Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're in it for the long haul it won't matter. When the stock is at $500 at the end of the year we won't remember the difference between buying at $270 or $300.

Dan

Yes, but when you have a buy order in for $5/share less than it is and then the dip reverses it takes some nerve not to just adjust and grab some- because you want the thrill/satisfaction of buying the bottom of the dip! :eek:

The obvious bull response should be, "So what?" If Tesla is more profitable selling LR versions and doesn't run out of orders, as a shareholder, I don't have a problem with that.

Well ofc, but if Tesla wants to be a 1T+ company and change the world they need to sell millions of cars (among everything else ofc), and I doubt they can do it with 78+k cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark and Teslie
Well ofc, but if Tesla wants to be a 1T+ company and change the world they need to sell millions of cars (among everything else ofc), and I doubt they can do it with 78+k cars.

But do they want to get there by selling millions of Model 3s per year or something more like:

500,000 Model 3 (10k/week)
100,000 S/X (current)
500,000 Model Y (based on current demand U.S. trends)
250,000 Pickups
100,000 Semis

A varied output accounts more for shifts in demand and regional preferences. If they ever achieve these rates other companies will pick up the slack and they can remain a premium brand (which they probably should).

Ok, set my limit order at $270. Go ahead, make my day.
images

They will also claim Tesla has burned through the backlog of expensive reservations.

Gee. I’m getting good at imitating a short:)
Correct! They've already lost one of my Model 3 reservations, so minus one. Because i ordered the car my reservation is gone. When they deliver that to me that will be the end of my $86,000 payment, which will again not be soon repeated by me. They'll be down to just one Model 3 reservation for me. Just think, if such actions are repeated by only 500,000 people the existing backlog of reservations will be gone, finished, kaput! Then they'll need to either have more reservations in the meantime (something no other manufacturer has ever done) or they'll need to sell cars without reservations. Tesla has never sold a Model 3 without a reservation. Obviously that will be unprecedented. What if they must sell it just like any other Tesla, with an order? Maybe they'll even sell them from inventory. Disaster!! Then, tesla has never advertised so they know nothing at all about how to do that. What if they need to advertise? Can they learn how to do that difficult business?

if all that is not enough they are planning to build new Superchargers in Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Russia and other countries they've never entered. Can they do that? Then they've accepted reservations for Model 3 from bizarre countries like Brazil where they have nothing at all other than a few Model S and X. How could they do that?

They have orders and reservations form Texas, Michigan, Louisiana and other states that do not permit them to sell directly. How irresponsible!?

This is awful. I might turn into a bear if all this fails to happen...and I have more invested than other posters in this thread. I might, but if I have been so dismissive of FUD for so long I must be a bull. OK, I won't sell. In fact i just bought some more shares this AM. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that yesterday’s CR report was a loaded weapon sitting on the shelf to take tesla down when the moment seemed right. If you google CR and apple - u will see similar theatrics they did. They are a dying media group that is starved for attention. This report put them in the spotlight and drew lots of traffic to their website. Today’s news on China tariffs cannnot be understated. This is huge and is a systematic event that changes the future financial prospects of tesla in China. Trade em well

Good thing the Model 3 LR is already profitable starting at $44k. Higher value versions will yield much more net cash per vehicle, which in the next year or so is what Tesla needs most to accelerate into a $1T valuation.

Reactions: wipster and Starno
They have orders and reservations form Texas, Michigan, Louisiana and other states that do not permit them to sell directly. How irresponsible!?

This is awful. I might turn into a bear if all this fails to happen...and I have more invested than other posters in this thread. I might, but if I have been so dismissive of FUD for so long I must be a bull. OK, I won't sell. In fact i just bought some more shares this AM. :rolleyes:

I’m in Louisiana. Hoping the Ranger service is great!

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I hate to say this but Elon and Tesla need some more experienced people at the top to help steer the company ... Elon is simply not that guy as he is the visionary but they need a execution person there next to him. This person needs to handle supply chain logistics as well as media statements and investor relations (read analyst calls) ... Elon's personality is not well suited to this nor does he seem to have the time as he's got his hands in too many other projects. Don't get me wrong .. Elon IS Tesla but even Jobs had Tim Cook ... Elon needs his Tim.

Cheers to the longs.

Yeah I used to think that too. The problem is you can’t have both. A COO would go crazy working for Elon and would get fired or quit within a year. In fact, that’s probably what happened with some high profile exits over the years. There is no perfect company. You either have a crazy genius running the company (Jobs, Elon) or you don’t. As Apple found when they ousted Jobs, a boring by the numbers MBA running the company is a great recipie for bankruptcy. I’d rather have Elon, with all his management “faults” running Tesla, than anyone else.

Last edited:
How can they fix a problem they never knew existed? Have you seen ANY other reports that describe this problem?

I have. Car & Driver noted the same thing a month ago:

2018 Tesla Model 3 | Performance and Driving Impressions Review | Car and Driver
"Braking
The Tesla barely ekes out a win in this category with its stop from 70 mph, although we did notice a bizarre amount of variation in our test, which involves six consecutive panic stops—the third of these stops took an interminable 196 feet."

Apparently it was not that hard to detect this issue, as multiple reviewers found it in their routine testing. Tesla would be well advised to ramp up its QA, and monitor independent test results. If a major auto publication found "bizarre" variation in the primary safety equipment of a product I manufactured, you better believe I'd be investigating pronto!

Yeah I used to think that too. The problem is you can’t have both. A COO would go crazy working for Elon and would get fired or quit within a year. In fact, that’s probably what happened with some high profile exits over the years. There is no perfect company. You either have a crazy genius running the company (Jobs, Elon) or you don’t. As Apple found when they ousted Jobs, a boring by the numbers MBA running the company is a great recipie for bankruptcy. I’d rather have Elon, with all his management “faults” running Tesla, than anyone else.

It’s curious that Elon chooses to have Gwynne Shotwell for Space-X.

He must have some reason why he feels it works there but not at Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.