Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people are doubting this - Elon said SR will be starting production in 1st half of 2019 when costs have reduced enough, and the China SR model says delivery will occur in “2019”. Seems to be well within the bounds of reality to me.

Why would Tesla change their pattern of introducing sales with the highest margin products first, then gradually moving through the order list as demand is satisfied?

As long as Model 3 is production constrained (which they will be until at least until GF3 opens for local production), Tesla will maximize its gross profits by selling the highest margin cars it can.

Finally, can you hear the Shorties crying foul already when anyone in China gets a 35K Model 3 before everyone in the US that has been waiting for 3 years ($1,000 deposit placed on 31/3/2016)? No, the first SRs will go to the U.S. until at least all the Day 1 reservation holders are Model 3 owners.

What has probably happened is that some local webmaster (with ESL language skills) mechanically translated the US website with Google Translate and without Supervisor review. Otherwise the Chinese price would be shown in YUAN, not in USD.

It'll get sorted soon. Vincent is a good guy, just a little trigger happy.

Cheers!

Why would Tesla change their pattern of introducing sales with the highest margin products first, then gradually moving through the order list as demand is satisfied?

As long as Model 3 is production constrained (which they will be until at least until GF3 opens for local production), Tesla will maximize its gross profits by selling the highest margin cars it can.

Finally, can you hear the Shorties crying foul already when anyone in China gets a 35K Model 3 before everyone in the US that has been waiting for 3 years ($1,000 deposit placed on 31/3/2016)? No, the first SRs will go to the U.S. until at least all the Day 1 reservation holders are Model 3 owners.

What has probably happened is that some local webmaster (with ESL language skills) mechanically translated the US website with Google Translate and without Supervisor review. Otherwise the Chinese price would be shown in YUAN, not in USD.

It'll get sorted soon. Vincent is a good guy, just a little trigger happy.

Cheers!

Thanks for making sense of it Lodger.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Hi @SpaceCash

People aren't disagreeing that Tesla is taking orders now for the Model 3 in China, just doubting that the SR version will available there anytime soon.

BTW, your screenshot doesn't show the car's price, only the deposit price (8,000 CNY is about $1,150 USD). In the US, that's a reservation price, not a deposit. More problems to explain.

I'd need to see the price and delivery date, and confirmation from Tesla in the US, before I'd be convinced that the $35K Model is for sale now.

Ask yourself "why would Tesla announce the $35K Model 3 for China but not for the US?"

This is probably just a mistake. (DM sent with followup question)

Last edited:

Cheers!

Now that the overexcitement has been quashed, I'm happy to read the tealeaves and get a little positive about what it might mean.

In order to mistranslate a site, there has to be a site in English to mistranslate, which does in fact have the price of $US35,000 written.

If that price appears Monday morning US time, you read it here first. (And if it doesn't please ignore me).

• Helpful
Now that the overexcitement has been quashed, I'm happy to read the tealeaves and get a little positive about what it might mean.

In order to mistranslate a site, there has to be a site in English to mistranslate, which does in fact have the price of $US35,000 written.

If that price appears Monday morning US time, you read it here first. (And if it doesn't please ignore me).

Excitement may not be quite over. Go read your 'Conversations' inbox for my DM message.

Breaking: Tesla China open low range Model 3 pre-order (starting only $35,000 USD)
vincent13031925 Uncategorized November 19, 2018 0 Minutes

Tesla China official website shows that Tesla has begun to accept low-range electric vehicle Model 3 pre-order, Chinese users can pay for the 8,000 yuan (around $1160 USD) deposit on the official website to book this car online, the new car will be delivered in 2019. Starting price $35000 USD

Breaking: Tesla China open low range Model 3 pre-order (starting only $35,000 USD)
TeslaTopInfo on Twitter

The Twitter trolls are pulling all levers to discredit the news. Looks desperate like they fear the market will consider this huge and positive news. Shorts may feel not good this Monday morning. Another bear argument gone...
Seems this is the same reservation that was open since 2016, no news here about the 35k USD SR model, the pages has been exactly like this since last year(slightly different design with same message before that), the $35k US starting price reference was likely from the original reveal event...
Wayback Machine
BTW, the booking agreement refers to this roll out plan that was from 2016:
特斯拉 Model 3 即将开始接受预订 | 特斯拉中国 - Tesla

Last edited:
Hi @SpaceCash

People aren't disagreeing that Tesla is taking orders now for the Model 3 in China, just doubting that the SR version will available there anytime soon.

BTW, your screenshot doesn't show the car's price, only the deposit price (8,000 CNY is about $1,150 USD). In the US, that's a reservation price, not a deposit. More problems to explain.

I'd need to see the price and delivery date, and confirmation from Tesla in the US, before I'd be convinced that the $35K Model is for sale now.

Ask yourself "why would Tesla announce the $35K Model 3 for China but not for the US?"

This is probably just a mistake. (DM sent with followup question)
Dude. Look at the site yourself. It shows everything

Are you aware that both the Twitter account that announced this news and the site it refers to (teslatopinfo.com) were both created less than 2 days ago? And that the news appears literally no were else?

I suggest caution.
My guy. Just go to the official Tesla China website and navigate from there. teslatopinfo is not the order site, they are simply reporting.
You're TRIPPING if you don't think this is real. Could not be more plain

Tesla | 电动车、太阳能面板和清洁能源存储

Tell me, did somebody go to the trouble to fake an entire, fleshed-out Tesla China website complete with test drive applications?
预约试驾 | 特斯拉中国 - Tesla

Think we need confirmation from a Chinese speaking member on this. Anybody?

If true I'm surprised on three counts. One, the short range model going to China first. Two, the price showing no increase, just a straight exchange rate factor. Three, the short range model availability being announced (or rather unannounced) this way.

Look at the link. It’s posted from Vincent who speak chinese I believe.

But agree that the news creates questions.

My guy. Just go to the official Tesla China website and navigate from there. teslatopinfo is not the order site, they are simply reporting.
You're TRIPPING if you don't think this is real. Could not be more plain

Tesla | 电动车、太阳能面板和清洁能源存储

Tell me, did somebody go to the trouble to fake an entire, fleshed-out Tesla China website complete with test drive applications?
预约试驾 | 特斯拉中国 - Tesla
Tesla open model3 reservation is not news, they have been doing that for years.
Tesla claims model3 starts at 35k USD in US is not news neither, they did that for years.
They are not claiming a reservation will get you a $35k Model 3 in early 2019, there is still going to be a staged roll out plan.
It's Vincent being trigger happy if he does not have any other evidence, and it's not the first time he's done that(sometimes it embarrasses me into thinking he is a secret short.). :cool:

BTW, I speak(and read) Chinese, I looked at the page carefully, if it's the Chinese retail price, they won't be using USD as the price unit, it will be a price in CNY including the tariff.
From the beginning, the page was elaborate enough to say the Model 3 starts at 35k USD in US, but with a few redesign, that information is distilled to model3 starts at 35k USD.

Last edited:
They are not claiming a reservation will get you a $35k Model 3 in early 2019,

Screen-Shot-2018-11-19-at-12-04-01-AM.png

Regarding the SR/LR debate, it's interesting that it lists max range as 220 miles.(unless that is a typo)
Tesla has always said that the "standard version" would get 220 miles/charge

To be honest, I'm finding that this order page looks to have been around for years and is not new. Vincent and Teslatopinfo seem to be spinning a long-existing page as if it's announcing something new. This may be a sort of reverse phenomenon similar to when FUDsters spin up and hype a long-dead investigation as if it is new, current, and serious.

Excitement should be tempered, but Tesla.cn and the order page are 100% real and non-sus

Right, but that would be min range, not "of up to 220 miles"... More like 'starting at'
Not saying anything changed, but the wording seems like that page is only talking about SR.
You're right that doesn't feel right. The website is legit, the phone numbers and everything check out, but that phrasing does bug me. Maybe something is lost in translation here

Tesla has always said that the "standard version" would get 220 miles/charge

To be honest, I'm finding that this order page looks to have been around for years and is not new. Vincent and Teslatopinfo seem to be spinning a long-existing page as if it's announcing something new. This may be a sort of reverse phenomenon similar to when FUDsters spin up and hype a long-dead investigation as if it is new, current, and serious.

Excitement should be tempered, but Tesla.cn and the order page are 100% real and non-sus

Have seen this a few times recently, where a positive item has popped-up on Twitter, only to discover it's something from 6 months ago, or whatever.

Whereas I'm pleased to see the FUD dramatically less than before, I neither want to see false hyping of $TSLA, so we need to be vigilant on that too.

Not sure what you'd call the opposite of FUD, any ideas? Happiness, Certainly, Belief? Hardly rolls off the tongue...

Have seen this a few times recently, where a positive item has popped-up on Twitter, only to discover it's something from 6 months ago, or whatever.

Where as I'm pleased to see the FUD dramatically less than before, I neither want to see false hyping of $TSLA, so we need to be vigilant on that too.

Not sure what you'd call the opposite of FUD, any ideas? Happiness, Certainly, Belief? Hardly rolls off the tongue...

HEC
Happiness, Exuberance, Confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.