Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I agree with this. it is amazing that the market totally ignores the paradigm shift that Tesla presents. Every time some article downgrades it is really an opportunity to buy. Think about it changing the Paradigm of automobiles who is at threat, oil and traditional car manufacturers.
Changing the Paradigm of energy with solar and storage products i e a stationary battery is such a good product to sell it is by definition stuck in one place. It can timeshift Peak loads of the current outdated grid system and peaker plants.
Development of fully self-driving cars using narrow AI if it was any other company such as GM Uber excetera they get huge Market approval but Tesla it's no acknowledgement.

Compared to other companies in the past five to ten years changing the Paradigm of Telecommunications, TV, DVDs, and online selling.

Tesla is selling a product, Tesla is selling the future and changing how we use and understand energy.

They are not selling advertisement spots on their webpage..

One way to look at this is that Tesla's business model at its core is relentless innovation, which means investing heavily in R&D as well as capital equipment and infrastructure needed to develop and sell category-defining products.

One source of funds for these investments is money saved on conventional advertising and marketing.

As a result, Tesla's product development is ALWAYS ahead of public perception of it, in part because Tesla is not advertising and the press is structurally biased in favor of incumbents who spend heavily on advertising and keep the press in business.

Investors benefit by having the opportunity to buy something that is systematically undervalued by the market. But the downside is that the market can be frustratingly slow to recognize and reward Tesla for breakthrough innovations, technological advantages and successful product launches.

Hopefully in the long run as the financial benefits of constant innovation become apparent the "weighing machine" function of the market will take over from the "voting machine," which is heavily influenced by the media and other influencers.

Last edited:
I'd say it's also the only viable way for the majority of people.
99,99% of "private day traders" don't make money, or not in an efficient way (they don't beat the market) or they do but barely beat it by a few percents while spending massive amount of hours.
----
I don't know what the actual statistics are on that, I think the irs is the only one that could publish good data on it. I think that if that's true, that's because 99.9% traders don't put the time in, and they give up before they get good at it. Just think of starting a risky business, such as electric cars. You might lose money for a while maybe even for years, it's going to be hard and not much fun, but eventually it works:) I'd like to see the stats on if people really did put that 40hrs a week and then see what the success rates looked like.

Sidenote: I always wonder what would happen if hedge fund managers spent less time trying to badmouth companies they are shorting and instead spent that time heads down working on research.

If you look at the short percentage of trading over the last few days, it had really dropped substantially. @Papafox covers that in his thread. I believe yesterday was under 50%, which is quite low by TSLA's recent standards. Shorts may have sensed some weakness due to TSLA being range bound. They tested the stock with some heavy selling at the open and found weakness, so they have just kept selling today. I suspect the short percentage of trading will be back up in the mid to upper 60% today. The close today will be interesting because of the meeting tonight. Shorts will know that there is a chance that Elon provides some information that could move the stock. Because of that, I would guess we will see some short covering near the close. I don't think there is any reason to think tonight's meeting will be a negative catalyst.

I would not be surprised if this current move is a knee jerk anticipation of drop after call like last time, but this time there will be cause for the opposite instead. Elon will not repeat the same blunder but instead reveal why he thought the short squeeze of the century would happen just around the time the flame throwers arrived. My bet is on surprise on energy revenue and production capacity, deliveries in canada and china, proven model 3 run-rate to be utilized after july 1st, positive margin on current model 3 deliveries earlier than anticipated based on low cost of production. Maybe substantiation of the rumors around china gigafactory (do we call anti-fud respin of rumors to pump the stock up as we saw in the last weeks?)

I am betting on a harsh reversal after the call. But of course I could be all wrong.

As Elon said, place your bets :)

You have a very low opinion of TMC members. Reading a post would drive them to bet the family farm
Or, just encouraged to make some moves they otherwise might not have, you know, as some members here have admitted they did because they were caught up in the hype. Let's not pretend that some people aren't influenced by what is written here, or that some people don't invest emotionally.

Or, just encouraged to make some moves they otherwise might not have, you know, as some members here have admitted they did because they were caught up in the hype. Let's not pretend that some people aren't influenced by what is written here, or that some people don't invest emotionally.

I certainly would have loved to get out at 385 and enter again at 255 if I had the crystal ball to direct me.

And I probably overextended quite a fair bit assuming that the short squeeze would happen by end of 2017 when deliveries of model 3 would be getting closer to 10,000 per week. We all know that didnt play out too well and that it basically happens almost a year later.

Did the hype here accelerate that? Maybe a bit, but honestly, it was the experience of previous short squeeze around model X doubting and car fires and all that as well as taking delivery of a Model X that convinced me to trust that it will go in the right direction soon enough.

And then the test drive of a model 3 in september 2017 sealed the deal, which in retrospect I was an idiot and ignored a big warning sign: The car I test drove was picked up by somebody else who offered me to take a ride in it and broke down to the point of having to be towed a few miles from the factory.

But I was so excited about the experience, the quality of the ride, the acceleration, the display-only not being an issue, the quality of the seats compared to what I knew from my VW eGolf and even Model X, basically seeing that tesla actually is succeeding in making a car as desireable as the model S, at half the cost for similar specs.

It blinded me for the glaring possibility that it may take them longer than I hoped to get a quality build ramp going with none of the delivered cars having grave issues like the one I just saw towed.

Really all I have to blame here is me, but now things have gotten to the point that we are back on track with the dream, and I see happy model 3 owners everywhere, and took delivery of my own in january which again confirmed my investment thesis that this is an amazing feat that no other car maker can directly compete with for a while. I put more than 6000 miles on it since january and am still giddy and excited every time I have an opportunity to drive it, take it through the hills on a longer, more curvy path just to have fun etc.

Whoever I showed it to says they want one. Some by now got theirs, some reserved later and are waiting...

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if this current move is a knee jerk anticipation of drop after call like last time, but this time there will be cause for the opposite instead. Elon will not repeat the same blunder but instead reveal why he thought the short squeeze of the century would happen just around the time the flame throwers arrived. My bet is on surprise on energy revenue and production capacity, deliveries in canada and china, proven model 3 run-rate to be utilized after july 1st, positive margin on current model 3 deliveries earlier than anticipated based on low cost of production. Maybe substantiation of the rumors around china gigafactory (do we call anti-fud respin of rumors to pump the stock up as we saw in the last weeks?)

I am betting on a harsh reversal after the call. But of course I could be all wrong.

As Elon said, place your bets :)
I don't remember the last one or the trading around it. What happened? Did some negative news come out of it? Or had the stock climbed leading up to it and then sold off after the event?

Maybe US should start following the Old World of EU in this respect? I'm referring to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which was late out of the gate but still several laps ahead.

Nah, that would be bad for big bizniz. Or maybe the old geezers are starting to fall off? Dave Koch just quit.
Banks have to follow the laws that apply in every place where they operate. So GDPR already applies to many of the transactions that Second Measures is sourcing or attempting to source.

I suspect it’s not allowed to organize any type of action so I won’t. Every day I up the limit on the number of shares I allow to loan out to be shorted, fidelity finds a borrower within 24 hrs. I intend to ask for all my shares back once tesla announces 5000 a week. It would be nice if a lot of others thought the same way. I guess that’s no different than a Chanos on National tv recommending people short. Antway will not post again nor answer questions on the topic

Am I missing some bad news? The tanking is nutz this morning.

Today was what I call a "hit and run bear attack". The shorts who make money day-trade manipulating TSLA have been a bit quiet the past week as percentage of TSLA selling by shorts fell from 60% to less than 50%. They know that trying to push TSLA below the lower bollinger band and particularly below 275 is now a losing proposition (unless there's a macro catastrophe or Tesla really bad news). So, they sat back, let the SP rise above the mid bb and waited for the right day. Five of the past six trading days have been positive for TSLA, which sets it up for a down day, as does good macro days followed by a neutral macro day with uncertainty of annual meeting day upon us, and FUD this morning suggesting questions about the outcome of the proposal to get rid of some Musk favorites on the board and kick Elon out of the chairmanship (will never happen). So, shorts saw an opening, started selling hard in morning and took profits once TSLA bottomed out. It was actually a good move for the manipulators, they made some money, got out, and now TSLA is recovering. This has nothing to do with the value of TSLA as an investment and everything to do with gamesmanship.

shortsjun4.png

Last edited:
It's still nearly 2 hours to the SMeeting, right? Too late here in Romance Standard Time, it's time fr Tubby ByeByes here...

Right; it's about an hour away now. Sleep well. :)

Unlike in the case of Howard Schultz leaving Starbucks possibly to run for US president, Elon Musk is a naturalized American citizen. Therefore Elon won't be announcing he is leaving his business enterprises to run for US president, since he is ineligible. So no worries about that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.