Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: By the way, for years, I've put him in the top 4 of cleantech communication. It is not at all a coincidence that he has been smeared more than Elon, who I also put in the top 4.
It was Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth that was a wake up call to a lot of us on dangers of Climate Change.

One thing a lot of people don't know is, Al Gore studied under Roger Revelle, one of the pioneers in the study of anthropogenic global warming. So, for Gore, climate change was not some political calculation, but was genuine interest - and like for anyone who is remotely interested in this stuff, alarming.

Elon Musk on Twitter

"It is time to create a mecha"

Interpretation: Mecha = Mecca. Which is in Saudi Arabia. Time to create a renewable energy Mecca in SA.

100 billion energy deal confirmed.

Only sort of joking

Nah, I think Elon's had enough and he's about to reveal Teslagodzilla! Time to **** up the shorty-shorts' ****

latest

Just a mere optical illusion!

Sinking Ship Effect

As the ship gets further away and its apparent size decreases, the hull blends in with the waters - an effect amplified by waves which are closer to the observer and thus having a larger apparent size than the distant ship.

(Surely you realize that nobody in this thread actually thinks the world is flat!)
Your small print isn't working.

It is a self-reported not statistically significant data set - and it means nothing.

Couple of examples. In the early days of MyNissanLeaf, more than 50% of Leaf owners (and waiters) were members of the forum. A little later the % became smaller & smaller - and we could no longer figure out what the larger Leaf owner group felt by looking at the MNL comments.

Even more interesting is this - there was a spreadsheet someone had prior to Model 3 bookings opening. In my area (Bellevue, WA) there were some 10 people who said they will wait in line to reserve. Believing it o be somewhat accurate, I casually went to the mall 10 minutes before the start time. The line covered half the mall and I was 600 or so in line.

I disagree about it meaning nothing. The October new configuration count is now up to 24 as of the 13th. Only 1 additional prior reservation holder vs. 5 new non-reservation customers. This brings the totals to 3 out of 24 orders being prior reservation holders, or about 13%. Although not having many data points, this is still a ratio of a subset of a population that is holding at a fairly stable level.

Regardless of the possibility that people can no longer be bothered to take the time to update a spreadsheet and therefore the absolute number no longer properly correlating to new orders, the fact that there are new customers entering data at a much greater rate than Tesla fans than enrolled long ago cannot be discounted.

Either there is a huge influx of new interest in Model 3s or the backlog of prior potential orders is almost entirely gone for the LR RWD, AWD, and Performance versions.

For example everyone knows it for a fact that Al Gore claimed that he invented the Internet, right?

That claim never happened, it's a 100% smear.

Popular vote winner Al Gore very likely would have made a fantastic president, unlike the smirking guy selected by the Supreme Court.
I'm not really a Cher fan, but it would be nice if we could turn back time...

I can't count the differences now if Gore would have won... No Iraq war for sure and heck, we made have even made a considerable dent in the Federal debt!

But until Elon invents that device, we'll never know. That is unless he already has...

No, it is not. And this has nothing to do with "ideology". I recommend reading the IPCC reports and spending some time on scholar.google.com. Certain types of management can lead to temporary net sequestration (such as reducing grazing of overgrazed fields) or displacing other inputs (such as grazing cover crops on fallow fields), but even ignoring that low-carbon management techniques also tend to be lower density, in the long term all forms of grazing are significant GHG sources. Ignoring the issues of how overgrazing (which is extensive worldwide) depletes carbon from soils, and the (extensive) amount of forest land that has been lost for cattle pasture, cattle are at a fundamental level ruminants. They're extensive sources of methane, which has a GWP of 86 over 20 years and 34 over 100 years. By grazing cattle on grassland, you increase the amount of carbon that ends up as methane rather than CO2.

We're getting well off topic here but ...

I've wondered for a while if anyone has tried to raise cattle indoor in a sealed environment, you could perhaps even build a multi-story facility to maximize land area usage (and let the offset in land area be replaced with nature). Of course it would be energy intensive but as long as you could guarantee that all the energy was clean (solar/wind/etc) then that just affects the price of the resulting cattle products. Separate the methane from the atmosphere and it can be sold for industrial processes and such that may not lead to it being released into the atmosphere - perhaps even burn it at the facility to get CO2 and water and feed this back into the artificial environment (need a correct ratio of plants to cattle for the CO2 uptake of course). Managing the environment would end up being not unlike large scale (colony, not merely exploration) habitat management for orbit/Moon/Mars, could lead to some interesting solutions.

It would almost certainly cost astronomically more than traditional cattle farming, but you could charge a premium to some extent. And I'm not sure if there's a clean and/or contained method of processing hide into leather (at a higher cost, naturally), so it might be only a partial solution - but synthetic "vegan" leather is good enough for most of us, the rich can afford to pay exorbitant costs for "clean(ish) leather" if they want it.

But perhaps combined with sufficiently convincing meat substitutes (whether they be vegan or some kind of vat grown thing), perhaps we could greatly reduce the impact of cattle on the environment. The rich can afford to pay any price for "real meat", and the rest of us can get by with convincing substitutes once we get there (if it's indistinguishable from the "real thing", it's good enough). Once those two things are possible (convincing fakes and clean if expensive real meat) then restrict traditional methods accordingly to scale back the impact of cattle.

Reactions: wipster and ZsoZso
While I completely believe in climate change I do not follow the no meat false narrative. It’s used to turn people away from climate change reality. Most of what they argue MUST fall on to the problem we have with how we harvest the meat and process the product. Much like how Tesla’s are currently charged and produced. They are not charged and produced solely off green methods. The “process” to make a Tesla is still dirty and the processing of a cow is still dirty. Both can be cleaned up. Using dead skin to cover things can probably go away.

With proper logic it is simple to conclude that people can still eat meat without all the non-meat eaters grabbing climate change to push their religious beliefs that eating meat is evil and/or bad.

Now if you want to push the argument that all grazing animals produce climate changing effects thru their digestive process.... well then I guess we should wipe them all out across the earth. That will leave lots of meat to eat but hey.... that seems to be what that group wants. I don’t believe in that either but that’s the step that would need to be taken if you follow that argument.

Oh and while we are bringing cows, bison, and all other grazers to extinction we might as well start culling humans. That would reduce climate change as well.

OR! We can stop digging up huge amounts of carbon and burning it off into our atmosphere. MAYBE we could at least try that.
In terms of GHGs, the problem isn't all the feral grazing animals, it's the 2+ billion domesticated grazing animals we raise for meaty meatness. Responsibly hunting feral ruminants is fine, irresponsibly raising billions of them isn't.

Or the best evidence: the sun, itself. All flat earth models I’ve seen require that the sun be a spotlight pointing down. It that were the case, the sun wouldn’t set the way it does. It would become elliptical, flattening until it disappears entirely without ever going down past the horizon.

Well, also the whole "Why is it daylight at my buddy's place over in the U.S., while here in Europe it's night already" set of problems with time zones as well... ;)

Reactions: Artful Dodger
While I completely believe in climate change I do not follow the no meat false narrative. It’s used to turn people away from climate change reality.

If we accept that our climate reality is related to our energy energy use and we want to solve that problem from more levels then just how we transport ourselves or light our homes. Then, from a food perspective, first principles seem to tell we should eat as low as reasonably possible in the food chain to increase overall efficiency on that level.

When organisms are consumed, 10% of the energy in the food is fixed into their flesh and is available for next trophic level (carnivores or omnivores). When a carnivore or an omnivore consumes that animal, only about 10% of energy is fixed in its flesh for the higher level.

Ecological efficiency - Wikipedia

I've wondered for a while if anyone has tried to raise cattle indoor in a sealed environment, you could perhaps even build a multi-story facility to maximize land area usage (and let the offset in land area be replaced with nature).

Yeah, the "Valles Marineris Ribeye Steak" is going to be an export hit - because cattle can in fact be raised on Mars and transported back to Earth cheaper than it can be raised on Earth, due to the punitive greenhouse tariffs on cattle on Earth, and the greenhouse gases incentives on Mars, where they need all the extra methane for their rocket fuel they can get, and any excessive production of methane goes straight into the Martian atmosphere, to generate as much greenhouse warming as possible.

Bio-engineered Martian cattle are grown with no brains whatsoever (they have a NeuraLink interface and are entirely computer controlled by Tesla AI supercomputers) - while the resulting meat is 100% genetically identical with original beef. This patented cattle raising technique gained even PETA approval and is considered fully vegan.

The recent 10-year exclusive beef supply contract McDonalds signed with Musk Industries doubled the size of the Martian beef market.

The wonderfully intertwined supply chains of interplanetary economics! :D

(Sorry about this, I'll show myself out.)

Last edited:
While I completely believe in climate change I do not follow the no meat false narrative. It’s used to turn people away from climate change reality. Most of what they argue MUST fall on to the problem we have with how we harvest the meat and process the product. Much like how Tesla’s are currently charged and produced. They are not charged and produced solely off green methods. The “process” to make a Tesla is still dirty and the processing of a cow is still dirty. Both can be cleaned up.
Cows disagree Flatulent cows cause methane explosion at German dairy farm that nearly takes off entire barn roof | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.