Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of focus on Model 3 deliveries, but not on Model S and X. At an average price of $55,000+ and guided margin of 15% for Q3 each Model 3 will bring in a profit of $8.000. A Model S or X, with an average price of $95,000 (?) and a margin of 25+% will bring in $24.000. That means one Model S or X equals three times a Model 3. Production of Model S and X seems to be heading to 27,000 for Q3. If deliveries match that it would be a record quarter, if I remember correctly. 3,500 extra Model S and X would already equal more than 10,000 Model 3.
Absolutely correct. But there seems to be a problem there. According to Electrek this morning, Tesla just announced they are willing to let lessees out as much as two years early if they are willing to take delivery of a new S or X by 9/30. That means 1) taking a unit from inventory and 2) it is going to be expensive for Tesla. I do not see how that will help profits. It is just another way (in addition to discounts they are already offering) to unload existing inventory.

3000 Euro? That is approx. 4'000 usd which would value the company at close to 700 billion (like Amazon). No car company ever exceeded 200B, Toyota currently valued at 204B...

Pleasw think again. .

Tesla is no regular car company. It also builds battery storage, and solar roof tiles, and it will become a truck builder too. Its cars are not your thirteen-in-a-dozen cars with countless competitors. They are unique and years ahead of the competition. Autonomous driving is also way ahead and could form the basis of an autonomous car sharing fleet. The margins on the cars are 3 to 5 times higher than the average in the car industry. Sales are doubling every two years. They could become a dominant force in several fields. They could be making serious profits too. Amazon, which yesterday had a valuation of a trillion dollars, has a profit of $2 billion per quarter. I can see Tesla make a lot more than that.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct. But there seems to be a problem there. According to Electrek this morning, Tesla just announced they are willing to let lessees out as much as two years early if they are willing to take delivery of a new S or X by 9/30. That means 1) taking a unit from inventory and 2) it is going to be expensive for Tesla. I do not see how that will help profits. It is just another way (in addition to discounts they are already offering) to unload existing inventory.

Because the residuals are so good they can make money both ways. Duh. Their inventory doesn't change until the lease-return car is sold. You're just being thick on purpose here.

The fact that they are doing it seems to indicate that it helps Q3

Why those who were willing to pay 420 for "guaranteed of turning their investments into a grossly ridiculous pile of money" are not buying now? Paying 280 instead of 420 would turn the investment into even more grossly ridiculous pile of money.

Ps. you're using that word again.. You give a lot of guarantees.

So TSLA is never going to a larger market cap than its all time high? Ok. If you think so. Always so brave and sure you shorts are when the SP is down a bit and then mom’s the word when it’s rising. Let me remind you that the IPO was a whopping $17. Let me also remind you of Feb 2016 when the whole UK issue was going on and Tesla went down to $140 and you were all cheering your little heads off only to then watch it go up to a new ath.

I can think of a million reasons why they aren’t buying/making any buying known. That you can’t think of a single reason isn’t my problem.

Yep, make that ONE wrong Tesla prediction from me. You’ve had several. Still, if not for Elon Musk’s loyalty to the little guy, you’d have been wrong yet again.

I’ll be here next year and the year after and the year after and I’ll remind you of just how sure you were the Tesla would never see $420+.

Daimler and VW had very clear motives for their actions. Surprised you cannot see them.

Don’t try and suggest you have any idea except that which the media spewed out about VW. Certainly I can think of several plausible possibilities but they’re all irrelevant so I let it go real quick.

Daimler was a whole other ballgame years ago. Don’t try and conflate the two. Especially after you just said that when you make big investments it’s obvious control is what you want. Daimler got ZERO control for their 50M investment in 2008 when the chances of them losing every penny was extremely high.

Reactions: neroden
You’re a snake in the grass. You have no idea when I got my three, buddy. But nice try coming across like you know something you don’t. That’s par for the course.

Everyone needs to block beachbum and Mike. I've been falsely accused of being a short, but clearly they both are.

That or Mike just has his ants in his panties and can't wait a few months for Tesla to continue to deliver.

Everyone needs to block beachbum and Mike. I've been falsely accused of being a short, but clearly they both are.

That or Mike just has his ants in his panties and can't wait a few months for Tesla to continue to deliver.

Still trying to come of with the name of the mental disorder you have to have to go to the trouble of making an account on a forum of things you hate, just to troll the community there. I'm sure some of them have financial interests. I think others don't, they're just straight out wack.

Troy is projecting production of 52,631 and deliveries of 56,631. If we subtract the 11,166 that were in transit at the end of June that gives us 45,465 units of Q3 production that have to get delivered by 9/30. That means only 7,166 can be in transit on 9/30. That is about 10 days of production. Tesla is currently running 21 days. They have to cut that in half by month end.

If Tesla wants to achieve highest delivery numbers, they can plan to deliver the last 2 weeks production to CA customers.

My threshold on blocking someone is pretty high. Mike is the first and only person to have hit it. Beachbum is certainly more bearish than most here(and much more so than I am), but seems reasoned enough(more so than some of the bulls), so I value his contributions, even if I usually disagree with them.

If Tesla wants to achieve highest delivery numbers, they can plan to deliver the last 2 weeks production to CA customers.
The only reason I am discounting that in a few of my posts is they are having enough problems pushing through deliveries spread out over the whole USA so to concentrate them on CA centers for 2-3 weeks...well, I'd hate to be the Tesla employees working there if they do. But who knows, they could be lining up a huge glut of home deliveries in CA to get around that.

Edit: For an anecdotal example there have been a few stories on reddit of deliveries at Freemont already being a bit of a gong show. So to then concentrate everything on CA might just not be feasible. Baring home deliveries or new pop-up delivery centers like they did in Vancouver and Toronto that I know of.

One thing that is helping is that once the people finally get their cars the "bad" seems to fade away. Whether that will continue remains to be seen. But the entire delivery structure needs an overhaul. Ex. Why is someone in CA or NV setting the delivery dates before the vehicles have even arrived? Let the DC people do that once the car arrives and can be inspected for flaws or damage. That right there would eliminate 90% of the canceled deliveries. The ISA's should drop off the radar once they confirm the vehicle is shipped. From there all reporting to the customer should pass to the DC personnel.
This is such brilliant thinking, you should apply for a job at Tesla. Of course, you’d have to turn in your “I spin Tesla to fail” card.

It is truly a honor for me to be one of the first persons to surpass your threshold for blocking someone. However, I am investing my free time to take part in this forum because I do have a true financial interest in Tesla and sorry but my emotions sometimes get through the wind because I simply do not like to be the victim of a fraudulent action from Mr Musk in the past few weeks. To me it is absolutely clear today that without him the share price would be at least 340$ currently and not fighting to hold 280$ because of failed going private, lies, the pedo story, the nyt article and the legal risks arising for Tesla increasing costs and therefore decreasing the chance of being finally profitable. Sorry but to me this CEO needs to stand up and be a man and apologize.

This is such brilliant thinking, you should apply for a job at Tesla. Of course, you’d have to turn in your “I spin Tesla to fail” card.
Nice try but I do not have such a card. I have been writing about suggestions for Tesla for a long time. No one seems to care. That's OK. I put them out there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.