Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in the investment industry for 40 years, held Series 7 and 63 brokerage licenses, traded stocks, bonds and options for the same period, but I obviously don't have as much experience as you, given your comments.

I've listened to quarterly analysts calls for decades on a wide range of stocks I've owned, since way before Tesla was a glimmer in anyone's eye, and questions from the analysts can be brutal. And if the person answers by deflecting or refusing the question, they will ask it again -- analysts can be relentless until they think they've gotten a solid answer. And, it's not the least bit unusual for another analysts to go back to a previous question if they didn't fully understand the answer, That's just how it works across the board, not just for Tesla.

The nature of Elon's responses were inappropriate.

So you’re saying analysts are boring and ask dry questions or is that dry and ask boring questions? Give me a second to go back and reread the transcript.

You know there used to be a ‘the way space rockets used to always be done’ and a ‘the way selling cars used to always be done’ and a ‘the way building cars with fossil fuel engines always used to be done’ and....

Sometimes the way it’s always been done needs to change. Analysts might want to heed the hint they just got or the new way will be ‘let’s go to YouTube’.

No I understood you perfectly. You were being misleading for a reason. I know what that reason is.

Agree. I've never heard of "some 100k" meaning "some multiple of 100k". Everywhere I've ever heard it used, it means "approximately 100k".

Mod: He's not a native english speaker. If the words were "some hundreds of thousands" the meaning would have been totally different. Let's go with benefit of the doubt and stop the discussion NOW. --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any way to believe this without believing the current numbers are fraudulent?
To put it very simply, we think that at the current or higher ASP, Tesla will find insufficient demand within a couple of years, and if they substantially lower the ASP they will be selling at a loss. Plus we see competition coming over the next few years to peel off some of the richer buyers (Jaguar/BMW) and the poorer (Nissan/Hyundai/Kia).

Sam from Navigant on Mr Twit #666
(I am not superstitious but a black thought just crossed my mind...)

TLDW:
elon hard to work for
you get thrown under bus

elon 22% shares, does not want dilute, for control
Personally borrowed 800 million to buy shares.

bets vw will buy brand
(!)
terrible manager
Needs a timcook but will not cede control

Tesla VW?
Please god, no.
Why not Apple+Google?
Please?
Murrikin Teamwork Time
Critical bit, Into The Dark:
22% Control requirement, if correct...
really does not want an equity raise
really does not want
the stock price up to high?

Cash he doesn't have, needed
to buy the 22% to maintain control?
I have now become a episode of Black Mirror.

Thanks, it was nice of you to admit that shorts do try to destroy good companies.
Not sure what you mean by "good" company but shorts don't seek to attack well-run companies with good business plans. That would be a quick way to lose money. We seek out badly managed companies with weak plans and/or solvency/liquidity issues.

And most of us are not short overall. We generally have more long positions than short.

To put it very simply, we think that at the current or higher ASP, Tesla will find insufficient demand within a couple of years, and if they substantially lower the ASP they will be selling at a loss. Plus we see competition coming over the next few years to peel off some of the richer buyers (Jaguar/BMW) and the poorer (Nissan/Hyundai/Kia).
Fair enough your thoughts on insufficient demand. I'd actually agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

The "competition" statement, though, methinks doesn't hold as much water as you think it does. There's plenty of room for buyers in all $$ categories to choose Jaguar/BMW/Nissan/Hyundai/Kia or even Faraday Future. Those sales won't hurt Tesla because Tesla STILL won't be able to produce as fast as the demand for Teslas worldwide. Tesla isn't looking to be the single and only car company existing; there's plenty of room for many. Elon has said many times that he welcomes competition. Read @Reciprocity's many posts on the subject, they delve into all the details.

I for one can hardly wait for the competition to prove beyond Powerpoint slides that they have a good product (including a charging design and the infrastructure that allows for long distance travel).

we think that at the current or higher ASP, Tesla will find insufficient demand within a couple of years, and if they substantially lower the ASP they will be selling at a loss.

So you do believe they will be profitable at 5k/week in 2018, when they’ll be selling higher-end models (first production, AWD, performance).

Do you believe they’ll be profitable in 2019, when they’ll be selling higher-end models internationally?

By 2020, you think there won’t be any new demand for the higher-end models that people have seen their friends, neighbors, family, and coworkers driving?

If you really believe that, then I guess I understand your short position.

Status
Not open for further replies.