Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends how you define "well progressing ramp up". They could still be at 1k/wk and run out of current owners just as well, but I wouldn't call it "well progressing ramp up".
Until we have proof of deliveries we simply cannot know about “ramp up” much less “well progressing..” can we?
I hope we are on the way to more versions, RHD etc but I am trying to be patient. That is not easy, especially for people who, like me, value instant gratification.:eek:

in about 8 days, insideevs will update their tables. I expect the M3 numbers to be less than 4k for feb. I expect them to deliver 10k M3s in Q1 and report 1.8k/wk at the end of Q1... then reaffirm guidance of 5k/wk for Q2... then miss that too.
10k delivered is possible, with 12k produced. It’s been speculated before. We are at the minimum at 8.5k produced, and VIN above 9k will start to appear by next week.

In case you have not seen it, the annual 10-K report was sent out this morning. I have not really read it yet.

Tesla - Annual Report

Picking through the risks list...

We are highly dependent on the services of Elon Musk, our Chief Executive Officer.

We are highly dependent on the services of Elon Musk, our Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of our Board of Directors and largest stockholder. Although Mr. Musk spends significant time with Tesla and is highly active in our management, he does not devote his full time and attention to Tesla. Mr. Musk also currently serves as Chief Executive Officer and Chief Technical Officer of Space Exploration Technologies, a developer and manufacturer of space launch vehicles, and is involved in other emerging technology ventures.

On February 8, 2018, we filed a proxy statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission pursuant to which we are seeking stockholder approval of the grant in January 2018 of a 10-year performance-based stock option award for Mr. Musk, which will be forfeited if not so approved (the “CEO Performance Award”). Mr. Musk currently has no other compensation at Tesla, other than a prior performance-based stock option award granted to Mr. Musk in 2012, which has vested as to 9 out of 10 tranches, and a state-mandated minimum wage salary that he has never accepted. There is no assurance that the CEO Performance Award will receive stockholder approval.​

Then, very relevant to us lot:

Risks Related to the Ownership of Our Common Stock

The trading price of our common stock is likely to continue to be volatile.

The trading price of our common stock has been highly volatile and could continue to be subject to wide fluctuations in response to various factors, some of which are beyond our control. Our common stock has experienced an intra-day trading high of $389.61 per share and a low of $242.01 per share over the last 52 weeks. The stock market in general, and the market for technology companies in particular, has experienced extreme price and volume fluctuations that have often been unrelated or disproportionate to the operating performance of those companies. Broad market and industry factors may seriously affect the market price of companies’ stock, including ours, regardless of actual operating performance. In addition, in the past, following periods of volatility in the overall market and the market price of a particular company’s securities, securities class action litigation has often been instituted against these companies. Moreover, stockholder litigation like this has been filed against us in the past. While we are continuing to defend such actions vigorously, any judgment against us or any future stockholder litigation could result in substantial costs and a diversion of our management’s attention and resources.

We may fail to meet our publicly announced guidance or other expectations about our business, which could cause our stock price to decline.

We provide guidance regarding our expected financial and business performance, such as projections regarding sales and production, as well as anticipated future revenues, gross margins, profitability and cash flows. Correctly identifying key factors affecting business conditions and predicting future events is inherently an uncertain process and our guidance may not ultimately be accurate. Our guidance is based on certain assumptions such as those relating to anticipated production and sales volumes and average sales prices, supplier and commodity costs, and planned cost reductions. If our guidance is not accurate or varies from actual results due to our inability to meet our assumptions or the impact on our financial performance that could occur as a result of various risks and uncertainties, the market value of our common stock could decline significantly.

Transactions relating to our convertible notes may dilute the ownership interest of existing stockholders, or may otherwise depress the price of our common stock.

The conversion of some or all of the Tesla Convertible Notes or the Subsidiary Convertible Notes would dilute the ownership interests of existing stockholders to the extent we deliver shares upon conversion of any of such notes. Our 1.50% Convertible Senior Notes due 2018 and the Subsidiary Convertible Notes have been historically, and the other Tesla Convertible Notes may become in the future, convertible at the option of their holders prior to their scheduled terms under certain circumstances. If holders elect to convert their convertible notes, we could be required to deliver to them a significant number of shares of our common stock. Any sales in the public market of the common stock issuable upon such conversion could adversely affect prevailing market prices of our common stock. In addition, the existence of the convertible notes may encourage short selling by market participants because the conversion of such notes could be used to satisfy short positions, or anticipated conversion of such notes into shares of our common stock could depress the price of our common stock.

Moreover, in connection with each issuance of the Tesla Convertible Notes, we entered into convertible note hedge transactions, which are expected to reduce the potential dilution and/or offset potential cash payments we are required to make in excess of the principal amount upon conversion of the applicable Tesla Convertible Notes. We also entered into warrant transactions with the hedge counterparties, which could separately have a dilutive effect on our common stock to the extent that the market price per share of our common stock exceeds the applicable strike price of the warrants on the applicable expiration dates. In addition, the hedge counterparties or their affiliates may enter into various transactions with respect to their hedge positions, which could also cause or prevent an increase or a decrease in the market price of our common stock or the convertible notes.

Elon Musk has pledged shares of our common stock to secure certain bank borrowings. If Mr. Musk were forced to sell these shares pursuant to a margin call that he could not avoid or satisfy, such sales could cause our stock price to decline.

Certain banking institutions have made extensions of credit to Elon Musk, our Chief Executive Officer, a portion of which was used to purchase shares of common stock in certain of our public offerings and private placements at the same prices offered to third party participants in such offerings and placements. We are not a party to these loans, which are partially secured by pledges of a portion of the Tesla common stock currently owned by

Mr. Musk. If the price of our common stock were to decline substantially and Mr. Musk were unable to avoid or satisfy a margin call with respect to his pledged shares, Mr. Musk may be forced by one or more of the banking institutions to sell shares of Tesla common stock in order to remain within the margin limitations imposed under the terms of his loans. Any such sales could cause the price of our common stock to decline further.

Anti-takeover provisions contained in our governing documents, applicable laws and our convertible notes could impair a takeover attempt.

Our certificate of incorporation and bylaws afford certain rights and powers to our board of directors that could contribute to the delay or prevention of an acquisition that it deems undesirable. We are also subject to Section 203 of the Delaware General Corporation Law and other provisions of Delaware law that limit the ability of stockholders in certain situations to effect certain business combinations. In addition, the terms of our convertible notes require us to repurchase such notes in the event of a fundamental change, including a takeover of our company. Any of the foregoing provisions and terms that has the effect of delaying or deterring a change in control could limit the opportunity for our stockholders to receive a premium for their shares of our common stock, and could also affect the price that some investors are willing to pay for our common stock.​

It's option expiry day today, and the price seems to be stuck around $352.50, which is an option strike. So I checked the max pain but that's $10 lower. Still, sometimes on monthly expiry days the price acts like it's quantized, moving in units of $2.50. I'm interested to see how it behaves later.

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper
Do you have nerves of steel and ice running through your veins. Usually a nickname like Iceman means that you aren't scared of risk.

Ahhh...

I should have picked that up. But the name has less interesting reason behind it. I´m from Iceland and I went to college in USA. Nobody could come close to say my name so people opted to ``Iceman`` for obvious reason. Now when I had to pick a name on a USA-dominated forum I just picked that old damn name your fellow countrymen gave me.

But srsly....... drop it on 353? :)

Ahhh...

I should have picked that up. But the name has less interesting reason behind it. I´m from Iceland and I went to college in USA. Nobody could come close to say my name so people opted to ``Iceman`` for obvious reason. Now when I had to pick a name on a USA-dominated forum I just picked that old damn name your fellow countrymen gave me.

But srsly....... drop it on 353? :)
No one can predict where this stock will go in the next month. What will you regret more? If you sell and the stock continues to go up? Or if you don't and it goes down? Why are you selling? Maybe consider selling a smaller chunk, like 1/4 or 1/3.

We will likely have small share dilution from convertible notes due 3/1/18. From a quick google search, found this 5/15/2013 600M note offering prospectus.
I am certainly not an expert but can anyone opine as to any significant impact to TSLA?

Tesla - Prospectus Filed Pursuant to Rule 424

1,646,377 shares should enter the market, ~1% dilution: TLSA Outstanding Convertible Payoff Table

I'm guessing this will add some short term selling pressure, but how much this affects the stock price depends on the appetite of buyers at that time, plus many other factors:
How much is this is already priced into the share price?
Will short sellers use these extra shares in search of buyers as an opportunity to further depress the stock price?
What is max pain? and is volume low enough to allow market makers to peg the price there?
???

• Informative
Reactions: sunhelm
Status
Not open for further replies.