Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be careful not to miss the fly in the ointment. Bloomberg vin tracking showed a drop in production at the end of month.

My suspicion is that there were 3 reasons.

1. There could be line upgrades done in prep for a busy quarter coming up

2. Some staff could be repurposed toward the delivery process or clear out a few vacation days

3. By keeping production costs lower (materials) they could peek above the profitable line for an earnings surprise

This looks like it was in the cards from the last quarter when the delivery pipe was well primed for the 3rd quarter. Now by dampening down production costs at the tail of the quarter they have a window of profitability. I wonder when this possibility will be resolved? Pretty cool for the longs.

I believe an answer for this is that Tesla received higher than expected demand for AWD and the 10,000 drive assemblies per month announcement is telling.

Higher AWD drive demand will push ASP higher but needing twice the Motor’s is a likely bottleneck due to their announcement.

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash
Why wouldn't Elon take part? He's still CEO?

Yeah, what I meant was, other than a cursory "hello" I hope he stays off the call. He can use twitter to explain what's happening. The earnings call needs to be as boring as possible, and let Deepak deal with it.

Otherwise you know what all the questions will be; just leading him into questions about the SEC deal etc. All that needs to be stamped on, and so better if he was there for show, but didn't answer any questions.

@beachbum77 you should go buy a Tesla with your winnings.

Imagine the chaos that would ensue on seeking alpha.
I already have the funds set aside for my SR, MSM, 19", PUP Model 3. Today...hmmm, might be a LONG Med cruise or a month stay in Italy. But I am only half way through this week's trading. Now I need to see good delivery numbers to cement the rest of the calls deep in profits. Then I may have to switch up to a Model S.

As I have said before, I have no complaints with Tesla's products. Some of their business decisions drove me to the dark side. A new Chairman, new board members, and a better business plan could keep me long far into the future. Despite my rep on here, my rep on SA is one of balanced objectivity. If I go long and stay long, others may follow my lead. Time (and the numbers) will tell.

While I am glad the longs like yourself who held on have recovered over this SEC debacle, my one-day returns of 686.11%, as of a moment ago, prove options are the better and far less risky play if you know what you are doing.

Last edited:
Yeah, what I meant was, other than a cursory "hello" I hope he stays off the call. He can use twitter to explain what's happening. The earnings call needs to be as boring as possible, and let Deepak deal with it.

Otherwise you know what all the questions will be; just leading him into questions about the SEC deal etc. All that needs to be stamped on, and so better if he was there for show, but didn't answer any questions.

Noooo we need Elon to be Elon but perhaps with tape delayed so there’s a chance to edit any faux pas that come up. ;)

I disagree, I want Elon on the call, he is a valuable source of information.

Questions about the SEC deal will easily be deflected, in fact, ruled out-of-order, and here is why. This is the Tesla quarterly earning conference call. To discuss TSLA and Tesla corporate issues. Elon's effort to take the company private was a separate consortium of entities led by him, but was not Tesla, per se, and the SEC was suing Elon as n individual for his behaviour during that take-private process. It was not Tesla machinations. There won't be any SEC questions answered during that call and any analyst who asks SEC-related questions will get a black mark.

I believe Elon has 45 days to step down as chairman of the board. The Q3 earnings call falls well within that period. And there is the physical time taken to find a new chairman - might take until after October 3rd or so (whever the ER is).

It’s not that hard. Just start out the call stating that you will not answer any question pertaining to the SEC. if someone does ask, just ignore and move on.

I already have the funds set aside for my SR, MSM, 19", PUP Model 3. Today...hmmm, might be a LONG Med cruise or a month stay in Italy. But I am only half way through this week's trading. Now I need to see good delivery numbers to cement the rest of the calls deep in profits. Then I may have to switch up to a Model S.

As I have said before, I have no complaints with Tesla's products. Some of their business decisions drove me to the dark side. A new Chairman, new board members, and a better business plan could keep me long far into the future. Despite my rep on here, my rep on SA is one of balanced objectivity. If I go long and stay long, others may follow my lead. Time (and the numbers) will tell..

I think you yourself could manipulate the stock if you went out and bought a Tesla today.

“Donn Bailey buys a Tesla” would collapse SA.

One more article like “Musk is absolutely 100% going to prison” is expected and doesn’t do anything.

I had spent another 10k USD on shares and calls on Friday. Having steel nerves pay off I guess but I don't know what to do with this 10/19 295c call I have. I bought it when shares were 270 and I'm already up 200% however I don't want to sell because deliveries taking us to 320s would be 300%. Anyone want to chime in? Should I just not be greedy and sell?

Reactions: Johan
I think you yourself could manipulate the stock if you went out and bought a Tesla today.

“Donn Bailey buys a Tesla” would collapse SA.

One more article like “Musk is absolutely 100% going to prison” is expected and doesn’t do anything.
ROFL!!! You give me WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much credit. Heck, I am not even on Twitter! ValueAnalyst has a lot more street cred and she is already long... or was anyway. ;)

I had spent another 10k USD on shares and calls on Friday. Having steel nerves pay off I guess but I don't know what to do with this 10/19 295c call I have. I bought it when shares were 270 and I'm already up 200% however I don't want to sell because deliveries taking us to 320s would be 300%. Anyone want to chime in? Should I just not be greedy and sell?
Sell half.

If you read the SEC lawsuit, Musk and the BoD gave the SEC enough information to win their case. I believe that is why his team was reportedly shocked when he turned down the first settlement offer. We do not know what the SIF actually told the SEC investigators which could have been even more damaging.

Remember, in a civil class-action they do not have to prove fraud, just that the tweets Musk made were incorrect as of August 7th. With no discussion with the Saudis on a price per share or how much they would have to fund the "go private" effort, Musk did not have "funding secured". Whether he could have raised the funds after the fact does not matter.

Without a vote of approval from the BoD on his plan (which had not been presented as of August 7th, a shareholder vote was NOT all that remained to make his plan happen. Whether Musk understood that at the time is irrelevant. The statements were factually incorrect. That will be the basis of new and on-going lawsuits, and Musk will certainly settle just as he did with the SEC and will put this all behind him.

The new communication controls the Board will introduce will prevent this sort of thing from happening again in the future (we hope).
We are all aware of those claims by the SEC, but proving them would have been another story. In fact, former SEC Senior Counsel Thomas Gorman believes the SEC would have had a difficult time proving their claims as they themselves have noted Musk met 3-4 times with the Saudis on this. And the SEC also filed a civil case, so in that sense it was no different in terms of the need to prove bad intent.

So while there would have been a discussion on whether Elon could have reasonably believed funding was secured, it is far from a foregone conclusion he would have lost the case. In fact, quite the opposite as per Mr. Gorman.

As to the shorts` argument, i think they have an even tougher case for a couple of reasons.
  • They claim financial damages, but this may only apply to those who closed all their positions as the share price ran up and lost money. Those who stayed in, made money as the SP plummeted the next few trading days as Musk did not disclose financing details, so overall they may even have a financial gain due to Musk` actions. (I saw an "expert" make this claim but can`t recall who and when, but does make some sense.)
  • Prefacing the entire saga with "I am considering" and the fact they still would have needed investors` approval (which Musk admitted) means the deal could still have fallen through as per Musk`s own admission in that announcement and subsequent clarifications later that day. So trading on this information was still not a sure bet, but everyone who did so took that chance. Had Musk gotten shareholder approval only to realize that oral agreement with the PIF did not hold up, would have meant the deal failed on "funding secured". It did not. Musk was "considering" and changed his mind, pulled the proposal. Whether the money was there or not is immaterial as the deal was always subject to "considering" and in the end he decided against it.

You are making the right decision IMHO. I am sitting on half a batch of $300 calls that expire Friday. I sold the first half this morning. I will sell the rest after we see the delivery numbers which I am hoping will top 75,000 and give us another small bump up.

From production hell into production heaven and into delivery hell. Then starts construction hell. Then new production hell. Then new delivery hell. Then profit heaven.

Actually, I only think 'Hell' starts when they scale something by about an order of magnitude.

Simply copying one production line into a second - or copying one whole factory into a second should not in itself cause these challenges.

Unless of course, somewhere further down the line that leads to such an increase - e.g. 100 fold increase in Chinese deliveries after GF3 reaches full capacity. :)

Roll it to another Option that is further out. ~ cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.