Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an inkling this would happen so bought a lot of options above 420 next year expiry. They were less than a dollar due to the going private issue. Sure the prices will go up now that the anchor has been lifted. Just need good Q3 Q4 results for a decent move up.

I remember you suggesting this as a strategy, buying calls that were over 420 strike next year as a play on the whole deal not happening. Glad to hear you actually did it! Og course we'll have to see how the underlying equity moves come Monday, but it would be very interesting with a little follow-up report from you on what happens with the value of these calls!

So never a dull week with Elon at the helm? Like many others retail investors here on the forum and out in the world I added to my long position efter the announcement. I'm happy to admit I did it prematurely (at 'bout treefiddy) but nevertheless I added to my position. I'm definitely a "strong long". I must have bought from a "weaker long" or from someone who opened a short position. On a whole short interest hasn't changed significantly (down slightly) in the last few weeks, and stock price has seemed to have extreme support at the $320 level the last two days. Also, perhaps some large institutional investors were selling of after the announcement with others not buying in for different reasons (being involved in negotiations, not being able to own potential future TSLAP). So won't some of those institutions get back in now? And weak retail long on average being replaced by strong longs must be a good thing, right?

My only worry is Elon will be stamped a liar by lots of pundits and detractors. I personally find it admirable to able to take advice and change your mind on any issue of new information comes up. There are those who want to be right, and there are those who want to get it right. Elon is the latter.

I don't see the price dropping dramatically on Monday - what would be the logical reason for that? But then again when has the stock market ever acted logically?

Good morning from U-wope!

From a purely selfish and prersonal perspective, very happy with this - was pretty sure I'd be forced-out at 420, so I'm good.

As for Tesla, I think it's better public anyway - the free advertising we get from all the noise is priceless, yes, even the FUD can help at times.

This is allegedly Elon's international email to staff with the news, highlight is mine. Assuming Elon is being straight, which I think he normally is, he's listened to us, the investors, to come to this decision. Shows he has the balls to change direction when given other evidence, even though it may cause him personal repercussions.

Really happy I can stay part of this wild ride!

To: Everybody

Subj. Staying Public

8:34 p.m.

After giving this a lot of thought, I have come to the conclusion that the best path for the foreseeable future is for Tesla to remain a public company.

There are certainly a number of very compelling reasons to go private, so this is far from an obvious decision, but, on balance, being public appears to best serve the interests of the people of Tesla and
those who have invested in our future.

Thanks for being awesome,

Elon

Puzzled as to why everyone thinks the shorty-shorts get out of jail with this? I think exactly the opposite. With the 420 price being under-written and capping the SP, the chance of a squeeze was very low. Now with very good Q3 figures likely, I think the burn-of-the-century is back on the table. Fundamentals are looking excellent.

Other thoughts...

I also speculated that this might have been the nature of the game... Not sure it's the case given the regulatory hurdles the SA's would have to jump though.

So effectively, what Elon has done is succesfully fight off a take-over attempt by the Saudi sovereign wealth fund.

Well played, sir, well played.

You should get out more :eek:

At least staying public I don't have to be sad about this forum thread vanishing. Over 5 years of enjoying the conversation, and even made a few personal friends here.

Options are gambling, regardless of the news and the 100% confidence factor that it will come to be. Which is never 100% until it has happened, and even then...

So I lost about 30% of my life's savings because my J20 400 LEAPs went off a cliff in the span of 5 minutes, had to sell and buy DITM leap, all that for nothing? I'm a tad annoyed. Now those J20 400 LEAPs are going to skyrocket and if I want to get back into them, it's a day's wait.

Wrong, now there's a high probability of the SP going above 420, it's much more attractive now and the SP was heading there before this whole thing kicked-off.

There is no more reason for the big funds to further hold their Tesla shares. The "risk" of missing out the 420$ buyout just went away

Yep, felt a bit deflated the last few weeks, but can get back on it now!

It’s time to get on social media and yahoo to dispell FUD, folks.

As options go, this was a very low-cost lottery ticket!

I had an inkling this would happen so bought a lot of options above 420 next year expiry. They were less than a dollar due to the going private issue. Sure the prices will go up now that the anchor has been lifted. Just need good Q3 Q4 results for a decent move up.

Thats unexpected news but it does give certainty and certainty is always our friend at the stock market.

I do not remember that a larger endeavor from Elon was not put into reality and expected him to fight this through. As said before "I was wrong before".

Still I consider this a good move because acknowledging that the plan will not work out and abandon it quickly is a good move. A go private effort would have kept uncertainty alive for many months to come. I assume its not the one reason but likely a combination that brought him to the conclusion and decision. One could be that his advisors could not present a meaningful path for small not accredited investors to stay with Tesla which may have been one of his red lines. I doubt that it has been an issue about low interest of investors to make the private company move happen although some has said they can stay in like ARK. That has been known before.

Anyway that is past now, the speculation gone and certainty is present again. The dream to get all shorts out and that the FUD will be reduced is gone unfortunately. So we are all required to step up again and fight for truth and credible information. It was like that before as I spend the last days quite some time on German blogs to get a few facts straight. Received a lot of positive reaction there so worth doing.

All what we know about Monday is that the trading volume will be high. In what direction the stock goes is unknown and I do not care much looking at one day or week or even a month. There are good reasons that the FUD will be strong and shorts go in again although without new fundamental information that is not a good idea. Weak longs should be out now so all what shorts can do is to question Elons CEO skills and thats a very weak case to try pushing bulls into bears. Most of longs are in because of Elon and not despite.

On the long side I believe most positioned themselves in the last 2 weeks already and thats why volume has been very low the last days without news. Now as certainty is around and weak longs went out there is a lot of good reasoning to go in again.

So we are back to exciting stock moves next week.

P.S. As a side note there is an interesting piece of information in the letter: "We’ve shown that we can make great sustainable energy products, and we now need to show that we can be sustainably profitable."

Elon does not talk about showing profitability here but sustainable profitability. Reading tea leaves I do guess they are profitable already now.

Last edited:
Not looking forward to the open on Monday. I'm happy I'll be able to stay invested as I don't think my Roth IRA would have easily allowed for me to be in a private company. I just wish we have never had that tweet as the stock was showing a nice gain that day from the Saudi investment and it seemed as positive sentiment was back. Now I'm thinking we go sub $300 on Monday's open, hopefully we will recover in a few days but this is a very expensive tweet for a lot of us, on paper anyways.

I'm going to take a positive view of this and hope that at the very least it will teach Elon a valuable lesson regarding the power of his twitter account and the damage it can do so easily to investors. If it gets Elon to quit tweeting it may have been worth it .... I guess we will see.

Cheers to the longs

For what my advice is worth:

What is really going to matter is Q3, Q4 results. If Tesla does well across those two, I think 420 is getting breached regardless.

Remember why we are all here and I will leave a quote that echos the sentiment of all of us when we first got inside a Tesla.

“I’ll buy it!”
“I’ll take it!”
- Jay Leno

This sentiment will only snowball as more and more exposure happens to the cars we love and the visionary behind it all.

Going to go run errands around town tomorrow with my Performance 3 and lay the smack down on some Corvettes, Bimmers, Mercs or anything unfortunate to line up next to me.
To be fair, have you ever heard of a car Jay Leno doesn't want to buy.

The roadster looks awesome but Jay Leno shouldn't be the yardstick.

I'm way late to the punch with this but...
I think the most impressive thing is that Model 3 is, for July, the 20th best-selling vehicle in the US. Sometime next year, when they reach 10K/week, it will be in the top 5.
July's not a good month to pick because GM stopped reporting monthly sales figures (sorta like Tesla never has). They only report quarterly now. So, not a single GM vehicle is represented in that month at all.

June 2018 - The Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked - includes GM.

Or, if one wants to limit to cars while still including GM: June 2018 YTD U.S. Passenger Car Sales Rankings - Best-Selling Cars In America -. "Light trucks" which includes SUVs, pickups, minivans and some vans outsell passenger cars in the US by a considerable amount now.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Wow. Now what?
What the f**k is going to happen to the share price on Monday? Any guesses?
I can't wait to see how the media reacts to this.
I mean, wow.
Seriously guys, wow.

The media will go bonkers to sell clicks.
The stock price may suffer or may not - Q2 was still solid.
Stock price will pop up on continued good news about Model 3 sales.
Will continue to grow based on the whole business popping out cars at great margins, and will eventually becoming cash cow.

But remember, this is not GM, not Ford. Yawn stocks.

Tesla is a fast moving innovative business lead by one of the biggest do-ers of our time disrupting old entrenched industries that want to see it all go away.

But it will succeed, because it is on the right path, while others stick to the wrong one.

It's a rollercoaster yes, but...

TSLA long... .it's obvious.

Reactions: gene
So stock will now gradually go down to 200$... Well Done Mr. Musk, well done. You've officially won an award... I guess.

I am one of the bulls trapped within your lies, Musk. I do really hope you feel sorry for all long investors that believe in you and in Tesla. But I start feeling that you care more about not loosing your job and your power in Tesla then apologizing to your investors.

From a purely selfish and prersonal perspective, very happy with this - was pretty sure I'd be forced-out at 420, so I'm good.

Same for me, I am happy I’m not going to be forced to sell at 420, and that I won’t have to look for a way to remain a shareholder of a private Tesla.

In preparation of a potential forced sale at 420, I added more shares this week. My target is much higher than 420, so I’ll keep those for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.