Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the news of the day is that Tesla is cutting the price of the 3 in China, presumably due to lack of demand, and the SP is down premarket.

For a car that’s not even available yet.
Yes and the story shorts are excited about. I’m a bit flummoxed myself. I’ve got mental ping pong, trying to take in bullish and bearish thoughts.

Interest seems high in China and Europe, but do they just have high interest and early orders, or is demand deep enough to fill the order queue through mid year. Tesla does have more overtime burst and then slow down flexibility then the unionized producers. Could they be producing much higher then Troy predicts and getting ready to ship 3000 a week to China and 3000 a week to Europe, or is China weaker than expected? Have US/China relations poisoned the well so bad to hurt Tesla sales? Could this just be typical bear attack on low volume day pushing out weak long’s and levered long’s? Is this the perfect time to jump in, or wait until New Year’s Eve, which will be another low volume day, easily manipulated and buy some weekly calls next Monday around 9:30 in the mmd?
Tesla and TSLA is a tale of two cities, always the best of times and the worst of times. Depending on where you stand and where you look, it’s the best or worst and the cup it overfloweth or it’s about to shatter on the floor, cause Elon’s been drinking the sacramental.

Also thinking if they go hard core on production of model 3 now, some staff can possibly move to Lathrop later this year for Semi production, I say optimistically.

Anyhow, sorry for anyone leveraged. We were all fairly giddy at 360-370 and should be more so at 320 while the stock is on sale, but we are also subject to perceptions and macros and macro is either a glass half empty, cracked or possibly falling to the floor and impending doom. The fear of a trade war, early impact of the trade skirmish, modest fed rate hikes and effective reduction of money supply be QE2 liquidity reduction (seldom referenced but possibly the silent killer) are all shadows on the wall with everyone waiting for clarity.
All I know for sure is I was a fool for buying a couple of calls for next Friday last week. Go deep time or very short time and have a plan. I’ve been acquiring stock only most of the year and avoiding options. Glad I sold FB and AAPL and wish I had money to buy more stock here. Options are subject to all the above and it’s beyond me who’s going to win the next few points of this ping pong match, even though I believe TSLA will win big in the long run.

Long term thoughts:
Model 3 at 5000 a week is profitable and getting more profitable every day.
Tesla Energy is finally ramping and will be delivering over a billion a quarter soon, if not Q1.
The Semi should start to see some limited production and Lathrop seems like the only production option. Is radio silence a good thing, I think so, as they are still doing demos to customers as if their getting ready to deliver.
Model S/X are due for a battery refresh. Going to a 3 based battery pack will improve margins and performance and sales.
USA price reductions of 2% for SX and 1000 for the 3 are enough to keep sales going in the USA while they catch up overseas.
The Model Y unveil. May be deferred until later in the year, closer to production and will have a higher deposit. Probably 2500, but production will start more quickly. Possibly on the 3 line. With GF2, they can lower Model 3 production in Fremont and focus on more Y in 2020.
The Roadster is also coming up soon. Huge margins and can be assembled in a tent. I’d guess material science heavy developments as well.
The black swan in the room is macroeconomics and politics. Odds of a Putin strike in Ukraine while Mattis and Kelly are out and trump is acting defense secretary, chief of staff and Twitter and chief trade negotiator is high. N Korea could do a nuke test, or some other provocation the week before a Ukraine invasion and Turkey takes out the Kurds. It’s almost like there is a starting gun ready to go off. Dang, even my long term view is conflicted!

You still like 370/350/340 strikes for Q4?
I do and I like them better when they are cheaper. Obviously I’d move down a bit but a higher strike.which may be a safe bet is going to get one more leverage. Baring a major cluster... from OI or some black swan I won’t be surprised to see 380-400$ in 45 days.

Just to make me feel better.

What is Q4 production and deliveries expectations ?

Not sure but the Bloomberg tracker (what all the news lines use) is down around 4100 per week and dropping. Their 4th quarter count hasn’t moved in 5 days and indicates there will be less production than last quarter. There is no way that’s not intentional.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
So, once again, the FUD machine seems to be making news out of not much. Lots of stories on falling prices on the Model 3 in China - how the heck is this bad news? This is in response to lowered tariffs - of course the price would come down. Non-event. The other FUD item is Elon’s statement that he will reimburse customers for missed tax credits. The FUD machine seems to be making much more of this than it really is - I even heard one source make it seem like it would cost $7,500 per car (rather than $3,750) and made it seem like this goes well beyond those expecting deliveries by the end of this year (i.e., would continue for orders that are made in 2019). Where is the SEC on these types of completely untrue or twisted stories?! They jump all over Elon when he tries to be open with investors. But, the shorts and those against Tesla for reasons of not wanting ICE cars to be hurt by a new technology seem to be able to say/do whatever they want irrespective of the veracity behind their comments. The SEC really needs to take a hard look at short sellers and the methods they use.

Last edited:
While Tesla may have another leg down from traders and/or the overall market dropping further, in about 10 days we get Q4 production and in about 6 weeks Q4 earnings (and perhaps some general guidance re 2019).

I think this is about one of the best windows to buy we’ve seen over the past few years. Can understand leaving some dry powder for one more $10-25 drop, but these are very very likely very good prices right here (whether even lower prices are offered in coming days or not). fwiw, I added a nice chunk of trading shares at $299 this morning.

I wouldn’t let the widely broadcast narratives or emotional tones portrayed as obvious “adult” views affect your view of Tesla... they come almost entirely from the people so misreporting about Tesla they’ve had to triple their 2019 eps expectations in a 2-4 month span of time... and they’re 2019 estimates may still need to come up 50%.

Don’t mistake a generational stock disrupting two different trillion dollar industries for a penny stock blowing in the wind. Yes, in the short term, perception of this company can be influenced by those who are not happy with this potential massive disruption, but in the long term the massive disruption, and Tesla’s coinciding outlier scale growth in value, are as near to certainties as investing offers.

Last edited:
We likely see a lot of manipulations until people return to work and numbers are out early in January. Don't be surprised and better disregard the stock movements.

Fundamental are strong and I expect solid results with a joker for a positive surprise.

Manipulation is easy on short volume and thats what happening. No reason to be nervous at all but greedy. Its hard to predict how strong the swings will be but make sure you are never over leveraged and can sit it out.

The key I am waiting for is that the large guys are moving in which is what is required to achieve ATH. For that to happen we need more than production numbers IMO and no one can really say when its happening but that it's happening. Next opportunity is when we have full transparency on Q4 result but even then the we may no see the ATH breakout. Once Q1 is going well and China as well as Europe drive revenue and US keep going it should be hard to find anybody who want to sell or go short.

With that in mind down movement like we see them now do look different.

On the Marco part I do not see anything severely concerning other than a very negative sentiment that is not supported by indicators. Usually negative sentiments driven by politics have shorts legs and go back to normal.

Unfortunately the market is often right and I have seen downturns before where it did not look bad but developed into it. We can't rule that out.

However right now its all very unclear with technicals really depressed and a lot of uncertainty in the market.

I just looked again at Elon’s tweet regarding covering the tax credit if delivery is not made before the EOY. The question he was responding to related to pre-December orders. I believe Elon’s response was specifically related to such pre-December orders. I imagine this is a very limited group at this point (based on my own experience, pre-December orders in my area seem to be getting delivered). Once again, the FUDsters and the ICE driven media seem to be making much about nothing. Unfortunately, that much about nothing has led to a further dramatic decline. Elon’s tweet seems to be hitting major media outlets, but they are not including Wang Meister’s question (which, again, references pre-December orders).
D2B8874C-9014-48A7-8CD8-5B05A33327A9.jpeg

I just looked again at Elon’s tweet regarding covering the tax credit if delivery is not made before the EOY. The question he was responding to related to pre-December orders. I believe Elon’s response was specifically related to such pre-December orders. I imagine this is a very limited group at this point (based on my own experience, pre-December orders in my area seem to be getting delivered). Once again, the FUDsters and the ICE driven media seem to be making much about nothing. Unfortunately, that much about nothing has led to a further dramatic decline. Elon’s tweet seems to be hitting major media outlets, but they are not including Wang Meister’s question (which, again, references pre-December orders).
View attachment 363611
Right, the group of people covered by the "order by Dec 1st and get full tax credit" statement.

Edit: was before Dec 1st, or by end of November, or some such, not the direct quote...

Status
Not open for further replies.