Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Powerwall 2 including additional hardware and installation sells for something in the order of $600 / kwh, right? I think it's reasonable to assume, that large scale installations like the one in Australia sell for a much lower price. If we can agree on this, that puts an upper limit on the revenue and prices will probably continue to drop. Let's assume sales and price develop like this:

2018: 1 GWh, $600 / KWh
2019: 2 GWh, $500 / KWh
2020: 4 GWh, $400 / KWh
2021: 8 GWh, $300 / KWh
2022: 16 GWh, $250 / KWh

That would be $4 billion in revenue about 5 years from now. Let's apply a 10% net margin and you end up with something like $400 million in earnings per year. With a P/E of 20 that translates into something like $8 billion additional stock value. Let's say in 2022 there are 200 million shares and we arrive at a value per share of $40. Now you'd have to discount that back and adjust for possible risks resulting from tech breakthroughs, macro-economy, competition (hi Asia!), lower margins, rising interest rates and so on. That's even more of a guessing game. Hm ... let's just say $20 a share right now?

To be honest, i think there will be more than 200 million shares by 2022, but i won't mention that at TMC. I'm not THAT stupid! It may also be hard to sell storage at $250 / kwh 5 years from now. I mean you guys are assuming battery costs on the pack level to be well below $100 / kwh for automotive grade batteries by then. Of course, if you plug in different numbers or simply extrapolate that series until 2030 you may end up with any share price you want. But for now i decided that Tesla Energy is no reason to leave the building anytime soon. We'll see, maybe i'll move a bit closer to the exit when Q3 / Q4 approaches ...
What you have illustrated here is a learning curve, price drops x% every time production doubles. This can be true of both the price to customers and the cost to producers. But what primarily drives the retail price down is competition or the threat of competition. Indeed one basic learning curve strategy is for a dominant producer to keep cutting prices so as to prevent other producers from gaining market share. So it is unnecessary to assume that competition comes as follow on to price declines as you suggest above. Rather just note that the steepness of price decline are in fact a product of this competition. What is really critical for Tesla as a market leader here is to continue to push down costs through both innovation and scale. To fail to scale with this emerging industry would be to cede leadership and fall behind on the learning necessary to drive down costs. A key advantage that Tesla has is that it will have broad exposure to the battery market in automotive, commercial vehicle, utility scale storage and home battery segments. They have exposure not just as the battery maker, but as the maker and marketer of final products. This positions Tesla to be an optimal learner on the learning curve. They've got scale (Gigafactories) plus depth (many products in many segments). Thus, the value of TE to Tesla is not merely the profit contribution that TE makes, but the scale and depth of learning that TE participates in.

For example, suppose as Tesla is doing basic R&D into cells or pack designs, they discover something that is particularly applicable to TE but not TM. Well, they have exposure to TE and so can exploit the value of that learn. Suppose they learn something else that advance Semis but not so much TE or autos. Well, through the TS segment they can capitalize on that learning too. But sometimes they'll get lucky and discover things that improves batteries or cuts cost across all segments. Again they are positioned to harness that learning. So scale and depth of learning interact to optimize the value of that learning. I believe this why Tesla wants to be in all these segments. It will keep them at the front edge wherever that may be happening.

Of course, this is a grand race. Other competitors will try to run in this race as well, and we can never be sure that Tesla will not be overtaken some day. But as investors the best we can do is try to put our money on the horses that are most likely to lead the race. My view is that Tesla at this moment is one of the best positioned companies to lead along battery learning curve. If not, I'd like to hear specific recommendations about which company might be better positioned.

Last edited:
I think it's reasonable to assume, that large scale installations like the one in Australia sell for a much lower price.

Australia project revenue was $72M or $560/kWh. That includes installation costs as well as local taxes. A naked powerwall (no installation costs) goes for roughly $450/kWh excluding installation and other costs.

Powerwall 2 including additional hardware and installation sells for something in the order of $600 / kwh, right? I think it's reasonable to assume, that large scale installations like the one in Australia sell for a much lower price.

I'm pretty sure that Elon said large installations sell for $250/kWh for the batteries. (Add installation/inverters/etc.)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and YasB
I've been stating since TSLA hit ATH last September that it was getting ahead of itself and confirmation of 5000 M3/wk was needed to sustain the ATH. Well here we are, +-4 weeks away from hitting that magic production number and sitting at.... +-$300 SP. I'm in disbelief with the SP and maintain my original thesis that ATH ($386) will return upon confirmation of meeting the production goal. Disclosure: Long Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.