Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to acquire more shares over this year. I've been penny-and-diming over a wide range of prices, as I can get more available cash. For now I've reached my limit. I put in a buy order last night with limit set at $268.21 for a nickel (5 shares). This morning it triggered in pre-market for $255.00. I've had a variation between buy limit and acquisition cost before, but never this large. What gives? Weren't the shorts willing to accept a larger offer? I'm not complaining, but what the?
I think they have to sell at market price.

it's not only Tesla, but also Ford and GM recovered. What do you think is going on? Does the market believe the possible positive outcome (China lowers it's tariffs) is as valuable as the possible negative outcome? Or has it all priced in, or does it think it's all rethoric and zero chance of beeing applied, or other possibilities?

Wow! Amazed by TSLA today. I may add a little more if it gets back down to the mid $250s. The market may suck for a while, but how many -2%+ red days will there be? A handful? If TSLA continues to gain strength, moderate down days are not a big deal. It's these disaster days that really drag it down.

Art Cashin: Wall Street hopes tariff threats are an 'opening ploy' to negotiations

My opinion is that a the Trump admin has the higher bargaining power in this matter and will finally get a win. If there’s anything that can save his reputation, it’s the fair trade agreement. Time to get the EU/Japan o board, which should be easy since Japan has had issues with China for a very long time, especially in the South Sea region. Japan is also the #3 importer of Chinese goods, they would have lots to gain from fair trade agreement as well.

China’s Top Trading Partners

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3 and bdy0627
I agree.. LoL shorts.

Edit: Some caution here could be valid. This could be a bit of a short covering rally for those who didnt get out yesterday. Trend could continue down if more macros angst hits.
I suspect as Papafox's chart shows that shorts continue to trade >60% of shares even on big up days. This says to me while existing shorts cover, new shorts pile in at higher price. This is similar when the PPS is dropping, old shorts cover and cash out, new shorts step in to replace their spot. Overall the shorted shares stay relatively stable.

Reactions: bdy0627
Art Cashin: Wall Street hopes tariff threats are an 'opening ploy' to negotiations

My opinion is that a the Trump admin has the higher bargaining power in this matter and will finally get a win. If there’s anything that can save his reputation, it’s the fair trade agreement. Time to get the EU/Japan o board, which should be easy since Japan has had issues with China for a very long time, especially in the South Sea region. Japan is also the #3 importer of Chinese goods, they would have lots to gain from fair trade agreement as well.

My impression is that even though the trading $ amount skews heavily towards China, the companies that are making money from US-China trades are more evenly spread in both China and US, and investors are spread evenly as well, if not skewed more towards the US, due to the higher wealth accumulation in the US, so the impact on the stock market may be felt more sharply in the US than China. In the end farmers or steel workers may make good headlines and photo ops for Trump, but his policies will be influenced more by what the rich want, rather than what the poor want.

It does for most of the paragraphs, but unfortunately the last two car paragraphs make it clear that EVs are included too:

58. Other vehicles that only drive the motor
59. Other vehicles

It seemed to me if those categories were most likely established a while ago, not just for the current tariffs. So I googled and found this list of all vehicle categories applied on trade with China:
China HS Code 8703: Motor cars vehicles principally transport.

It includes a category "Electric vehicles and other passenger vehivles whose displacement can not be determined". This is not part of the list of goods threatened with additional tariffs going through the media (e.g. Here's the full list of US products that China is planning to hit with tariffs).

IMHO that means EVs are excluded.

It seemed to me if those categories were most likely established a while ago, not just for the current tariffs. So I googled and found this list of all vehicle categories applied on trade with China:

It includes a category "Electric vehicles and other passenger vehivles whose displacement can not be determined". This is not part of the list of goods threatened with additional tariffs going through the media (e.g. Here's the full list of US products that China is planning to hit with tariffs).

Chinese made lithium batteries used for EV's will be excluded from USA tariffs : Batteries, inverters, solar cells safe from Section 301 tariffs

"The list of Chinese products that the Trump Administration is considering for duties under Section 301 spares inverters, solar cells and modules, as well as the lithium-ion batteries used in EVs and battery storage to accompany PV."

Saw a clip, and he had to slide it in .. that in tech his only concern is with Tesla ;)

That’s because Musk will ship it as “not a car.”

Status
Not open for further replies.