Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @DylanSheaMusic

"Please consider this a commitment that I will fund fixing the water in any house in Flint that has water contamination above FDA levels. No kidding."

Elon Musk on Twitter

No one can fix all problems, some can't fix any. Better to solve some than none. Go Elon!

It's great of him to help the lead supply line replacement issue.

I say this only due to it being a more techie problem, and in no way a criticism. We need something to fix the PFAS problem in Oscoda and elsewhere along with Wolverine and Gelman plumes in Ann Arbor. Groundwater contamination is all over.

Back on the optimism side (and it may sound cynical, but I don't mean it that way. I really believe Elon wants to help), I wonder if this should feed the theory of a GF in Durand, MI...

• Love
Reactions: wipster and avoigt

"Please consider this a commitment that I will fund fixing the water in any house in Flint that has water contamination above FDA levels. No kidding."

Elon Musk on Twitter
And we already have Dana Hull tweeting a response to this. why do I have the feeling she is trying find an angle on this to spin it in a negative way?
upload_2018-7-11_23-15-28.png

Good to know. The question in my mind is whether Tesla will want to do substantial exporting. Honestly I have been underwhelmed with the size of this GF, just 500k. I would like China to be able to produce 1M and export half. Maybe that is still in the cards. We have not learned much about the opportunity to expand capacity beyond 500k at this new site. Or maybe someday China will host multiple GFs. Perhaps when the government realizes that this foreign-owned company can drive exports from Chinese workers and domestic supply chains, it will be more accommodating.

Agree totally. Unless Elon's on Mars by that time, it would seem a foreign export platform for non-polluting cars would be consistent with Tesla's business commitment to do something about sustainable energy use.

What I can't emphasize strongly enough is the power and sophistication of China's growing economic clout. As I said on the Late entry level M3 (out of general) thread, my sister-in-law teaches Chinese at her old high school in Mae Sai where one of the Wild Boars studies. Her education was subsidized by the Chinese Government, including two years of study in Beijing. Of course other countries have similar programs, but the impact of China is very heavily felt in that part of her country. (A small land investment by my wife has grown multiples of value in a short period of time.)

That doesn't mean some countries don't have ethnic prejudices or real worry of invasion. I was hosted by the Dean of a Vietnam business school during my trip to Hanoi. He was insistent in our last meeting to say "You must understand we have no resentment about the war. The United States is our best friend." I agreed without comment about China, but his intent was clear.

We need smarter diplomacy everywhere to take advantage of local bullies' mistakes. For a long time we were aided by local fears of the Japanese. Ho Chi Minh was very grateful for U.S. insurgency training and support in fighting Japanese occupation during World War II.

Last edited:
Journalist Elon Musk questioned over Tesla reporting speaks

I did not see this discussed but this just made me so angry. The panel they brought up to discuss this was completely one-sided and they took turns bashing Elon's response to Linette on twitter. Linette's response on the other hand was so bizarre. She did categorically deny that she did not pay Tripp in exchange for info and that she is not paid by Thanos, err... Chanos.

Very disingenuous the way they juxtapose Enron and Theranos with Tesla in this discussion.

I did not see this discussed but this just made me so angry. The panel they brought up to discuss this was completely one-sided and they took turns bashing Elon's response to Linette on twitter. Linette's response on the other hand was so bizarre. She did categorically deny that she did not pay Tripp in exchange for info and that she is not paid by Thanos, err... Chanos.

Very disingenuous the way they juxtapose Enron and Theranos with Tesla in this discussion.

Is he any relation to Judge Wapner? Just sayin'...

Would you please elaborate on the factual and tangible signs that you see to support "Tesla is mostly locked out of debt capital raising?"

Thank you in advance.
The only emotions I feel seeing posts like yours are boredom and annoyance. Do you have any idea how many posts just like yours we've seen over the years? New members telling us TSLA may be risky, we're blind kool-aid drinking fanbois, bull echo chamber, blah blah blah. You aren't original, you aren't helpful, and you don't know more about the company than we do. We don't need your advice or concern trolling. IF by some rare chance you actually had some piece of data which we didn't already know that would be useful, but anything short of that is simply noise.

Lol - it's actually posts like this I am referring to. Talk about self fulfilling prophecy. :( Your post is hilarious ironic given everything you accuse me of you did in that comment.

I have a $70k Model 3 on order (everything except the autonomous driving basically), my faith in Tesla to delivery is me putting my money where my mouth is, just like most of the others here. It's very unlikely I know as much about Tesla as a lot of people here, but U certainly know more than you're willing to gibe me credit for. We're an institutional investor (long) and I have access to our equity research.

Now I'm sorry I don't have time to read 5 years' worth of comments just to make sure I only post original and insightful information none of you have ever seen before. A quick scan of your last 30 posts or so tell me you haven't either. In fact the vast majority of your posts are snidey take-downs challenging people to provide 'evidence' for their opinions, when you yourself do nothing of the sort. Having said that, I can't possibly compete with a professional forum bully, so won't bother.

Here's the important part. Those of us who are genuinely worried about the health of Tesla, either because we're about to spend a lot of money on one of their cars, or because we have significant net worth invested in their company, have every right to question, probe, criticize or even outright doubt the information coming from Tesla. They're a public company who are legally obligated to protect their shareholders above everything else (that's what it means to be a PLC). They have the same obligation to do that as all companies, from Apple to Enron and everyone inbetween.

I'm here to be informed and learn as much as anyone, and offer my own view (isn't that what a forum is about)

Elon Musk on Twitter

This is a worthy cause. Applaud Elon for taking this on.

Hopefully this wins the hearts and minds of the folks in Michigan. Longer term, Michigan is going to be impacted by the decline in ICE, and it's reasonable that Tesla will significantly increase it's presence. Giving back to the community helps in smoothing that transition.

Short term, Michigan needs to open up to Tesla and more visibility certainly helps.

This is a worthy cause. Applaud Elon for taking this on.

Hopefully this wins the hearts and minds of the folks in Michigan. Longer term, Michigan is going to be impacted by the decline in ICE, and it's reasonable that Tesla will significantly increase it's presence. Giving back to the community helps in smoothing that transition.

Short term, Michigan needs to open up to Tesla and more visibility certainly helps.

You sir are a mind reader. I was in the process of writing a similar post, but your's was better. I agree completely. Plus it would really help with community support if they get another killer deal on a GM or Ford plant.

Reactions: generalenthu

Totally agree but I'm not sure the general public will see it the way we do.

Reactions: neroden and wipster

I'm cross posting this here from the general thread for discussion.

Wow. As nauseating as it was to sit through that interview, I think everyone should view it because of its potential influence on the market. That is some scathing criticism of Elon from a couple of interviewees besides Lopez. It wasn't just Lopez, but the respected author Bethany McLean of the Enron book as well as Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, the associate Dean of the Yale School of Management. Enron and Theranos were brought up in the discussion, as analogs to what is going on with Elon and Tesla. They brought up the comparison with John Carreyrou, the author of Bad Blood, the book about the journey of exposing Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos of fraud. He was ruthlessly attacked by Holmes while investigating Theranos. Bethany directly compared Elon to the angry belligerent behavior of the Enron crooks when they were being investigated. Sonnenfeld agreed with their characterization of Elon. He cites examples of CEOs under attack who came out and just corrected the facts without personally attacking others. He was extremely critical of Elon while being very supportive of Lopez.

They characterize Lopez as a reporter under attack for just trying to get the facts out, which obviously seems to ignore the tone of her articles. Many watching the interview wouldn't know what the tone of her articles is like though. Bethany says Elon's behavior is indication that Lopez is right and that she is on the right track. She commends Lopez for her courage.

Sonnenfeld then talks about "poor Jim Chanos" being in the middle of Enron and now Tesla. He says it's unfortunate that Elon so fundamentally misunderstands Jim Chanos, who is "a very honest smart guy." "For Musk to somehow say there is some trading taking place from Chanos on this information is ludicrious." (love that choice of word!) They all then agreed with how honest and open Jim Chanos is, and that he speaks openly with all of them frequently. Sonnenfeld indicates that he agrees with Lopez that investors should be worried, and that Elon is holding Tesla's board of directors hostage, while making $2.5 billion this year. Sonnenfeld referred to Lopez as a "brilliant" reporter.

I have to say, if you don't know a lot about Tesla and Elon, this kind of stuff could easily create a lot of concern for investors. This SEC whistleblower situation is making me a little concerned about the shorter term. I sure hope that Elon is squeaky clean and hasn't knowingly exaggerated some things that could be interpreted as an intent to influence investors. I imagine that wouldn't go over well. It's one thing to be eternally optimistic about ramps and future timelines, but it's another thing to knowingly indicate something different than what is occurring in an effort to bring an embattled company through a really tough stretch. I wish I could say that I am 100% confident he has not exaggerated some numbers over this tough model 3 ramp.

Last edited:

hahhah. WOW!
well...it starts, like i said yesterday...
that said, we’re in for a sh!tstorm of epic proportions coming up from the usual enemies.

CNBC isn’t even trying to hide the fact that this is a Chanos hit piece. Lopez, McClean (chanos’ enron mouthpiece - research articles from enron meltdown or watch documentary “Enron, the smartest guys in the room”.). and the professor from Yale haha Chanos is a Yale grad. sure there’s no connection there.

scott wapner; if you listen closely EVERY single time he talks about tesla, he freudian slips a falsehood in there. in the beginning of the video he said musk said that lopez paid trip

then they show the tweet, musk ASKED if!!!

listeners hear wapner buy they prob don’t read the tweet bc they’re looking at lopez’s humongous dumb mug. that’s misinformation.

this is laughable at best. i personally am done with cnbc. i am fuming p!ssed. the fast money crew really isn’t that bad, theyve been fair. but the rest of them are jokes. their advertising is a bunch of cheese ball ads...like hollywood reporter over there.

this is now a next level crock of shiiittteee

nobody can sit here and deny.

those that do,
give them the chance to read not only jesses post but also the divide excerpt (which is derived from court discovery documents).

it is on. now it should be crystal clear to everyone why elon must be direct to consumer on content as well as cars. to be continued.

I'm cross posting this here from the general thread for discussion.

Wow. As nauseating as it was to sit through that interview, I think everyone should view it because of its potential influence on the market. That is some scathing criticism of Elon from a couple of interviewees besides Lopez. It wasn't just Lopez, but the respected author Bethany McLean of the Enron book as well as Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, the associate Dean of the Yale School of Management. Enron and Theranos were brought up in the discussion, as analogs to what is going on with Elon and Tesla. They brought up the comparison with John Carreyrou, the author of Bad Blood, the book about the journey of exposing Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos of fraud. He was ruthlessly attacked by Holmes while investigating Theranos. Bethany directly compared Elon to the angry belligerent behavior of the Enron crooks when they were being investigated. Sonnenfeld agreed with their characterization of Elon. He cites examples of CEOs under attack who came out and just corrected the facts without personally attacking others. He was extremely critical of Elon while being very supportive of Lopez.

They characterize Lopez as a reporter under attack for just trying to get the facts out, which obviously seems to ignore the tone of her articles. Many watching the interview wouldn't know what the tone of her articles is like though. Bethany says Elon's behavior is indication that Lopez is right and that she is on the right track. She commends Lopez for her courage.

Sonnenfeld then talks about "poor Jim Chanos" being in the middle of Enron and now Tesla. He says it's unfortunate that Elon so fundamentally misunderstands Jim Chanos, who is "a very honest smart guy." "For Musk to somehow say there is some trading taking place from Chanos on this information is ludicrious." (love that choice of word!) They all then agreed with how honest and open Jim Chanos is, and that he speaks openly with all of them frequently. Sonnenfeld indicates that he agrees with Lopez that investors should be worried, and that Elon is holding Tesla's board of directors hostage, while making $2.5 billion this year. Sonnenfeld referred to Lopez as a "brilliant" reporter.

I have to say, if you don't know a lot about Tesla and Elon, this kind of stuff could easily create a lot of concern for investors. This SEC whistleblower situation is making me a little concerned about the shorter term. I sure hope that Elon is squeaky clean and hasn't knowingly exaggerated some things that could be interpreted as an intent to influence investors. I imagine that wouldn't go over well. It's one thing to be eternally optimistic about ramps and future timelines, but it's another thing to knowingly indicate something different than what is occurring in an effort to bring an embattled company through a really tough stretch. I wish I could say that I am 100% confident he has not exaggerated some numbers over this tough model 3 ramp.

I can’t sit through the whole thing right now, but it’s interesting that nobody questioned Lopez about the brake-and-roll test, considering that that’s what really started the latest thing. From everything we’ve discovered since that was first reported, it’s a short cut test so companies don’t have to test the cars on a track, which Tesla stopped performing because.... they were testing the cars on a track. And yet, again, we hear how it’s a vital test that Tesla is no longer performing, leading to unsafe cars. All presented without any correction or comment.

Lol - it's actually posts like this I am referring to. Talk about self fulfilling prophecy. :( Your post is hilarious ironic given everything you accuse me of you did in that comment.

I have a $70k Model 3 on order (everything except the autonomous driving basically), my faith in Tesla to delivery is me putting my money where my mouth is, just like most of the others here. It's very unlikely I know as much about Tesla as a lot of people here, but U certainly know more than you're willing to gibe me credit for. We're an institutional investor (long) and I have access to our equity research.

Now I'm sorry I don't have time to read 5 years' worth of comments just to make sure I only post original and insightful information none of you have ever seen before. A quick scan of your last 30 posts or so tell me you haven't either. In fact the vast majority of your posts are snidey take-downs challenging people to provide 'evidence' for their opinions, when you yourself do nothing of the sort. Having said that, I can't possibly compete with a professional forum bully, so won't bother.

Here's the important part. Those of us who are genuinely worried about the health of Tesla, either because we're about to spend a lot of money on one of their cars, or because we have significant net worth invested in their company, have every right to question, probe, criticize or even outright doubt the information coming from Tesla. They're a public company who are legally obligated to protect their shareholders above everything else (that's what it means to be a PLC). They have the same obligation to do that as all companies, from Apple to Enron and everyone inbetween.

I'm here to be informed and learn as much as anyone, and offer my own view (isn't that what a forum is about)
i’m starting to think you’re another reality too

Reactions: Lessmog
I'm not really psychologically equipped to wade into the nest of FUD on Twitter, but please feel free to borrow any of my phraseology for the purposes of countering FUD. I won't sue for plagarism. :)

It is a cespool. I don't blame you. I believe you once tried because I saw your Twitter account had a few tweets. I will definitely steel some stuff from and look way smarter than I really am.

I can’t sit through the whole thing right now, but it’s interesting that nobody questioned Lopez about the brake-and-roll test, considering that that’s what really started the latest thing. From everything we’ve discovered since that was first reported, it’s a short cut test so companies don’t have to test the cars on a track, which Tesla stopped performing because.... they were testing the cars on a track. And yet, again, we hear how it’s a vital test that Tesla is no longer performing, leading to unsafe cars. All presented without any correction or comment.

because it was a well designed hit piece with psychological tricks and never an intention of questioning the validity of he original reporting.
#boycottCNBC

start it on twitter now. i have 0 followers and only follow elon

@ValueAnalyst @Reciprocity

Take this from someone that has been reading and posting on this forum slightly more then the last 5 years. I've read quite a bit more than JRPs last 30 posts and they DO bring new information. When you've only been here less than a month it might actually be a good idea to read a bit more before you come out crapping on people that seem to be wiser than you. Your last sentence seems to say something about learning and in my experience that is done best when you are not attacking others.

Cobos

because it was a well designed hit piece with psychological tricks and never an intention of questioning the validity of he original reporting.
#boycottCNBC

start it on twitter now. i have 0 followers and only follow elon

@ValueAnalyst @Reciprocity

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

not kidding and not sure if i’m allowed to say this here...and elon surely can’t be the one to spread it.
but if our twitter experts get the #boycottCNBC out there to elon’s 22mm followers and cnbc sees a downtick in web/tv traffic they’ll get objective pretty damn quick.

@Reciprocity @ValueAnalyst @LordAstinus

12 minute smear campaign by a panel of chanos cronies. how much did that cost?

Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, the associate Dean of the Yale School of Management.

[...snip...]

Sonnenfeld then talks about "poor Jim Chanos" being in the middle of Enron and now Tesla. He says it's unfortunate that Elon so fundamentally misunderstands Jim Chanos, who is "a very honest smart guy." "For Musk to somehow say there is some trading taking place from Chanos on this information is ludicrious." (love that choice of word!) They all then agreed with how honest and open Jim Chanos is, and that he speaks openly with all of them.

Did Sonnenfeld disclose his conflict of interest?

James Chanos

Status
Not open for further replies.