Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost definitely just coincidence, but I find it interesting that this report cites increased Model 3 "demand" as the reason for the coming production increase since "demand" is what the shorts are now hyperventilating about.

Of course, for Panasonic, "demand" is what Tesla needs, but Tesla isn't going to demand more batteries if it doesn't have consumer demand for 5,000+ a week. Naturally, lifelong TSLA shorts will still find a way to spin this as a "sky is falling" news item.

Demand might also be stemming from Powerwall.

Assuming Panasonic is already producing enough for 5k/week on 10 lines (500/week per line), and they add 3 more lines at 30% (3x 650) more cap per each, then they'd be coming up just short of 7000k/week rate by end of 2018. Sounds like not enough cell production to me ... especially if Tesla expect to hit sustained 6k in August, 7k by end of 2018 would be a disappointment.
What if they're already at 6k/wk? We don't know where exactly they are on production currently.

If they are currently at 6k/wk, increasing the production by 30% and then phasing in the SR (dropping the average from around 80 kWh to around 70 kWh per vehicle), would allow the production of 6k x 1.3 x 8/7 = 8900 Model 3 per week.

I'm not saying the above is the case, but we don't know enough about where they currently are to say whether a 30% increase is too little. One thing I'm sure of is that current production is not exactly 4416 x 5000 = 22,080,000 cells per week. It's either above that or below that, and my guess is above.

Anyone a native speaker to go to the source? It maken a big difference if Panasonic is already at 35GWh/Year and this is on top of that. Or that Tesla is at 5000/week and now Panasonic needs to catch up.
They're definitely not at 35 GWh/year currently. In my estimation they're at 19-25 GWh/year for Model 3 (5-6k/wk) and 1-2 GWh/year for TE. So 20-27 GWh/year currently.

If they were to be at 35 GWh/year currently, TE would need to be delivering several GWh per quarter, or cells would be piling up at the Gigafactory.

Cars sitting in storage- Are those cars sitting in storage or are they in transit lots at places such as Lanthrop? Were the pictures taken at the end of Q2 when Tesla was deliberately slowing down the delivery pace in order to avoid reaching 200,000th US car that quarter? Did you know that 40% of Model 3s manufactured in Q2 were not delivered until July? Yep, that can be lots of vehicles, but lack of demand is not likely the reason, especially for Model 3

I did not want to derail papafox's thread. So I am posting the google cache of the mysteriously deleted blog post from Orbital Insights here.

Don’t Panic About the Thousands of Teslas Parked in a California Field

In addition to my earlier post, this is more evidence that bears are clutching at straw

(* waves at silent $TSLAQ bears who took a screenshot of my last post & pasted it on twitter :D *)

Assuming Panasonic is already producing enough for 5k/week on 10 lines (500/week per line), and they add 3 more lines at 30% (3x 650) more cap per each, then they'd be coming up just short of 7000k/week rate by end of 2018. Sounds like not enough cell production to me ... especially if Tesla expect to hit sustained 6k in August, 7k by end of 2018 would be a disappointment.

To me 7k Model 3 a week by end of 2018 is a win. It’ll mean improved efficiencies. Better to focus on quality and deliveries before we ramp up to 10k.

They're definitely not at 35 GWh/year currently. In my estimation they're at 19-25 GWh/year for Model 3 (5-6k/wk) and 1-2 GWh/year for TE. So 20-27 GWh/year currently.

If they were to be at 35 GWh/year currently, TE would need to be delivering several GWh per quarter, or cells would be piling up at the Gigafactory.

I do not have an access to the original article (Japanese) but could locate a SNS post which seemed an exact copy of the original. According to it, They will increase the capacity to 35GWh by adding 3 more lines which is more efficient than the current 10 lines.

I do not have an access to the original article (Japanese) but could locate a SNS post which seemed an exact copy of the original. According to it, They will increase the capacity to 35GWh by adding 3 more lines which is more efficient than the current 10 lines.
Interesting. Reaching 35 GWh/year with a 30% increase suggests they are currently at around 27 GWh/year. That suggests they are currently close to 6k/wk, not 5k/wk.

Almost definitely just coincidence, but I find it interesting that this report cites increased Model 3 "demand" as the reason for the coming production increase since "demand" is what the shorts are now hyperventilating about.

Of course, for Panasonic, "demand" is what Tesla needs, but Tesla isn't going to demand more batteries if it doesn't have consumer demand for 5,000+ a week. Naturally, lifelong TSLA shorts will still find a way to spin this as a "sky is falling" news item.

HEADLINE: Shortsville Times

Panasonic fails to make enough batteries.

If Panasonic had to switch production around just to meet a singular 5k week that’s concerning. I had hoped they would be further ahead especially with Tesla management confidently predicting both a significant Tesla energy ramp and a robust path beyond 5k/week in second half 2018. We risk seeing neither by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.