Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saudis and other potential private investors accumulating shares. The idea is this deal can almost be done on the open market and then offer people a last way out at $420. I doubt there will be many investors who voluntarily sell at $420.

The problem will be if short's leave it too late to cover they'll be squeezed

Agree and good point. But why is squeeze a problem? Come-on, just a little squeeze pleazzze. So now I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy more myself (saying I would hold just 15 min ago). I am putting a small sell in at $800 and maybe more at $1,200.

I don't think there will be a problem getting funding via one of the "options" to be committee reviewed. I take that as different mixes and % of players. If I were a billionaire philanthropist, I'd be calling Musk as well. Bill?

From the Saudis side, why would they hide behind <5% to avoid filing? Any downside to buying 15-20% at below $420 price? I'm not sure why would they not be buying right now...unless they had some verbal agreement w/ Elon that they can't have more than ?20% to stay on good terms with him and expect to pick up as much during buyout.

I'd think so. Elon would not give up control of Tesla for anything. He cares about that a lot more than about the original stockholders retaining their shares in the private company. This is his baby, and while he wants it to thrive, he also really wants to be in control.

Yikes...

I can't help but feel the latest announcement is just going to send the FUDsters off to the races, and this time I think I agree with them. Their position all along has been that Elon made the tweet about "funding secured" without having solid, signed and sealed commitments to cover the cost of the privatization. From the statement it looks like he did not. Whether he had to have that or not, I guess the SEC will rule on that but I have to admit, I don't feel any better after reading it. This could get ugly.

Just my $.02 of course.

Dan

Ya, this outcome means I take TSLA more as a business decision now as opposed to believing in its mission. There are potential interferences from big oil to consider. Instead of just negative articles, we are now faced with direct voting right from big oil.

Like the scty deal that burdened tsla with unecessary debt, SA money it'll sap energy from TSLA in other ways.

It will depend on how big their position ends up being, IMHO. I don't know how much they could interfere if it stays below 15%.

Reactions: cdub
I had been hoping, really hoping that it was not the Saudis. It is completely my personal bias, but I just like anything to do with theme overall Middle East in general. I feel that the leaders are nothing more than tribal chiefs, keeping their power with suppression of the masses and with no regard for human rights. Feeling disappointed that it is them.

I am still staying in with my shares if I can but not as over the top excited about this as before, or like I would be if it was Google, Apple or a group of investors. Still fully confident Tesla will be private soon.
If their fate now depends on the future of Tesla (and similar projects), how can they not change?

Yikes...

I can't help but feel the latest announcement is just going to send the FUDsters off to the races, and this time I think I agree with them. Their position all along has been that Elon made the tweet about "funding secured" without having solid, signed and sealed commitments to cover the cost of the privatization. From the statement it looks like he did not. Whether he had to have that or not, I guess the SEC will rule on that but I have to admit, I don't feel any better after reading it. This could get ugly.

Just my $.02 of course.

Dan
Negotiations and due diligence always precede the actual deal. I'm perfectly comfortable with "secured" at this time.

I think there is a mix of retail buying and institutional selling by funds who can’t or don’t want to go private. So actually, price action makes sense..... shorts are gonna try to time bottom of institutional selling and so the buys may come later....

My guess obviously ...
Why would institutions who aren't going to invest in TSLAP sell at this discount to the buyout price? If the deal fails, they have no reason to sell. If the deal goes through, Tesla pays them $420 per share. I can't think of a good reason why they would want to get out in a hurry at these lower prices.

Yikes...

Just my $.02 of course.

Dan

Breathe. No more coffee. Massage. Alcohol. Ambient. Sleep.

Way more drama (in general from many) than required. I’ve seen this movie many times over the years. It works out in the end. Go read last year’s investor threads when Tesla was merging with Solar City. You’d have thought the zombie apocalypse had just happened. People always want to think the worst case scenario +1000. It’s an interesting human phenomenon except when it happens here year after year. Now it’s enough to give me a headache from the constant eye rolling.

How so ? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but my impression is that the low price is a reflection of labor costs, close to free land, and very attractive financing terms.

The main benefit I see is an additional market for Chinese panels, thereby mitigating the potential harm to PV scale from the US tariffs introduced by the maggot in the White House.

Fair enough. Also, PV in Saudi Arabia has a near optimal capacity factor. So I guess the Saudi benefit to the transition to sustainable energy in general is limited to:
1) Supporting the production and construction of large PV-plants, thus driving down costs, and
2) Demonstrating that the cost of PV (in some locations) is lower than basically all other forms of electricity generation - and lower than even the marginal cost of anything but other sustainable sources (wind and hydro). For energy planners, it can be a real help to be able to point to actual, pre-existing projects and their costs.

Agree and good point. But why is squeeze a problem? Come-on, just a little squeeze pleazzze. So now I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy more myself (saying I would hold just 15 min ago). I am putting a small sell in at $800 and maybe more at $1,200.

I believe that a short squeeze is more and more improbable.

This is a completely different situation than VW-Porsche.
In this situation, there are a lot of shares in the market and probably a few current investors will have to sell as soon as some more details on the organisation are known.

For a short squeeze to happen a % higher than the short sellers position needed to be in possession of investor(s) NOT willing to sell.

Very difficult to happen IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.