Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he didn't want to IPO Tesla either, but needed the cash.

Exactly.
And have you noticed how SpaceX presenters did advertise spacex.com/careers just after the successful launch?
This was a publicity stunt on different levels: SpaceX wants to attract talent and cultivate enthusiasm for the space exploration, so kids of today will be young engineers in 5-6 years from now.
They are planting a seed in young minds.

This is exactly what Musk was proposing years ago when he developed his first idea of the "money shot" (aka the flower on Mars).

Congrats on your 1k win. While you're being snarky aftermarket today, some of us are playing with real amounts of money in ways where short term moves do matter. Thank you for sharing though.
Whether or not the money is a “real amount” I would argue is tied to how much of a percentage it is to your total net worth. If $1k represents a 2% gain/loss of your net worth, is it then a “real amount”? The original post might have been snarky, but in the same way you discount a $1k move, others might discount your $10k or $50k move as child’s play. It’s all relative. I’m sure my total $ invested in TSLA is small compared to what many invest on here, but it’s equal to roughly 32% of my net annual income, so it’s quite material to me, as an example. :)

I thought he didn't want to IPO Tesla either, but needed the cash.

True but he was at "near death" like with SpaceX when finally the last rocket after the last rocket exploded made it. Now with the commercial success of SpaceX he will do whatever he can to avoid an IPO.

Given the competitive moat and commercial success of SpaceX he can easily collect money from non IPO investors if he needs some or just raise prices for the load. That enables him to follow a sustainable growth strategy without all the headache Tesla creates.

I investigates years ago opportunities to invest in SpaceX but its unfortunately impossible. Closed society.

But maybe if he needs in the future a few more billion on top of his billions to establish the first 1Mio citizen city on Mars he decides to do a late IPO with SpaceX. That would be very easy to collect cash.

True but he was at "near death" like with SpaceX when finally the last rocket after the last rocket exploded made it. Now with the commercial success of SpaceX he will do whatever he can to avoid an IPO.

Given the competitive moat and commercial success of SpaceX he can easily collect money from non IPO investors if he needs some or just raise prices for the load. That enables him to follow a sustainable growth strategy without all the headache Tesla creates.

I investigates years ago opportunities to invest in SpaceX but its unfortunately impossible. Closed society.

But maybe if he needs in the future a few more billion on top of his billions to establish the first 1Mio citizen city on Mars he decides to do a late IPO with SpaceX. That would be very easy to collect cash.

I think SpaceX will IPO once they'll be able to do multiple flights in a day. Once stream of revenues will be normalized.

Before launching humans they want to make sure the costs are low enough, thus they have to be able to do multiple flights in a day (launch, land, relaunch). Once it's done, they'll focus on building a Mars (and maybe Moon) base. That's when the IPO comes in, I think.

Whether or not the money is a “real amount” I would argue is tied to how much of a percentage it is to your total net worth. If $1k represents a 2% gain/loss of your net worth, is it then a “real amount”? The original post might have been snarky, but in the same way you discount a $1k move, others might discount your $10k or $50k move as child’s play. It’s all relative. I’m sure my total $ invested in TSLA is small compared to what many invest on here, but it’s equal to roughly 32% of my net annual income, so it’s quite material to me, as an example. :)

Your point is well taken. In practice I never discount anyone's wins or losses. ..... I was simply responding in kind. Mod: Direct insult to another member deleted. Not acceptable language. --ggr.

Edit: Adding quotes for context.

Intl, you're a much appreciated and very kind member of this forum. As such, I would never want to be rude to you.. however, we seem to be receiving a fair number of off topic posts for the market action thread during market hours. Given the bath many of us are taking presently, I would very much appreciate a relocation of such conversations.

A bath? I made more than $1k today, most of it from TSLA.​

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP was being a bit of a braggadocios dick

I wasn’t bragging on a $1k win. You were giving Intl Professor grief for his posts (which were off-topic, but I think he deserves some slack) while people were losing money, and I was pointing out that the stock actually came out ahead. Just a little ahead (thus the small $1k win), but ahead. And considering the $325 buying points that were available throughout the day, bulls could have (and presumably did) make a lot of money yesterday.

Reactions: EinSV
I wasn’t bragging on a $1k win. You were giving Intl Professor grief for his posts (which were off-topic, but I think he deserves some slack) while people were losing money, and I was pointing out that the stock actually came out ahead. Just a little ahead (thus the small $1k win), but ahead. And considering the $325 buying points that were available throughout the day, bulls could have (and presumably did) make a lot of money yesterday.

We will have to agree to disagree on the tenor and taste of your response. I strongly dislike watching others clutter this forum with bickering, so I will attempt to avoid following suit. While the day ended slightly in the green, my post to Intl was made during market hours. Today is a fantastic day for longs, however, yesterdays barely green close hardly made up for the massive losses many took the days prior. In any case this will be my last post regarding your comments or this topic. I hope you're doing well in your trades today.

Last edited:
I don’t usually try to play the market, just buy and hold, but this run-up to the report is tempting me to sell. The stock always seems to dip on the numbers before diving deeper into the message.

But I’ll probably still stay on the outside. I’m such a boring investor.

• Helpful
Reactions: Näky
I don’t usually try to play the market, just buy and hold, but this run-up to the report is tempting me to sell. The stock always seems to dip on the numbers before diving deeper into the message.

But I’ll probably still stay on the outside. I’m such a boring investor.

If you're tempted to sell but are likely to hold, you can also consider selling covered calls to take advantage of the massive earnings volatility. I sold a large number of 400 calls a few weeks back, however, while I am completely clueless how we will move after earnings.. I have a bit of fomo. So I purchased all of them back during our most recent dip.

I have no clue what the ideal path might be, as always NOT AN ADVICE. :)

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
We opened above the DMA 50 and DMA 200, and 10 points up from yesterday now.

Nice :)

Edit : On a SpaceX IPO, here is a link to the e-mail Elon send out to SpaceX employees in 2013. Makes a lot of sense.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Elon-Musk-make-Tesla-go-IPO-but-not-SpaceX
(Dit not want to include the full text here).

Bumping this, as I think the link is a good read. Good perspective, and the end note of how one exercises ones options etc... is a good thing to learn from (this is obviously for employees).

Bumping this, as I think the link is a good read. Good perspective, and the end note of how one exercises ones options etc... is a good thing to learn from (this is obviously for employees).

Great read. I totally get why Elon does not want to go public, but if employees are rewarded with stock of any kind, the company will need to go public at some point, or those employees stock is worthless as minority stock holders. This goes for big and small investors in SpaceX as well. I agree with Elon that they should wait as long as possible as it would be an overall negative because of pressure from the external things that have nothing to with SpaceX progressing their ultimate plan. Be delaying the IPO as long as possible, you also retain more people because they do not want to lose control of the value they have built, though this has its limits. I would personally sell all my TSLA and buy SPCX for sure, so maybe that is another reason not to do it. Or at least not until Tesla is able to handle that kind of selling. Because of that, it may actually be impossible as it would crush Tesla even people are just balancing what they own between the two. They might have to merge to even make it possible. How does that even work.. lol.. rabbit whole much?

Status
Not open for further replies.