Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT

Elon tweeted that it's in good shape and they may be able to reuse it!

SpaceX would be crazy to fly this stage ever again though:
  • The center engine almost certainly got irreparably damaged from the glowing hot engine being dunked in cold water. (Maybe even the 2 other engines used for the re-entry burn and which were glowing hot just a short minute earlier.)
  • Salt water also doesn't do rocket internals any favors and even if in principle the rocket was designed to withstand this (ocean air has salt content to begin with), there's no natural high-volume, high-confidence test path for this. It only takes a single bad isolation and short circuit caused by salt water intrusion in the maze of wiring and electronics to cause hard to diagnose trouble down the road.
  • I don't think they have the recovery hardware to take the stage from water and put it on the ship. It requires careful craning to move the ~25 tons of first stage to not damage it even in port behind seawalls - on high seas with significant wave action and a clock ticking it's much, much harder.
  • The air-frame probably got a big lateral hit when it toppled - with a ~60 meters high first stage hitting the water at what must have been a speed of at least ~50 km/h that's a not an insignificant force and an unusual transient ...
While the center engine could be changed and the air-frame could be verified non-destructively, I think the residual risk will be too high to use this stage again.

But it's a fantastic test of the 'short landing' scenario just off the Florida coast nevertheless - this could be part of the abort sequence of manned launches (when the stage is too damaged to bring back to a landing pad on land safely), so the more testing they have of this scenario the better.

So I believe the main thing they want to recover is the hydraulic pump that got stuck - pumps in rocketry are very much not supposed to do that, but are prone to. That recovery alone will be worth a hundred million dollars.

Every unexpected failure in a rocket that triggers in such a late stage and has such low cost (there was no effect on the payload which was already in space at this point) and is recoverable is worth a lot of money in terms of increased reliability of all future rockets. Navies around the planet have spent fortunes fishing out bent rocket engines that re-entered from first and second stages from the bottom of the ocean.

Fully recovering your failed hardware mostly undamaged that has just been to space is the holy grail of rocketry QA feedback loops. Often post-mortem analysis of rocket failures has zero hardware residuals to work with.

Last edited:
What gets me about this is they criticize Tesla because the driver nag can be defeated.
Actually, they may force Tesla to start using interior camera to track driver's face and eyes etc, like somebody else did for ICE brand. I wish it didn't come to that, kind of feels uncomfortable, then some law can be introduced that the govt has the right to request and review your behavior in the car if they have certain suspicions and then those records end up on youtube, so everybody can laugh at them...People, don't abuse Autopilot please.

Thank you for sharing that. Is that SA entry yours?

No. I am not Ross Tessien. I expected the image to post under my comment making it clearer, but still a bit interface challenged by the rarely used options.

When and if will TaaS arrive? Neroden, from memory, says a decade. I think much sooner, in assigned geofenced good-road areas at first.

My lesson in dismissing technologies was learned from smart phone adoption. I figured the phones were only for the rich, the bandwidth would never be sufficient, the apps were all gimmicks. Six years later the company, putting ads in newspapers, went belly up. Nobody was buying newspapers. I was IT Manager, the one who should have seen it coming and advised soonest.

I spend more time watching nascent trends these days, trying to make change my friend. I post warnings on fb to friends and rels to roll their super into a fossil divested fund. As far as I can tell, none are listening.

Edit: btw, my degree was Mech Eng. I'm a coder with a base in physics, chem, thermo, calculus. So I 'get' Musk, and I 'get' what the Keeling Curve is telling us. It's a curse.

Last edited:
they have put high grade steel in quarter panels, pillars and battery bed.
I suspect if they would do more (bumper, back side, front doors) the car would become significantly more expensive and the weight is just part of the issues.
It is not easier to stamp good steel than aluminum. It is different, you need different form of stamp "lips", lubrication and of course different way of applying pressure (the main problem with using standard press to stamp Al plates).
There is problem with aluminum oxide, but it is easily solved with surface treatment before stamping.
People who learn to stamp Al don't return to steel and actually have difficulties with stamping steel when needed. You need to look for different things. In terms of equipment and the energy you use AL is cheaper. If to use properly the stamp forms last also much longer.
To make precise stamps you need to anticipate very well material flexibility (formability they name it). AL (and copper --another interesting material) are fundamentally different from steel. Hence different expertise=>"return to steel" argument.
I wouldn't be surprised if it would be also one of the reasons for Model 3 delays.
Material guys in Tesla are from airspace industry. I believe this is the reason why AL mostly (and composite and titan as possibilities).

AL parts are better against very small accidents (it just doesn't get damaged), but damaged parts are significantly more difficult to repair, and all loaded parts have to be reinforced with extra material after reforming or often have to be changed. It is the main reason for "easy" totaling of an aluminum car.
If to optimize car body vs. repairability (see insurance rates) you need a steel body. Tesla haven't done that exactly and easily damaged hood, doors etc. are still AL. Steel body is an essential part of a cheap affordable auto.

As well steel body is an essential part of a "repairable/serviceable" truck. Electrical part of Teslas post 2016 is fantastic, both design and execution. The only parts which would require real attention are body and suspension. AL trucks will be sold but the main clients will be big companies and special equipment providers mostly, i.e. customers who can afford in-house professional servicing or the customers with special needs.

There are no quarter panels on the 3. There is a fender and then a very complicated body side, which is steel.

They would already be using lubricants to make current aluminum and steel body panels.

There is no special press required for a aluminum vs steel. The press lines they have now do both and can continue to do so.

Steel is way easier to stamp. Waaaayyyyy. Especially when discussing Tesla body panels, which are some of the most sophisticated in the industry.

Don’t be ridiculous. Toolmakers all learn with steel first. Then will branch out to brass, copper, aluminum etc... it is a specialty to do class A panels in the first place. The majority of vehicle panels on the planet for the last 100 years have been steel. Anyone at Tesla that can do class A aluminum panels will have zero issues doing them in steel. Design of dies will be changed accordingly.

Longevity of dies is determined by what they are made of, whether for low volume or high volume, preventative maintenance program, how they are stored etc... Typically dies last for decades.

They’ll have run computer simulations on all their die designs before building them.

You’re concerned about nothing. They’ve had toolmakers for 7 years. It’s not their first rodeo.

Stumbled upon this gem

BE17DF1F-0261-48F1-8879-4B654752310A.png

One point of discussion concerns the trend toward shared vehicles rather than individual ownership. I myself have not followed closely that theory, primarily because I am a poster child for vehicle ownership (my fleet is enormous by most standards other than the Jay Leno Standard). However, if it is correct, then it concludes overall vehicle numbers would, I believe, continue to drop in the ensuing decades.
Thoughts?

I think this is a "it depends".

Firstly, I think the next decade will be dominated by new EV production and the big historic EV transition of humanity, which will mask any genuine drop in sustained demand for individual ownership of vehicles.

After that:
  • A big chunk of the lack of vehicle ownership by Millennials is plain old-school economics of take-home pay levels: wage gains were particularly low for that demographic so vehicle ownership is disproportionately expensive for many.
  • Rise in shared services like Netflix is mostly related to the convenience and location independence of those services. A car is a lot more specific to a person and a lot more constrained geographically, with physical and convenience costs of sharing. Whoever can afford to will still own cars I believe, because of the significant increase in convenience and future stability.
  • There will nevertheless be a big rise in professional shared economy related to cars: self-driving makes a lot of car sharing business models viable and ridiculously profitable, and the central bank of that economy will be the owner of the IP and of the manufacturing capacity: the car maker such as Tesla.
Personally I think it will play out mostly like Airbnb: Airbnb is replacing hotels and expanding tourism - a win-win effect. It didn't reduce individual ownership of homes in any measurable fashion I believe - it even expanded professional owners of homes bought for Airbnb purposes only.

Likewise I think the shared economy of cars will be mostly in a separate segment of 'taxi-alike' cars, replacing taxi companies and the likes of Ueber and Lyft who are not owning the capital that produces value.

(Could be wrong about it though, homes are still 5x-10x more expensive than cars and have no mobility, so their economics is different.)

• Love
Reactions: neroden and humbaba
Elon tweeted that it's in good shape and they may be able to reuse it!

Elon Musk on Twitter

I liked the idea one person posted, after Elon tweeted that they might reuse it for an internal mission:

Fix the broken grid fin and any obvious damage, then launch it, and land it.
Then immediately fill it with only a cursory inspection (rapid turnaround), and launch it and land it again,.
And again. And again. And again.
And keep doing so until something breaks and you don't get the rocket back.

Last edited:
They will renegotiate if Corbyn becomes PM.

Won't the sound of the negotiations be drown out by the sound of the singing fat lady sitting with a flock of flying pigs in a money tree, and the mooing of the cows coming home, across the frozen wastelands of hell, during a week comprised entirely of Sundays?

Actually, they may force Tesla to start using interior camera to track driver's face and eyes etc, like somebody else did for ICE brand. I wish it didn't come to that, kind of feels uncomfortable, then some law can be introduced that the govt has the right to request and review your behavior in the car if they have certain suspicions and then those records end up on youtube, so everybody can laugh at them...People, don't abuse Autopilot please.

By "they" do you mean government regulatory requirements? That is possible, but usually those issues are forced by some event. A safe pull over doesn't seem like a triggering event. Since Tesla is not doing the nanny cam I would expect competitors to push for that but, at least in the USA, there would be quite the market in circumvention systems -- and that is assuming legislation could even be passed with the "liberty or death" crowd fighting it tooth and nail.

In fact, the better the autonomous driving (or underlying safety system that I mentioned earlier) the less you need nanny nagging. I think the best defense against government regulation of that sort is for Tesla to make cars that live up to Musk's repeated claims (such as them being crash proof). That would create strong evidence against the need for government regulation.

OT....
OT

My big knock on FWD is torque steer, and boy would that be pronounced in a Tesla. My previous vehicle was FWD, my first vehicle RWD, and current is AWD. Of the three, AWD is my preference. I do enjoy the cornering behavior of FWD though.

Best of luck on the experience -- sounds like you've got your order in? Congratulations if so!

/OT

Yes, put in the order last month. Still waiting to hear from them. A little bit impatient (chomping at bit). Just got off the phone with support confirming that, yes, I've done everything. I wish the online interface was more informative -- such as listing a status: "waiting on VIN assignment". Absent cashing out my stock during a short squeeze I can't get it without financing and their process for that is also "wait and find out". I'm keeping an eye on the 45-day refund window -- I'd hate to lose the reservation payment because of lack of movement on their part and being turned down on financing after the window (it shouldn't be turned down, but getting the house loan was "interesting").

OT:

Fix the broken grid fin and any obvious damage, then launch it, and land it.
Then immediately fill it and launch it and land it again,.
And again. And again. And again.
And keep doing so until something breaks and you don't get the rocket back.

Very bad idea: the launch pad is a very valuable and complex piece of ground support hardware that is in the critical path of rocket launches.

SpaceX was in big trouble when Amos-6 exploded conflagrated, not primarily due to the loss of the payload (which was insured), but due to the loss of launch pad 40 which is a unique combination of low tech (gobs of concrete, big tanks, crazy lot of steel) and high-tech equipment (lots of electronics), worth hundreds of millions of dollars, custom built with a lead time of years and a repair time of 6+ months and not easily replaced.

The SLC-40 damage took 15 months to survey, repair and validate (the heat of the fire reportedly damaged concrete structures) ... In addition to the capital costs the missed revenue is significant as well: with ~15 launches over 15 months that's about a billion dollars of revenue missing.

They don't want to risk the launch pad, they only want to launch something they are certain won't break anywhere near the pad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.