also, your other reason cited, the likelyhood of a user forgetting about it being open when repositioning, is a good reason not to have them. Regular doors would be much better on the Y. So I expect the Y to have regular doors.

Interesting that the Seeking Alpha editors actually flat out change bullish headlines to bearish ones:
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 1.21.01 PM.png

I've heard about starlink using phased array, but I didn't find anything definitive, care to share the source?

Admittedly, I am not privy to any insider details, but when I hear a constellation of over 10,000 satellites, I'm thinking it's very low in LEO orbit, and maximum capital efficiency dictates direct-to-customer transmission. Using ground-based relay/santennas adds cost (capital AND opex) and complexity, when your relay station can be 60-100 miles away from anywhere on earth somewhere in the sky. It just doesn't pencil out otherwise. Is there another thread that's already discussed this in detail?

(bolding mine)

Some existing threads here at TMC :

Some starlink/satellite stuff (out of MA)

Super fast Internet via SpaceX Satellites / Starlink

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

And if you really want to get technical, I suggest heading over to NSF :

SpaceX - now a satellite manufacturer (Starlink)

SpaceX - now a satellite (constellation) operator?

And to point out one thing I haven't seen mentioned today / this time around, even if they did install Starlink terminals on cars, they couldn't eliminate cellular service, because there's a density limit to how many terminals can be served in a given area (as there is a maximum number of spot beams that can overlap, and each beam can only serve so many terminals, etc). So aside from pesky buildings getting in the way in skyscraper towntown scenarios, even in suburban areas they couldn't necessarily rely only on Starlink for data.

Now, let's take further discussion to one of these other threads ;)

I believe the rule of thumb is that light speed is reduced by about 1/3c in fiber... so the speed is about 2/3c or twice as fast as you suggest.

The industry standard is Corning SMF-28E fiber, which has a refractive index of roughly 1.47 (it varies slightly with wavelength), so light travels approximately 68% as fast in singlemode fiber as in a vacuum. (But I admit, 2/3 is an easier rule of thumb ;) )
Also, as others have mentioned when this subject came up before, the fiber optic lines are not always laid out the most efficiently, so there is some percentage of overhead that needs to be added for the indirect routing.

Who's hoping against FWDs on Model Y and why? Model X owners? IMHO as the owner of a flawless 2018 Model X, large numbers of model Ys with attention-getting Falcon Wing doors would be an excellent attention-getting marketing device. I haven't heard of any FWD issues lately, and mine work perfectly after 5,300 miles, so I think they have the design right. I'd have preferred a plain vanilla Tesla delivery van, but since I can't have that, at least I get to drive something really cool!
I hope that Ys won't have Falcon Wing doors. Remember: when Elon wanted to make 3 a mass market model, he stated that everything needs to be simplified to knock the costs down. No self-presenting door handles. No power liftgate trunk. Less aluminium, more iron. etc.
B/c Y will be a larger profile than 3, it will likely cost more than 3. We don't need extra complexities like wing doors. I believe that Y should be a mass market vehicle made as cheap as possible. You like Falcon Wing doors and have extra money for that - buy model X. If you like CUV form factor, but don't have too much spare money - buy Y and help transition the world to the sustainable energy.

Reactions: AndyH
Who's hoping against FWDs on Model Y and why? Model X owners? IMHO as the owner of a flawless 2018 Model X, large numbers of model Ys with attention-getting Falcon Wing doors would be an excellent attention-getting marketing device. I haven't heard of any FWD issues lately, and mine work perfectly after 5,300 miles, so I think they have the design right. I'd have preferred a plain vanilla Tesla delivery van, but since I can't have that, at least I get to drive something really cool!

Middle class folks that keep their cars 5 plus years don't want to worry about out of warranty FWD repairs.

FWD is what keeps Model X 2nd worst in Consumer Reports reliability ratings.

We don't want Model Y to be a regular on CR's Top Ten Least Reliable Cars sold in the USA list.

Okay, I have to admit. I did buy some GM yesterday in the I401K. At 30.55$ in the last minutes of the day, it was yielding 5%..I think 30$ is a pretty solid floor and we haven't seen the end YET of the business buying cycle. EOY is usually a solid time for this sector. We'll see. But getting another bite or two of the div AND another 10-15% seemed pretty realistic.
If one if following this entry, If GM gets to 37.2 I'm taking the quick exit.

Reactions: Xpert
Status
Not open for further replies.