Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take the news with a bit of grain of salt.

Don't know if verbal agreement means "secured" to SEC or they would expect to see something signed.
A verbal agreement means secured according to the M&A lawyer with 30 years experience quoted by ArsTechnica (in an otherwise pessimistic article). Good enough for me.

From the Saudis side, why would they hide behind <5% to avoid filing? Any downside to buying 15-20% at below $420 price? I'm not sure why would they not be buying right now...unless they had some verbal agreement w/ Elon that they can't have more than ?20% to stay on good terms with him and expect to pick up as much during buyout.
Yeah, I'd expect the Saudis to head for 20% unless they had a verbal agreement with Elon not to.

Nowhere in the blog from today does it say 'the Saudi agreed to pay $420 per share'. What it says is that Musk wants to take it private at $420. I think it's pretty obvious that he pulled that number out of his *** for his first tweet in order to burn the shorts, failed, and now with the help of his lawyers is publishing this 2nd blog to cover his ***.
Could everyone please just place this new FUDster on ignore. There's enough crap as it is these days...

Honestly, shorts should be terrified. I have no idea why people are so in doubt of Elon getting the funding but he will most definitely get the funding he wants. But lets say you are a short and don't foresee that happening. Well guess what..., its not needed. Q3 is going to show profitability and demonstrate that Tesla does not need public markets for funding. In addition to that there is Saudi funding, which based on timeline of his tweet, the fact that they tried for 2 years to take Tesla private, and how new shares were not issued by Tesla to have the Saudis buy in shows me that Elon is not that interested in their money. I feel more than ever he is trying to generate a short squeeze (and not in a bluffing kind of way but a legitimate there're no shares to buy to cover because no one is selling kind of way. - EM would probably use first principles and not intuition and bluffing)

IMO his tweeting is two-fold. Firstly, it was to generate buying pressure, both by the long investors who believe in the mission and want to go private with Tesla as well as the Saudi's (ask yourself why they would buy shares for 420$ or whatever premium is to your liking, when they can buy at 350$). As for the shorts, well they don't really matter, the tweet was never meant to spook them because its already so heavily divided in that longs will go to war with Elon, and shorts will say whatever will make him appear in a negative light. Second was to get the conversation away from the company itself so that negative news about the company falling about, which obviously isn't the case, would stop being run daily. Also analysts still do not expect a profitable Tesla, so that's really going to be a big positive surprise.

The above is my own opinion but I think its the most logical way to think about it for me based on the information that is available. I think taking Tesla private may or may not happen and I really think that getting into the weeds is just a distraction. The whole point is to take out the short sellers, either through a huge loss or taking the ability to short sell away from them. Both require significant buying. I believe that a short squeeze has a non-negligible chance of occurring. Finally, there's the why. EM hates short sellers, which is evident is his tweets and preoccupation with them, and is extremely petty against people he doesn't like. He will do his best to ensure that short sellers will lose and that should terrify them. For that reason, I wouldn't bet against him and Tesla.

When the Saudi take the company private, are they going to use tents for all future production, or they will stick to the one they have now?

Hope your short position isn't too big, or you'll be living in a tent. Under a bridge. But your tent won't be a sprung structure, that's far too fancy for your needs. :)

Last edited:
Ben,

That's the problem. Musk does not have that pre-approval letter signed by anyone. He assumed the director's approval was all he needed. Wrong, that is not how the Saudis operate. There are a lot of articles and some actual courses out there for foreign business leaders to understand the Saudi investment and purchasing processes. Similar to the same type of information when dealing with the Chinese and Japanese.

The tone of today's blog post may not sit well with the Saudis at all. Musk is essentially blaming their director for his going public with the announcement before the Saudis have even seen his plan to go private. That may have been a very bad move. Rub them the wrong way and they bite back. Just look to Canada for a current example.
That would be a win for Tesla -- it would chase away the Saudis and remove the risk of a hostile takeover from them.

Actually, he played it the only way he could. Either the Saudis come in as a friendly investor on terms which encourage other billionaires to join, or they *don't* come in and he doesn't have to deal with them.

Fred at Electrek said that this might either be a deal funded by the Saudis or that the announcment might have been to fend off the Saudis but that it couldn't be both. Of course, he was wrong. It absolutely could be both. A "friendly embrace" which helps prevent the Saudis from getting even more control.

Yep yep. They just found out about the Saudi money, and released the "considering taking it private" news the *same day*. I think the timing is NOT coincidental. I think the going-private plan has been in progress for a while but it had to be revealed early, because he wants to lock the Saudis out of increasing their share further, and prevent them from gaining control.

I suspect his buddies who are providing funding don't like the Saudis much either.

Putting the company into "tender offer" play may be the best move to lock out the Saudis, though if the Saudis make their own tender offer... things would get sticky. I wouldn't tender my shares to the Saudis even if their offer was much higher, though; that government has been so evil that my rather minimal "ethical investing" filter kicks in.

And apparently it wasn’t coincidental. Question is, did you do the 180 already?

I never believed the big oil conspiracy theories, but it’s fun to see the pirouettes on the forums right now :D

• Disagree
Reactions: callmesam
Well then wth do I know...

Although the intra-day swings typically cause my TSLA position to change in excess of my (stable) monthly salary, I am absolutely not going to try to cash in on this by day-trading. With my ability to predict these intra-days swings, day-trading would surely ruin me real quick - which may be of some consolation to you.

I think the obvious joke some folks are missing is this. Many of the Shorts were banking on Tesla going bankrupt. Even if the $420 offer is BS and even if funding is 'far from secure', there is no way Tesla is going Chapter 13 because they'll get bought before then.

The shorts are arguing contradictions... either the company is worth at least $420 (in which case their trading strategy is crap) or they're not, in which case the price will naturally fall to a point where they're brought out.

Did they simply think Tesla would simply disappear, with all their IP, infrastructure and and customers? I understand shorting on a volatile stock for short-term gains, but as an over-sized bet on complete failure, that strategy was always moronic.

I just read this morning's letter:

Update on Taking Tesla Private

Since this started at the beginning of Donald Trump's presidency, obviously this is a well integrated approach to this issue.

I think Elon Musk decided to go through the necessary process of making profitability work before subjecting anyone to a huge investment situation. I believe that was a mature and wise thing to do. While it is unfortunate in terms of timing opportunities lost, in the long run, it may have been a good decision to keep financial management disciplined and start the profitability phase of the company on the right path. I say this knowing full well that it is a revenue-funded growth plan, and that they may take options to grow outside the range of their current revenue, as well. Note that I'm perfectly aware profitability was just proven, and not in the fake minds of the shorts.

Reactions: neroden and mongo
Yea, I'm a lawyer but I don't do securities. My gut read is that Elon needs to hire better lawyers and keep them on speed dial. The copyright unicorn farting thing was bad enough...

And yet, it got resolved.

Based on his blog post this morning, I don’t see that Elon did anything against SEC rules. Indeed, the Tesla board asked him to violate Reg FD when they asked him to talk to a few large shareholders. Elon, correctly, thought that the right thing to do before that was to inform all shareholders. All this talk about rules violations is just crap.

FYI CFIUS was just amended and signed by President Trump.

The new legislation brings expanded oversight over previously uncovered transactions, including minority stakes and other non-controlling investments.

Trump to Sign CFIUS Reform Bill: What Dealmakers Need to Know | National Law Journal
Got a quote? It seems to be paywalled.

I found this:
Congress finalizes CFIUS reform bill to broaden national security reviews of foreign investments | Insights | DLA Piper Global Law Firm

This seems to indicate that CFIUS can review whatever it wants to?
any "other investment" 1 (generally, non-passive) by a foreign person in any US business that:

a. owns, operates, manufactures, supplies or services critical infrastructure
b. produces, designs, tests, manufactures, fabricates, or develops critical technologies or
c. maintains or collects sensitive personal data

The "non-passive" restriction here seems to mean that declaration of passive status is a permanent way to avoid CFIUS for a <20% investment. But I haven't seen the text of the bill.

We also get something regarding investments with a "substantial interest", which is super vague. But apparently the definition of substantial interest specifically is "excluding investments with a less than 10 percent voting interest." Is that where you're getting 10% from?

The Saudis could get non-voting shares. That gets around that.

So let's say this all goes through. Musk's vision is of a private Tesla, whose shareholders are more or less - himself (20%), some of the funds currently invested (let's say 10 funds with 40% total), the Saudi (25%), and retail investors (say 10,000 investors with 15% via some SPV or similar). LOL@anyone who believes this is remotely possible, especially for a company that burns cash and will require financing at some point in the future.

It doesn’t burn cash (anymore), and raising money privately isn’t hard these days for future factories (see Uber).

Status
Not open for further replies.