Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good example of how margin is useful: I don’t like to stay in margin permanently but used up my dry powder on the way down between 305-325. The gift of 250-275 was too generous so I bought a lot (shares and J20 LEAPS, about half around 255) and am now more in margin than ever before.

With the climb back to $304 as I type, my account is now worth the same as it was on the way down when the share price was at $320ish.

Without margin I could not achieve this great dollar cost averaging down. I plan to slowly reduce margin and get completely off it over the next month or so as (hopefully) the share price rises.

A good example of how margin is useful: I don’t like to stay in margin permanently but used up my dry powder on the way down between 305-325. The gift of 250-275 was too generous so I bought a lot (shares and J20 LEAPS, about half around 255) and am now more in margin than ever before.

With the climb back to $304 as I type, my account is now worth the same as it was on the way down when the share price was at $320ish.

Without margin I could not achieve this great dollar cost averaging down. I plan to slowly reduce margin and get completely off it over the next month or so as (hopefully) the share price rises.
Mine is now actually above where it was at $320 using calls but no margin. I moved out of shares to J19 LEAPs, and then as we fell further, I went shorter term with April/June/Sep calls based upon TSLA's extremely strong history of rebounding quickly. What a difference a few days can make with TSLA!

The Saudi visit could be interesting. I hope it's something on the strategic level, such as solar and battery factories, or investment into Tesla. One thing I know for sure it won't be: sales pitch for Aramco IPO

Exactly, this new prince is shaking stuff up. I am sure he is smarter then the average prince. He seems to be a reformer and wants to bring his barbaric country into the future quickly. The are lagging places like Dubai. I know they are building some huge solar arrays there, but I dont know what they are doing for batteries, which would certainly be very useful with some huge arrays.

I could see all the above that you mentioned including the Saudi's wanting to diversify away from oil towards the thing that will replace it.

Exactly, this new prince is shaking stuff up. I am sure he is smarter then the average prince. He seems to be a reformer and wants to bring his barbaric country into the future quickly. The are lagging places like Dubai. I know they are building some huge solar arrays there, but I dont know what they are doing for batteries, which would certainly be very useful with some huge arrays.

I could see all the above that you mentioned including the Saudi's wanting to diversify away from oil towards the thing that will replace it.
The Saudis are much more financially sophisticated than they used to be. If they decided to invest in an EV manufacturer, why wouldn't they follow Warren Buffett's example and invest in a company with profits, positive operating cashflow and reasonable leverage?

The Saudis are much more financially sophisticated than they used to be. If they decided to invest in an EV manufacturer, why wouldn't they follow Warren Buffett's example and invest in a company with profits, positive operating cashflow and reasonable leverage?

So they are going to wait 3 months (definitely 6) to work with Tesla?

Because they have a vision of which EV company will have profits, positive operating cashflow and reasonable leverage in 10 years

I got so lucky. Yesterday morning, with futures dropping off a cliff, and Tesla down in pre-Market, I talked to my wife about selling all my Tesla stock, waiting for the stock to bottom more, and then buying back in when things improved. I didn't sell, and now we have gone up 50 points in two days. I would have been crying like a baby if I had missed out on these profits after losing so much money during the previous two weeks. Note to future self: Only add on drops, never sell!

Must have got the memo about how Tesla batteries are doing wonderful things in Aus.

Because they want to invest in the Apple of EVs and not the BYD of EVs. You have seen a Tesla before right? Not to mention that Buffet doesnt invest in any Solar or Battery companies that I know of. So maybe they want to be sophisticated like Elon and not Warren.

Reactions: sundaymorning
I got so lucky. Yesterday morning, with futures dropping off a cliff, and Tesla down in pre-Market, I talked to my wife about selling all my Tesla stock, waiting for the stock to bottom more, and then buying back in when things improved. I didn't sell, and now we have gone up 50 points in two days. I would have been crying like a baby if I had missed out on these profits after losing so much money during the previous two weeks. Note to future self: Only add on drops, never sell!
You didn't understand put margin requirements and almost sold after a huge dip?
With all due respect, and I apologize, no slight meant, I was struggling to phrase it nicer (English is my second language), but this is best I could came with up:
I feel you should examine if risk levels of your investments and your financial sophistication are aligned with each other.

Is that even still happening?
Yes. The Saudi IPO is still planned for later this year.

They want to diversify out of oil. They know what's happening. They first gave a small amount (I believe close to $100B) to Masayoshi Son to invest in Tech companies. Son did very well with it.

This trip is mainly to establish connections with people. I doubt they will announce any business deals.

Reactions: sundaymorning
Status
Not open for further replies.