Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can they make Jerome chairman for 3 years while keeping what he's doing currently?

Jerome does not qualify as "independent."

Chairman must be independent per settlement with SEC.

The only power the Chairman has over regular board members is the power to call emergency meetings.

And he can go on TV with the title of Chairman/Chairwoman I guess.

Moving Murdoch from regular board member to Chair is not that big a deal.

Or move Linda Johnson Rice to Chairwoman.

All the while nobody senior thought of verifying the true progress of the Gigafactory battery pack subcontractor's significant software development work but relied on the (as it turned out false or misleading) progress reports ...

I have wondered about this for a year. Do you have any references, or any other insights you can share regarding the contractors promises, and failure to deliver? Cheers!

Americans complaining about high gas prices LOL

What is the cost/kwh for electricity in other countries? American EV drivers save a lot versus ICE fuel costs. I imagine the fuel savings in Canada/Europe is much higher. Which makes me think market share in those countries could grow much faster than in the US...

What is the cost/kwh for electricity in other countries? American EV drivers save a lot versus ICE fuel costs. I imagine the fuel savings in Canada/Europe is much higher. Which makes me think market share in those countries could grow much faster than in the US...

Our commercial / wholesale electricity is super-cheap, but our retail electricity is similar in price to that in the US. But versus our $8+/gal gasoline prices.... ;)

Oh, and while most cars have about 30-40% taxes on them, EVs have none.

Jerome does not qualify as "independent."

Chairman must be independent per settlement with SEC.

The only power the Chairman has over regular board members is the power to call emergency meetings.

And he can go on TV with the title of Chairman/Chairwoman I guess.

Moving Murdoch from regular board member to Chair is not that big a deal.

Or move Linda Johnson Rice to Chairwoman.
No one seemed too interested in my suggestion but the more I think about it the more I like it. John Chambers, former chairman and ceo of Cisco. He lives right by Palo Alto headquarters. Here’s an excerpt from anFox Business article on his book he just put out a couple weeks ago, “
Former Cisco Systems Chairman and CEO John Chambers is opening the safe to reveal the secrets behind his leadership success.

In his latest book, "Connecting the Dots," Chambers says one of the key fundamental principles for every company is to make changes as it leads.

"Leadership, it doesn't matter if you are a two person company or 200,000, it's lonely at times, and you have to have the courage to make the right decision for your company for the long term," Chambers told FOX Business' Liz Claman on Tuesday.”

I received an email from estimize.com asking for an entry into their crowd-sourced earnings estimate for TSLA. When I tried to add an estimate using approximate revenue and eps from luv's modeling, it told me that my estimate was too far out of their expected range and wouldn't be counted Try for yourself. TSLA - Tesla Inc. Crowdsourced Earnings Estimates - Estimize

All this speculation about 5400 a week or 3800 a week plus how many Model S/X is fun to watch.
But look at the rate of change over time....the ramp..it is unprecedented.

The refinement of the process is unending. The new battery module line will be three times faster and three times cheaper...ect..ect.

Innovation baby innovation.

if somebody is too lazy to check that "injuries reports" are false, if somebody is too lazy to make a simple phonecall and ask about relevance of a "15 min fame" individual to the rescue (simple people did and got all necessary info in 10 min, granted knowing tai).
A number of years ago Bloomberg I believe started to pay journalists for "moving stock". Now it is the norm everywhere.
The journalists don't believe what they write, and politicians don't believe what they say. They write or say the things they believe are useful for them.
Not for you.
I agree when you look at a specific report you wonder what the reporter was really up to. Esp. from outside US, I can imagine the reports get sloppier & sloppier. That is still not the same as a lie.

If you want to see lies, checkout Murdoch empire newspapers. Checkout shade websites. There is a difference between them & NYTs of the world.

BTW, if anyone sees gross inaccuracies in a report, we should tweet that out at the reporter in question. We can get them to change. I've seen this happen a lot in the last year or so. Something we couldn't do earlier.

Of all the bloggers, vloggers and podcasters, these guys are my fave. They produce a podcast infrequently nowadays but for those that don't know about them (Silicon Valley developers):
96 – Going Private, Staying Public, SEC Settlement
Hmm. Listened to it. Seemed like one guy who was pretty well informed and another guy who basically took the role of vaguely amusing ignorant doofus. No new information for people who have been paying attention of course.

Even the well informed guy seemed not to know that what triggered Elon's original tweet was likely the Saudi investment news driving the stock price suddenly higher. There was some really stupid speculation as to why he tweeted in the first place. "Rage tweet"? Seriously?

Your units are a bit wonky, as well. Battery production should be measured in units of energy - GWh/hour or GWh/year. At no point is it correct to refer to battery production in GW, since that is a unit of power.
That used to bother me too, but simplifying GWh/hour begets GW (h=hour). Just saying. If someone does say GW for manufacturing capacity or run rate, the conversion to make it compliant is simply to put some time units back: GW -> GWh/hour. One can then convert the denominator and numerator as needed, such as /year or /quarter. You are right that a GW is a power measurement and GWh is a capacity measurement, and specifying a quantity of GWh per time would yield a capacity per time measurement which is not directly power, however, it is an error that is easy to correct. Because it is slightly incorrect to omit the h/h units as you point out, it should also spur the query if they meant GW or GWh, and if they meant GWh, per what unit (h, day, year, etc.); we could hear of people omitting way too many units and saying "xGW" for a GWh/year measurement that is completely different than GW by any measure.

I only say all this because I half expect Elon to use a W unit for his GigaFactory, really annoying both of us.

I agree when you look at a specific report you wonder what the reporter was really up to. Esp. from outside US, I can imagine the reports get sloppier & sloppier. That is still not the same as a lie.

If you want to see lies, checkout Murdoch empire newspapers. Checkout shade websites. There is a difference between them & NYTs of the world.

BTW, if anyone sees gross inaccuracies in a report, we should tweet that out at the reporter in question. We can get them to change. I've seen this happen a lot in the last year or so. Something we couldn't do earlier.
What really bothers me is not the article, but the headline. Most of the articles I've read in papers and news sites have accurate information in the article itself, but the accompanying headline is grossly inaccurate. For instance the headlines for several articles about the SEC agreement made it seem that Elon was removed entirely from running Tesla when nothing could be further from the truth! Now I do see totally inaccurate conclusions and FUD on opinion pieces such as those featured on SA more than any other. But I would expect articles reporting facts in publications like the WSJ and NYT to also have headlines that reflect those facts and more and more they read like the National Enquirer. And that pisses me off like a fair thee well because that's all that many people look at. Those are the publications that I would like to see called out for their misleading titles.

Last edited:
I received an email from estimize.com asking for an entry into their crowd-sourced earnings estimate for TSLA. When I tried to add an estimate using approximate revenue and eps from luv's modeling, it told me that my estimate was too far out of their expected range and wouldn't be counted Try for yourself. TSLA - Tesla Inc. Crowdsourced Earnings Estimates - Estimize

Just wait, when it comes out at those same levels in the ER, it’ll be called a miss, based on some estimate aggregator nobody has ever heard of.

No one seemed too interested in my suggestion but the more I think about it the more I like it. John Chambers, former chairman and ceo of Cisco. He lives right by Palo Alto headquarters. Here’s an excerpt from anFox Business article on his book he just put out a couple weeks ago, “
Former Cisco Systems Chairman and CEO John Chambers is opening the safe to reveal the secrets behind his leadership success.

In his latest book, "Connecting the Dots," Chambers says one of the key fundamental principles for every company is to make changes as it leads.

"Leadership, it doesn't matter if you are a two person company or 200,000, it's lonely at times, and you have to have the courage to make the right decision for your company for the long term," Chambers told FOX Business' Liz Claman on Tuesday.”

Agreed, suggested same many pages ago.

Reactions: oneday

More often than not, inside the articles, the words are all technically correct, but are structured to be misleading(by leaving out context, putting unrelated facts together to make them seem connected, using weasel words, putting “expert” commentary on a tangential subject out of context with the actual point they’re trying to make, etc). I’ve learned of late to read articles from these publications VERY critically. Because quite a lot of the time, what they’re saying isn’t what you’re led to believe they’re saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.