Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on Tesla China M3 showcase: Tesla Model 3 showcase is happening now in China
1f1e8-1f1f3.png
, many local Chinese potential customers get to see M3 in person. Demand is huge.

here is my tweet with pix : vincent on Twitter

Berkshire responds:

Charlie Munger calls Elon Musk 'brilliant' and bitcoin 'stupid and immoral'

Regarding Tesla, Munger said, “It’s already created more significance than anybody had predicted. Its founder is bold and brilliant, and he swings for the fences. People like that get some remarkable results. Sometimes they get some quick failures. I haven’t the faintest idea how Elon Musk will turn out, but he has a considerable chance of success and considerable chance of failure. He seems to like it that way.”

I’ve thought the same for a long time. Contrary to what gets machine gun repitition to seem as if it’s common sense, I think Buffett would consider Tesla an attractive stock, likely very attractive. Based. On. Numbers. Not saying he’d buy necessarily, but, he might quite directly contradict that bear false narrative (“cult stock,” “can’t be valued,” “bubble,”...) and he’d be about the best person on the planet to deliver that message.
Buffett already chose his EV investment - BYD.

Here is the thing about the short sellers. They identify us longs as cult members. Apparently they don't really believe it because they seem to think the stock price will go down. Who is going to sell? Honestly, I am looking at future valuations in a world short sellers simply can't imagine. However, owning TSLA is a part of my identity. I don't think I'll give up on it ever basically and when it goes down I will buy more.
I think you're self-identifying as a cult member.

I have enjoyed reading this weekends comments here. Someone said they were “looking to buy in soon,” not Monday, and I smiled.
Saturday I had coffee at 0730 with my good friend, a retired Master Sergeant (US Army ~ Infantry). As we headed out to our cars, he was going on about the X, my Model X, so I forced him to get in and sit in the driver’s seat (pilots chair). Looking frantically for the gear shift, I smiled and showed him.
As we were finally parting, he said he had to get one, and I said the Model 3 was about the same as his Prius ~ he, looked at me and said, “NO,” I am going to get one of these. I am surprised Xena’s falcon wings did not start flapping:)

Elon’s specific tweet about VW investing $23 billion in batteries had me thinking a bit. VW realizes they are way too far behind, hence, they are throwing money at the problem. Even Bosch couldn’t see themselves taking the risks in battery production... while many battery companies exist in China, most of those batteries will go to Chinese automakers.. and even if those batteries do exist for VW, it looks like one recipe is missing for them, and that’s making the battery packs/modules. This is where Tesla can step in to help. Would it be too far fetch to think that part of VW’s billions will go towards helping battery companies as well as Tesla scaleup packs/modules for them in some form of partnership? After all VW has no clue how to start. Mercedes invested $200 million in a battery pack facility, but that is really minuscule. Looking at the playing field I just don’t see too many companies capable of scaling up modules/packs for VW. They really need a partner who understands battery packaging. Right now Tesla is the best at what they do, seems like a feasible partnership wouldn’t you think? Now I’m not saying that the batteries for VW will be coming out of the GF, it might be coming out from China’s division of Tesla/Panasonic/VW.

Last edited:
New factory in China will also build Model-Y, which will be exported around the world including the US.

While I can see them building the factory big enough to build both 3 and Y, I don't think they'll export Y from China. I think instead we'll see Y built also in North America (possibly at GF1, possibly at a new GF), but also in Europe (along with 3). For now I suspect they'll keep S/X in Fremont as I'm not sure there's demand for 2-3x S/X production in the short to medium term, and possibly not long term.

edit: I should say I meant I didn't think they would only produce Y in China and export to world. As @RobStark mentioned exporting from China to other nearby areas such as Asia / Australia / New Zealand makes sense, but I don't think they'll ship them from China to the US or Europe - makes more sense to build them closer by.

Last edited:
New factory in China will also build Model-Y, which will be exported around the world including the US.

Tesla Will Reveal the Locations for Two New Factories in 2018

In the last quarterly call, Elon specifically stated discussions with various US States on a new factory.

It is 99.99% certain this new US factory will produce Model Y. Europe will almost certainly get Model Y from US until a European GF is built.

Chinese GF will likely serve Asia plus Australia and New Zealand.

I’ve thought the same for a long time. Contrary to what gets machine gun repitition to seem as if it’s common sense, I think Buffett would consider Tesla an attractive stock, likely very attractive. Based. On. Numbers. Not saying he’d buy necessarily, but, he might quite directly contradict that bear false narrative (“cult stock,” “can’t be valued,” “bubble,”...) and he’d be about the best person on the planet to deliver that message.

Buffett doesn't look at stock, but at companies. And if you break Tesla down, look at the capital they have, the revenue, the profit, the size and so on, they are massively overvalued.

The reason why Tesla stock is so high, is because the future might be a lot better than today. But that's a gamble. And gambling isn't the same as investing. That's why Buffett is so successful, he doesn't look at hyped stock, but rather at steady performers that fly under the radar.

Would it be too far fetch to think that part of VW’s billions will go towards helping battery companies as well as Tesla scaleup packs/modules for them in some form of partnership?

I don't think that will happen.

Now, the German automaker announced this week that it contracted its Braunschweig plant to produce ‘up to 500,000 EV battery packs per year.’ [...] Earlier this month, the company hired Tesla’s Model S and Model X program manager to lead the development of the MEB line. [...] Now, they are making the Braunschweig site a hub for the production of the battery systems that will support the MEB lineup.

Volkswagen prepares to produce ‘up to 500,000 EV battery packs per year’ at Brunswick factory

What if all rumors turn out to be true? ...

Tesla share price would explode, their existence would be secured and shorts would lose their positions. What if none of the rumors turns out to be true?

It is 99.99% certain this new US factory will produce Model Y. Europe will almost certainly get Model Y from US until a European GF is built.

I'm not sure this will already happen with the next factory, but i'd assume that later production lines will be able to produce both models with only minor adaption. For me that was pretty clear after Elon said Model Y would share the Model 3 platform. Most manufacturers seem to be able to mix 4 or more models sharing a common platform on a single assembly line and keep output pretty high. I guess the ability to react to changing demand is worth minor efficiency losses.

Elon’s specific tweet about VW investing $23 billion in batteries had me thinking a bit. VW realizes they are way too far behind, hence, they are throwing money at the problem. Even Bosch couldn’t see themselves taking the risks in battery production... while many battery companies exist in China, most of those batteries will go to Chinese automakers.. and even if those batteries do exist for VW, it looks like one recipe is missing for them, and that’s making the battery packs/modules. This is where Tesla can step in to help. Would it be too far fetch to think that part of VW’s billions will go towards helping battery companies as well as Tesla scaleup packs/modules for them in some form of partnership? After all VW has no clue how to start. Mercedes invested $200 million in a battery pack facility, but that is really minuscule. Looking at the playing field I just don’t see too many companies capable of scaling up modules/packs for VW. They really need a partner who understands battery packaging. Right now Tesla is the best at what they do, seems like a feasible partnership wouldn’t you think? Now I’m not saying that the batteries for VW will be coming out of the GF, it might be coming out from China’s division of Tesla/Panasonic/VW.
Interesting line of thought!
Just to add one small contributary: VW owns Scania, the truck, bus and marine diesel company, which is dipping toes into electric. IIRC they have invested in Northvolt, but that pilot factory is only getting shovels into ground these very days. Maybe they could benefit from a second battery source, like Tesla? Hmm.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
I’m back! (And still alive).

A Big Bad MODERATOR announcement will be forthcoming...some time.

For now, however, all I am going to share is:

I can hardly wait until next quarter’s Conference Call. Get the popcorn ready now!
Something tells me we may not have to wait that long. July 1-3 will bring the next deliveries quick report. Model 3 numbers should be very "educational".

Status
Not open for further replies.