Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll personally probably be back in big again shortly before Q3 financials. Only have a small position now. The whole China thing in the report is what really hurt it now short term and the lack of color on profitability in my opinion.

Some investors probably feel the stock is too risky or tainted with further fear of DOJ action against Musk even if it is unlikely. The whole SEC thing scared off some people who were probably happy to just get their money back.

Long term I believe Tesla’s best days are ahead. The overall market doesn’t necessarily agree right now. If Tesla posts a Q3 profit and guides for higher profit in Q4, which I think they will, then we should see some fireworks.

Edit: English fail.
This is similar to my thinking, however I am more optimistic with Q3 numbers and Q4 guidance should be good. Along with possible news on accelerated GF3 timeline could drop any time, stock price would likely hold well until ER or could come down a bit then run up into ER. If someone didn’t take profit above $310 I wouldnt sell here but buying into weakness.

The SEC news were as bad as it got for $tsla (losing Elon), and $260 was as low as it got. The very bottom has been set.

I read Elon letter to employees as they are already profitable for Q3, just pushing a little further. Coupled with Luvb2b spreadsheet, I have zero doubt on profitability.

By the way, Don’t bet against Elon - (Peter Thiel)

Reactions: bdy0627 and dqd88
it’ll blow past 315 when the big boys are damn good and ready to send it there. they have to game the hell out of it first to shake every nickel out of the peons

if you’re concerned, buy an amount you aren’t going to need to cash out in the near term, not an amount that will drive you batshit or that will cause panic/heart attack if it goes down considerably, hold, wait.

i do this..and also have gambled with some options over the years. ive won big and small and lost big and small..(bigger lately)
it’s been a god damn roller coaster this year. i’m fairly young...although at this rate i feel like i’m dead already, but i just haven’t fallen over yet ;)

but honestly, for most, the best is buy an and hold an amount of stock you’re comfortable not needing to touch for some time. build position in tranches. and don’t let the news cycle dictate your investment goals. many here will tell you the same... or like elon says, ‘don’t panic’
I’m kind of an idiot and bought $100k worth of shares at $380 post-halt when he announced the go private deal. I still love Elon but there is no doubt that he misled people and destroyed trust. I’ve been following the stock for a year but the FUD is on another level now. I bought some January calls at the bottom and was actually at breakeven at $315. Wish I cashed out on Monday... I’m only 25 and am starting to see grey hairs lol.

James Murdoch will be chairman in my opinion, and I fully support it. As Tesla becomes a mass market company they need to expand their customer base to include the type of right wing customers who currently hate Tesla. What better way than to make the head of Fox chairman of the board? I don't think many left wingers would care that much since they so enthusiastically support the mission, so the net increase in the customer base would be huge. It will also increase the investor base, especially among institutions who see Tesla leadership as too insular.

Also, how do you think he became a board member in the first place? Elon and the Tesla team obviously know a lot more about him and his character than any of us or he wouldn't be there. Unlike the father James and his wife are well known environmentalists and I believe he genuinely cares about the mission.

In "Today's Sobering News", a report on ongoing climate talks in Incheon, South Korea:

Climate scientists are struggling to find the right words for very bad news

Even if the world converts it's entire fleet of ~1.1 billion actively operating automobiles to electric tomorrow, it might already be too late to stop significant climate change. We have something like a decade to reduce global carbon emissions by around 40% if our goal is merely to keep global warming below 1.5 C which is the threshold set to prevent island nations like Micronesia from drowning in the ocean.

Things are desperate enough that they are talking openly of attempting worldwide carbon sequestration, which no actual technology exists that can do that right now and even if we developed it, we would have to avoid the "Snowpiercer Scenario" where a misguided sequestration resulted in a new Ice Age instead.

Random ironic thought of the day: The movie Snowpiercer was directed by South Korean director Bong Joon-Ho, where these climate talks are currently ongoing.

Hmm. Listened to it. Seemed like one guy who was pretty well informed and another guy who basically took the role of vaguely amusing ignorant doofus. No new information for people who have been paying attention of course.

Even the well informed guy seemed not to know that what triggered Elon's original tweet was likely the Saudi investment news driving the stock price suddenly higher. There was some really stupid speculation as to why he tweeted in the first place. "Rage tweet"? Seriously?

Wow I could barely hang on for 8 quasi well informed minutes. Must have been the absinthe one of them was drinking, and I already forget what the other one had.....and it was only 7 mins ago. Zzzzzzzzzz. Nothing new here but I love that word doofus. Let's bring it back.

Coupled with Luvb2b spreadsheet, I have zero doubt on profitability.
There certainly should be some doubt regarding GAAP profitability. Luvb2b’s sheet only called for something like $50 million in GAAP net profit. That’s less than 1% of revenue and quite slim. This also includes $100 million in ZEV’s which is a wildcard. Also, things like consulting for the go private, attorney fees, additional delivery costs, etc. It’s far from a shoe-in. FCF positive and non-GAAP profit I think are both guaranteed at this point, but irrational exuberance certainly would be unwise in this current climate.

Anyways, I still think TSLA SP is going to the #dearMoon just receiving launch delays, which is quite standard in the rocket biz.

One last unrelated point. I’ve said this for over 4 months now, the short squeeze cannot happen until all the not-a-flamethrowers are delivered, and I highly doubt I’m the only one still awaiting delivery.

I have first hand experience with Chinese EVs and they are, to put it mildly, not a threat. No effective cooling, huge variation in cell quality, can't charge fast during a hot day... Of course with high tariff we can discount demand from China. But as you mentioned they still managed to increase S and X delivery globally despite of the trade war. So it's interesting to see where did they get that extra demand from.

A common complaint about Tesla from Europe is those cars are too big for their road. I think the demand from Europe will be higher than present portions just because model 3 is smaller. And limited charging infrastructure may somewhat negate the price advantage of short range EVs. With LR model 3 probably you only need to charge once per week.

And I don't think demand for high LR model 3 in NA is exhausted. Several of my friends and colleagues are still waiting for their cars. None of them were reservation holders.

At the same time there are production and delivery system improvement done in q3 that would improve their efficiency going forward.

Now I realized that is not a iron clad argument. I just found your estimate overly pessimistic. It's kind hard to believe q3 was their last chance.

... a common complaint about Tesla from Europe is those cars are too big for their road....

Well to be direct, thats simply not true. Tesla's are in size not larger than other cars here. Its also not an issue at all in small city streets here. Don't know here this view is coming from. Never heard that complaint from anybody driving the S and X in Europe.

... a common complaint about Tesla from Europe is those cars are too big for their road....

Well to be direct, thats simply not true. Tesla's are in size not larger than other cars here. Its also not an issue at all in small city streets here. Don't know here this view is coming from. Never heard that complaint from anybody driving the S and X in Europe.
Multiple posts on this very thread said that. Also the fully charged show had the same complaint

Here was one quaint comment.
TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

The SEC news were as bad as it got for $tsla (losing Elon), and $260 was as low as it got. The very bottom has been set.

"Losing Elon" as CEO is apparently is not as scary as the CEO taking a half-hearted toke from a blunt:

MMD on Sep 7 was $252.25
low on Sep 28 was $260. 56

capture_002_07092018_181852.png

I’m kind of an idiot and bought $100k worth of shares at $380 post-halt when he announced the go private deal. I still love Elon but there is no doubt that he misled people and destroyed trust. I’ve been following the stock for a year but the FUD is on another level now. I bought some January calls at the bottom and was actually at breakeven at $315. Wish I cashed out on Monday... I’m only 25 and am starting to see grey hairs lol.
Awww such a nice story

My ques is - how do you have 100k to throw at TSLA at the age of 25? You're already way ahead

There certainly should be some doubt regarding GAAP profitability. Luvb2b’s sheet only called for something like $50 million in GAAP net profit. That’s less than 1% of revenue and quite slim. This also includes $100 million in ZEV’s which is a wildcard. Also, things like consulting for the go private, attorney fees, additional delivery costs, etc. It’s far from a shoe-in. FCF positive and non-GAAP profit I think are both guaranteed at this point, but irrational exuberance certainly would be unwise in this current climate.

Anyways, I still think TSLA SP is going to the #dearMoon just receiving launch delays, which is quite standard in the rocket biz.

One last unrelated point. I’ve said this for over 4 months now, the short squeeze cannot happen until all the not-a-flamethrowers are delivered, and I highly doubt I’m the only one still awaiting delivery.
I think Luvb2b's estimate is conservative, and I am confident that Elon & Deepak know how to control cost to work in favor of their guidance. we'll have to see about this after ER.
Whether they are off a few millions or not, my point is that the main short thesis will be destroyed at Q3 ER with FCF/non-GAAP profit, most likely GAAP profit, and increased Q4 production/GAAP profit guidance. Tesla has never been in a better position than today's.
here're the important luvb2b numbers again - no longer looks like a company that's in financial trouble:
Quater....................:........Q4.................Q3
net change in cash: 541,493...........632,190
cash & eq start:..........2,868,614........2,236,424
cash & eq end

Last edited:
No, you are not an idiot.

I was on the other side of that trade. I took naked shorts just under 380 and covered them today (still have puts). But in this case, you are not a fool.

Elon lied. Read the SEC complaint. He flat-out lied. And a key part of Elon's settlement is that he's not allowed to refute the SEC's case.

In US markets, when a CEO makes a claim like that, it's believable. Imagine a tech startup CEO announcing they'd received an acquisition offer that didn't exist in writing yet. It's just absurd. You don't screw around with these announcements and proceedings like a multi-billion equity purchase. You don't nonchalantly tease it on Twitter. And his best defense was that he had a verbal offer? That's not how this works...

You should join the lawsuits. What Elon did caused you damages, and you have a legitimate legal case. Sign up for one of the class actions.
so you did take my advice and cover. Good for you! any plan to sell the puts too or holding it through ER?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.