Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Tesla will turn on Panasonic whenever an opportunity presents itself (either an internal program that they think they can scale, or an outside company they could acquire; both options are mostly capital limited). Tesla is obsessed with vertical integration, both for retaining 100% of the profit, and for rapid turnaround without being constrained by outside entities, whose reliability may vary.

I've seen multiple hints that Panasonic is angling for a merger with Tesla. They did a very curious reorganization a while back, putting their entire worldwide battery business under their primary North American corporate entity -- and IIRC removing a bunch of other stuff (such as retail consumer product sales) from their North American corporate entity -- so that their North American corporate entity contains only products which Tesla might be interested in. This feels very much like angling for a merger. Both companies are relatively short on cash, so they may be aiming for a stock-for-stock merger of Panasonic's North American corporate entity with Tesla where Panasonic ends up with a hunk of Tesla stock.

You heard it here first.

That's my worry now. I have 0 doubt in TSLA's capabilities, but the macro makes me consider re-shifting my options positions.

Especially when I read something like this Option_Sniper on Twitter

"ok let me say it clearly with no confusion - it means big $$ is selling in panic mode, NOT buying on dip"

We're in a bear market, like I said.
:sigh:
I should probably sell a bunch of stocks but I'm not gonna. I like my direct stock investments (all 7 of them) and I will not fall victim to market timing. That said, if my cash merger arbitrage trade pays out, I'll just keep the cash...

That is only if they sell the Semi.
If they use them internally, they save millions a year just in pack shipping costs from Sparks to Fremont.
Say 50 packs a semi, that is 20 semi loads a day. Round trip distance is 500 milesish, a two trips per day per semi. 10 Semis needed doing 10k miles per day. Say 10 MPG, 1k gallons of $4 diesel. $4,000 a day vs 2 kWh per mile worst case: 20,000 kWh @ $0.1 (non GF sourced) is $2,000 a day in electricity. A savings per day of $2k. Times 90 days a quarter = $180k. Equvilent to 20% GM on 18 $50k 3s.
But semis take 10x the battery capacity (roughly), so 10 semi x10 x$10k = $1million in missing 3 GM. So it's 6 quarters until break even, then the semi creates more bottom line that the 3s would have. Another 6 to pay for the cost of the semi build. However, the first few can be expensed as R&D.

This is all worst case with high kWh cost and large packs, the smaller size would be fine for Tesla to Tesla trips. Could have net positive ROI in under a year and would have better bottom line the next quarter.

Yes, this. Thanks for being the first person to lay out the math on this. Tesla has a *lot* of internal trucking needs. Using the semis in-house is a *very* high ROI in avoided fuel costs, avoided third-party-trucking-firm profits, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: erha and Mobius484
A metric sugar ton, especially if they are switching to trucking from rail for deliveries. Each Semi is a momentary drop in revenue for a long term boost.

generalized categories that cross over in timing:
Delivery transports (Tesla owned)
Fremont to Sparks trucks
Fremont to Port of LA trucks (emissions restrictions)
Supplier trucks (with cost reductions to Tesla)
Outright purchased trucks.

MA: Red but trending up...

Let me just list Tesla's internal truck needs.
-- Suppliers to Gigafactory
-- Suppliers to Fremont
-- Suppliers to Buffalo
-- Gigafactory to Fremont
-- Fremont to Lathrop
-- Fremont to Delivery Centers
-- Lathrop to Delivery Centers
-- Fremont to Port
-- Lathrop to Port
-- Gigafactory to Port

Even if they go back to using rail for what it's best at -- bulk transport from a mine to the Gigafactory, or bulk transport from Fremont directly to a site outside Chicago -- they'll still be using lots and lots and lots of trucks.

Flight from the Euro to the dollar will drop all USD denominated equities.
Noooo, that's not how it works. Panic about Eurozone economics, with flight from euro to dollar, means companies with majority of sales in the EU drop, companies with majority of sales in the US go up, regardless of listed currency.

I guess that's what the other side of a short squeeze looks like...

During his apology, Cordier talks about his clients having to make deposits to their accounts to cover the losses of his fund. Do I understand this correctly, that with this investment fund investors did not only lose their entire principal, but are actually out of more than that?

If that is true, would there not need to be a pretty serious upfront warning about that type of investment?
Yes. Do you read your warning disclosures on financial accounts before signing them? I do.

You can lose more than you invested on simple short-selling, and the brokerage can go after your house and car.

This guy Cordier was trading naked options on commodities futures (!!!), which is like triple leverage to the max.

---
Personal story. Relative of mine inherited some of what we thought were oil royalties.

Turned out... they weren't technically royalties. They were something called "working interests". Which means that they potentially carry future *environmental cleanup liability*. We couldn't give them away to charity, because the charities didn't want the potential liability! We eventually managed to sell them on terms which indemnified us for all future liabilities. But goes to show, check the fine print...

Yes, this. Thanks for being the first person to lay out the math on this. Tesla has a *lot* of internal trucking needs. Using the semis in-house is a *very* high ROI in avoided fuel costs, avoided third-party-trucking-firm profits, etc.
And I imagine they would be able to negotiate with suppliers for different pricing for picking up goods from ports/factories than taking delivery at Fremont, lots of trucking involved there too.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
RBC Joe Spak: Tesla will raise about $1.3 billion USD locally (local banks in China), with interest rates likely to be 3%-5%

Google Translate

note:
looks like this news is a few days old, but haven't seen it reported anywhere outside chinese media.

Tesla (TSLA.US) or raised about 1.3 billion US dollars in Shanghai to promote the construction rate of 3-5%
November 17, 2018 09:23 Zhitong Financial Network

I believe this is accurate, but Google Translate tells me they *plan* to raise the money through local banks, and they *believe* they can get 3-5% interest rates. They also confirm the amount of equity which Tesla will put in later (which we knew from the registered capital filing).

What's your reasoning for choosing this particular strike?

I set up a probability spread of stock values and calculated expected returns on them. Best returns based on my probabilities are expected with strike prices from $250 to $300. My goal was to buy with strike prices at both the top and bottom end of the range. $250 was bought with a limit order so it's possible that something else "near" $250 might have had a lower bid-ask spread, but... meh.

I focused on February because I have little confidence in how movement before the Q4 report will go. I considered going with high strike Jan '20s, betting on excessive optimism (with plans to sell after the Q4 report), but I felt more confident in my ability to assess Q4 and the stock price's reaction to that than to assess other peoples' long-term overconfidence / optimism.

After I feel that the Q4 report is properly priced in, I'm planning to roll to April '19s, which should (hopefully) price in the Model Y unveiling (penciled in for 15 march, but we know how these things go), and (cross my fingers!) a Moody's upgrade ;) After the Model Y unveiling is priced in, I plan to roll to May '19s to factor in the Q1 report.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and AZRI11
Status
Not open for further replies.