Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
over the past couple of years, it has crossed my mind that this,

Historical Cobalt Prices and Price Chart

might be a move within a “bigger game” to try to slow down Tesla and its mission.

of course, Elon, JB, et al, have turned that massive spike in cobalt prices into a Tesla advantage with far lower cobalt content than typical EVs and a plan to eliminate cobalt entirely from their battery chemistry.

Yeah, thats why I didint include Cobalt. Lithium is available almost everywhere, its the quality or better the easy of processing thats important for costs. That tech will all improve as well, so more sources will be viable at a stable price. Nickel is also widely available but was not always valuable enough to get at, that certainly changes with higher demand. But again, I think super rich people didnt get that way by spending a lot of money when they can buy a few reporters and a handful of fudsters to spin lies. Their hubris will be their downfall.

He was talking about two shifts with 12 hours. Three shifts at 8 hours each are done in some plants in the automotive industry. But usually the night shifts have lower output because cleaning, maintenance re-tooling and such take quite a bit of time. The only realworld data i found is quite old (~15-20 years), but automotive plants maxed out at 6000 operating hours per year back then. (page 29)

https://www.iat.eu/aktuell/veroeff/am/lehndorff00de.pdf

The average operating time per day with 6000 hours a year would be around 16.5 hours a day. Of course that's just an example and a rough guess, but it seems to indicate that it's either not possible or simply to expensive to run a plant much more than that. Otherwise they'd probably all do it, since it would allow to spread fixed costs about a bigger number of cars.

Now times that by two lines for the Model 3?:)

• Funny
Reactions: YasB
That's an extremely dangerous thing to bet against. You've presumably already read the reports about how much the estimated build cost should be from those that have torn it down. Questioning overall demand seems quite foolish to me given the high customer deposits, brand loyalty, etc. You cannot argue once more of them are on the road, interest from other potential buyers will obviously increase, too. Cars advertise themselves.

I stand by my belief that the only argument shorts _might_ have is valuation, or the hope something drastic happens (model 3 having mass recalls or something). Also a risky bet.

As far as valuation is concerned, in this market, likely your only hope there is essentially for a market crash. That is certainly possible, but probably not until 2019 or 2020. Until then, there is quite a large risk to you for a major run-up in the stock price. The evidence now overwhelmingly suggest that ~ $250 was the bottom. You are playing a silly game right now.

If you get lucky and see ~ $320 again in the near future, I'd certainly cut your losses and get out then.
He won’t though.

Reactions: neroden
Could not sleep, so thought I would share the premarket TSLA price up by $5.56, okay $5.62 ~ gotta stop so maybe I can go back to sleep.

Please put your socks on with suspenders because I am leaning forward in the foxhole believing the 2Q18 numbers will be “outstanding.” Please Elon, please show me the numbers all in a row and green:) I would love to see “shorts” lose their socks:) I could use an extra pair or two, found a hole in one the other day and I do not play golf.

Okay folks, this will not be a cake walk day ~ so fight like. . .

The end game is when we find out whether there is sufficient demand for M3 at a price level which will enable Tesla to be sustainably profitable.

I really hope that shorts are hanging their hats on this demand notion. The more shorts, the better IMHO. Here are the facts for you that should scare shorts, but they are not so smart:

1) It is all but illegal for Tesla to sell in several states in the US. At some point this will end.
2) Tax incentives are nice, but Tesla does not need them. 3 simple moves could allow Tesla to negate any tax credit losses. a. 2170 cells at 35% less expensive. b) Refresh of S/X to bring in simplified Model 3 automation. 1 Screen, HUD and A/C system from Model 3 while improving, moving up market the S/X interior. c) Killing S/X 75D at low margins and replace with S/X 120D based on 2170. 75D replaced by 3/Y LRD at MUCH higher margins and value. All of these things would allow Tesla to drop the price while further differentiating S/X from 3/Y giving more Value for roughly $5k less sticker price and higher margins due to higher ASP product mix of 100D+
3) Tesla has 90% rate of return, which means that people who bought Tesla 3-5 years ago are returning at a 90% rate. This number continues to grow ever as fast as Tesla grew sales, about 70% a year. Tesla only just hit 100k/Y S+X, this means that Tesla has at least another 30% headroom for existing customers alone. More demand than they can make cars.
4) Tesla still has 450K reservations, even after fulfilling 20,000 orders. Tesla cannot fulfill the demand that is there faster than they can get new orders.
5) Macro. Trump is crazy, no debating, but he is just crazy enough to get Tariffs dropped on US cars imported to China and Europe. For every $5-10k in price drop, the size of the market doubles. That means China is a $4B market just for S/X and $20B market for 3/Y. There is a good chance that Tesla could sell 100,000 S/X outside the US alone. now they just need to figure out how to make more.
6) Fed Tax credits are going away, but states are adding incentives. Recently NY.
7) Lack of legitimate Competition. Ipace is nice, but very expensive and small. All these 2020 Tesla killers are on par with the 2013 S60D in terms of range and battery tech. There is no serious battery supply yet for all the 2020 Tesla killers and Jag will only make 20k Ipace because its not profitable and they have no battery supply. This means Tesla will soak up all that demand for another decade as the surviving OEMs play catch up.
8) Tesla has one of the most valuable brands on the planet. In China, they love Tesla. Maybe more than we do here in America.

I could do 100 more reasons, but this should just about do it.

If all shorts were to quit Tesla, this would shrink the supply of shares by about a quarter. This would maybe boost share price by 20 to 30 percent. Even if that price were sustained, it is merely on order with how much share price appreciation we'd like to see every year for the next 10 years or more.

You underestimate the power of sustained buying. During the first quarter of 2017, Tencent bought 5% of Tesla. In the run-up before and after, Tesla's share price increased about 50%.

Overall, I agree with you that on a 10-year time horizon, even a monumental short squeeze should have no impact on our thinking, leaving aside the possibility that Tesla could take some funding from the market on advantageous terms.

But with the Tencent investment, nobody had any advance notice to front-run them. With short sellers, we know what they are doing at least once every half-month and we will hear their wails 24-7. Meanwhile, Tesla into the S&P 500 will create additional buying pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.