Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we’re quietly headed to $400 before the end of Q2. The writing is on the wall and the media is beginning to turn. Now that production is headed in the right direction institutional investors will go in bigger.

The good news is there’s actually very little shares outstanding, ehich means the shares are really going to start going up by leaps and bounds. I’m not selling anymore and only adding when macro news causes a dip in the market in general.

I’ve owned the stock since 2012 and have added often (608 shares presently) and our time is coming.

Feeling good!
FWIW despite having essentially no dry powder, I scooped up 200 more shares in the 250s and funded it by selling a few Jan 2019 puts at the same time (thanks to highly elevated IV). We may get another buying opportunity like this... but we may not. This reminds me of the "February Freakout" of 2016.

FWIW despite having essentially no dry powder, I scooped up 200 more shares in the 250s and funded it by selling a few Jan 2019 puts at the same time (thanks to highly elevated IV). We may get another buying opportunity like this... but we may not. This reminds me of the "February Freakout" of 2016.
Was thinking the same last week. I had plenty of dry powder since I started "stop-lossing" around 330. I was getting emails every day of another chunk of shares sold.
Perhaps this exposes me to being a "weak long" but it's the way I've always protected my capital when I can't babysit 5 days a week.
Usually I wait out the bottom until it's clearly on the rebound and buy back slowly. But this one seemed too much like 2016 so I bought it all back and then some from 249-260. By the time the price was up to $285 my account was worth more than when price was $325.
Rather be lucky than pretty.

RMD? Do you mean IRA required minimum distribution? Did you know that to satisfy an RMD, you can simply take the shares out of the IRA without selling them? (You do have to have money to pay *taxes* on the RMD though, which might require selling some)

Yes, you are correct with the traditional IRA, but a beneficiary IRA is different:-( I must sell the shares and transfer cash. If I transfer shares, they do not count as the minimum distribution. I can sell, transfer to another account, and buy within a short turn-a-round ~ plus pay taxes. Lastly, I promised my wife a vacation/cruise courtesy of our 7.5K Model X income tax incentive which might cover the first week of four. Since I failed to take the family on a cruise returning from Europe (retired from the army) back in 1994, well I owe her that much:) Truth be told, I probably owe her way more than money can patch over for raising our kids without me:)

Oh, we used money starting last year to dump into a joint account with unused monies (Tesla).

By the way, good to have you back ~ I have missed your contribution ~ hopefully it is not a case of my failure to pay attention.

Yes, you are correct with the traditional IRA, but a beneficiary IRA is different:-( I must sell the shares and transfer cash. If I transfer shares, they do not count as the minimum distribution.
That can't possibly be right. I've looked up the rules more than once. I know that withdrawals of property are just as good as withdrawals of cash from the point of view of the IRS. (Provided the property is liquid and has a clearly established value on the withdrawal date, which is the case with TSLA.)

Maybe it's a restriction set by your IRA custodian?

I can sell, transfer to another account, and buy within a short turn-a-round ~ plus pay taxes.
Well, you have to pay taxes in any case.

Lastly, I promised my wife a vacation/cruise courtesy of our 7.5K Model X income tax incentive which might cover the first week of four. Since I failed to take the family on a cruise returning from Europe (retired from the army) back in 1994, well I owe her that much:) Truth be told, I probably owe her way more than money can patch over for raising our kids without me:)
Well, if you're going to *spend* it, that's another matter. :)

Oh, we used money starting last year to dump into a joint account with unused monies (Tesla).

By the way, good to have you back ~ I have missed your contribution ~ hopefully it is not a case of my failure to pay attention.
No, I was sick and overwhelmed.

HELLO....

We have just made our first additions to TSLA since (read on) -

Bought in at $247.77 net, picking up a fair chunk in that we added to our positions by 16%.

The last time we added any Tesla was Sept 16, 2016, when we increased holdings by about 30% with that once-in-a-lifetime "free" arbitrage: buying SCTY at under $17 to give us TSLA at $155 - at a time the stock was about $250.
You have more pricing discipline than I do. I'm afraid I bought some at higher prices, and have effectively run out of cash so I was only able to increase my holdings by 2% during the dip.

I think we’re quietly headed to $400 before the end of Q2. The writing is on the wall and the media is beginning to turn. Now that production is headed in the right direction institutional investors will go in bigger.

The good news is there’s actually very little shares outstanding, ehich means the shares are really going to start going up by leaps and bounds. I’m not selling anymore and only adding when macro news causes a dip in the market in general.

I’ve owned the stock since 2012 and have added often (608 shares presently) and our time is coming.

Feeling good!

I have the feeling that the amount of shares available for trading is going down on each of these big dips because the true believers keep adding to their position. As the stock goes up again, lack of investors willing to sell must be like adding rocket fuel to a short covering fire.

Indicators: over the last few weeks the number of people here that claimed to add to their position seemed much higher than the number of people giving up and selling.

I have the feeling that the amount of shares available for trading is going down on each of these big dips because the true believers keep adding to their position. As the stock goes up again, lack of investors willing to sell must be like adding rocket fuel to a short covering fire.

Indicators: over the last few weeks the number of people here that claimed to add to their position seemed much higher than the number of people giving up and selling.

I believe you are right about this, I added, could not resist the bargain.

Another factor may be the new believers.
My sister, my kids and a good friend have all bought TSLA shares after a drive in my MS. These are buy and hold people too so these shares will not come back on the market anytime soon.
My son and friend have also ordered a m3. My sister just took delivery of a MS. The power of the product.

MQYx3

Possible arrival of Grohmann line on March 7th (in Oakland) :

Possible arrival of Grohmann line on March 7th (in Oakland) • r/teslamotors

I did the same thing....sell at 360 and I think it hit 359.99!! So annoying. I would have made a profit and rebought in at crazy prices....but it’s ok. It’ll get back above that.
When selling options or stock will always price my limits 5 cents under the dollar. Shouldn’t matter to your bottom line but you would be surprised how often the sales go through that would have missed

Disclaimer: This is friendly hassling from the local pedantic opotomist, nothing personal:

Since March 20, Model 3 VINs have added up to 14,446, or 850 per day, which would equate to 5,950 weekly rate.
Is an example of a fact/ raw data with some interpretation.

Tesla is unlikely to get to 5,000 until May at the earliest, if there are no other major bottlenecks, which is a big if...
Is an example of an assumption

so what's happening?
Conflation? Confirmation bias? Non-causal correlation? Programming error? Some other C based alliteration?
;):D

Reactions: dhrivnak
Status
Not open for further replies.