Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, avoidance of confirmation bias is crucial (and is why I often come here).

I increased (not doubled) my short shortly after the shareholders' meeting, but unless there is more news, I probably won't do anything more until the Q2 delivery update. I have standing orders to buy back the lower half of my bear spreads, but at quite low prices.

You should only take a position on an investment, immaterial of the side, if you know the opposing side’s argument better than they do.

And never get emotional.

Edit: not lecturing, just adding to your belief that hanging out with those who don’t share your view is healthy.

Last edited:
Trimming fat in the solar business and taking the final step in converting the solar sales model to match the car business -- selling via the Internet and Tesla stores. Good.

Agreed. I predicted this when the RIF's were announced. I believe there was something about this news a day or so ago. They're concentrating on the Solar roofs at the Gigafactory. I feel for the staff being let go, but it was apparently necessarunder the restructuring. But they have experience in a growing Industry so hopefully they won't be without work for long.

Ya but my options aren't in Elon time so if he could be punctual this time, that'd be greeeaaat. *Office Space voice*

And yes some other options are in real Elon time. :p Have to hedge those bets.
Weeklies are pretty scary but some of our TSLA investors here have made out like bandits trading those. If I was going to buy options they would be long calls or LEAPs. I'm no technical trader and I would probably lose my shirt on any short term options.

Somehow Reuters found commenters to spin this negatively. Of course it's a positive. They're shutting down the expensive marketing and sales side of SolarCity now that they can generate Powerwall and Solar Roof reservations for zero marketing costs faster than they can fulfill them. Standalone solar-without-batteries is a business they're getting out of, and solar-and-batteries doesn't need salespeople; the solar business is now simply an adjunct to the battery business.

Somehow Reuters found commenters to spin this negatively. Of course it's a positive. They're shutting down the expensive marketing and sales side of SolarCity now that they can generate Powerwall and Solar Roof reservations for zero marketing costs faster than they can fulfill them. Standalone solar-without-batteries is a business they're getting out of, and solar-and-batteries doesn't need salespeople; the solar business is now simply an adjunct to the battery business.

Some installation sites are being shut down as well too. While a handful of employees are moved to other sites, I think many will be let go. With Home Depot providing up to 50% of Tesla’s current installs, the short term effect will be less business. However, if Tesla can find a way to attract buyers into their stores then it’ll save them lots of money in the near/long term. Currently Tesla solar should have enough customers to keep them busy for awhile, but expect more volatility tomorrow. My gut tells me that bears have regained a little bit of momentum from us.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and YasB
Weeklies are pretty scary but some of our TSLA investors here have made out like bandits trading those. If I was going to buy options they would be long calls or LEAPs. I'm no technical trader and I would probably lose my shirt on any short term options.

My TSLA position is 90% stock so that's my long play. The 10% options are a fun more frequent way to play the stock on the short term so I don't sell stock at the wrong time or buy on too many dips and overweight myself in TSLA. Right now I'm buying some calls on dips for his 3 weeks statement (July 6) and for after the Q2 conference call, Aug 17. Once the Aug 10 open next Thursday depending on the price then might grab a few there too for right after the call though premiums are usually the worst then.

I think the problem the bulls may have with presenting this positively is that the obvious rejoinder is to ask, if this is a good thing now, why it wasn't a good thing three years ago. It may add to concerns about managerial competence in the company,

Leaving that aside, I think that it is probably a good thing for the company - not sure whether these costs were showing as cost of revenue or as SG&A but either way they are in desperate need of control.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: wipster and NicoV
I think the problem the bulls may have with presenting this positively is that the obvious rejoinder is to ask why, if this is a good thing now, why it wasn't a good thing three years ago. It may add to concerns about managerial competence in the company,

Leaving that aside, I think that it is probably a good thing for the company - not sure whether these costs were showing as cost of revenue or as SG&A but either way they are in desperate need of control.
This development may also incentivize the board to settle the Delaware (and related federal) lawsuits over SolarCity, thus enabling them to be more focussed.

I think the problem the bulls may have with presenting this positively is that the obvious rejoinder is to ask why, if this is a good thing now, why it wasn't a good thing three years ago. It may add to concerns about managerial competence in the company.

Tesla's business and products and moving very quickly, I think it's normal for them to react with different strategies for selling those products.

I think it's 2 weeks now...

Of course that's not in Elon time...

This never gets old :) Newton’s fourth law. Should be included in standard brokerage account disclosures: “TSLA investments involve additional risks, which include currency fluctuations, geopolitical risk, foreign taxes and regulations, and 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.