Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One way I attempt to assess how Tesla feels about their cash position is tracking progress with the supercharger network. Superchargers are important to Tesla's long-term strategy, but in the short term Tesla can ramp up or down spending on them based on how much money needs to be directed to more pressing priorities. First comes permits; then construction lags permits; then open superchargers lags construction. The main spending comes during construction and leading up to opening.

It's possible there might be some more supercharger updates "today", but I need to go to bed, so I'm going to call this good enough.

upload_2018-10-15_0-49-2.png

Notes: The graph is stacked. Supercharger closures (relatively uncommon) are subtracted from openings. Note the subtitle on the above graph: there's three ticks for each quarter, and they show different periods in the quarter (nonlinear). You'll note that usually the third tick - the last two weeks of the quarter - sees a big uptick in superchargers opening.

Note the huge upsurge in permits, construction and openings that happened during the optimistic days of Q3 2017 before "production hell" turned out to be more apt than expected. This was followed by a general downward trend. Q3 2018 started with the completion of a lot of work from Q2 finishing but relatively little new after that.

The interesting aspect to direct one's attention to is the number of permit applications so far in the first two weeks of Q4 2018. Its huge - 5,5 per week, 11 total. The only examined timeperiod that exceeded this was the last two weeks of Q3 2017, at 6,5 permits per week. From all appearances, Tesla is getting ready to have a significant expansion in their Supercharger buildout this quarter. This in turn argues for Tesla considering itself as having a strong cash position; if they felt they would be cutting it close on profit in Q4, one wouldn't expect such a large expansion in permit applications.

Could this just be noise? Coincidence? Certainly. And for that reason, I plan to - as always - keep an eye on how progress on the Supercharger network continues. But for now, signs are very promising for Q4.

that was sweet - one half of my Wife's Model S FREE.

Bought 500 TSLA 9/7 $262.78 - sold 9/17 $301.00 - $19,110 -

Bought 500 TSLA 9/28 $260.65 sold 10/1 $304.11 - $21,730

$40,840

Cost $92,230

Fed rebate: ($7500)

Stock profit ($40,840)

Net cost $43,890. Pretty good for a Model S

I should prob do it again . . .
I suppose you've somehow figured out a way not to pay taxes on those capital gains? If not, your stock profit has to be reduced by at least $8K. Quite a bit more if you pay CA state taxes. Still a win of course....

Lol you think a hurricane is proof of climate change? Last i saw in those videos of destruction the coastline is still there, just fine (not underwater)....just alot of wind damage. Don't worry, I know the next response will be "the warm oceans" cause more severe hurricanes...etc etc.....on it goes with the end of the world climate exagerations. Okay I'm heading back to my financial TSLA stock analysis.
Another on the ignore list...you deny Climate change...you are in same class as flat earther's...I ignore you

Actually I disagree with this. If you personally think a quarter went well but the market vehemently disagrees you are probably wrong. I have 15 years of obsessive experience with Netflix and I know it like the back of my hand. Tesla is the first company I have found that is sufficiently interesting to dislodge my obsession with neflix.

That being said, I know that linking the two is rather irrational and I make no excuses about that.

Curious about your obsession drivers...... 15 years is a long time to be unseated.

Reactions: OnBass
Curious about your obsession drivers...... 15 years is a long time to be unseated.

Netflix is simply reaching maturity. I wouldn't expect much more than 15% annualized on a sustained basis from here. So Tesla at 50b$ vs Netflix at 150b$ currently but by 2030 I expect Tesla to be larger.

I think there is a fairly material chance that tsla grows to 4x price to sales by that June deadline. That's basically 2x p/s being 20 p/e on 10% net profit longterm and then a 2x multiple for that based on growth prospects exceeding 30% annum for a long stretch of time. Revenue on 2019 is 30b$ approx. This could be a 120b$ market cap stock in 2019. The main motive factors are gross margin on 35k$ and china tariff. I am optimistic the China dispute settles. I think competitors will be stuck chasing their tales, whatever plan they come up with becomes wrong half way through implementing it. There is a decent chance the 35k$ model literally becomes a 1m/year type product. It absorbs demand from adjacent directions because it is such a unique product that analogies to existing models like the BMW 3 may be flat wrong.

Or it might not.. but all bets are mathematical expectation.

Sounds like Autopilot v9 might be a huge breakthrough.

I didn’t follow a lot of this post by @jimmy_d , but it seems like Tesla has pulled off a technological coup with camera agnostic processing.

Neural Networks

Thanks for cross-posting this. This seems more than just some gradual NN improvement. This seems like an order of magnitude or more improvement, and also seems to blow anything else on the market out of the water.

This is a really big achievement Tesla has unlocked. Way to go Karpathy and team!

Netflix is simply reaching maturity. I wouldn't expect much more than 15% annualized on a sustained basis from here. So Tesla at 50b$ vs Netflix at 150b$ currently but by 2030 I expect Tesla to be larger.

There is a decent chance the 35k$ model literally becomes a 1m/year type product. It absorbs demand from adjacent directions because it is such a unique product that analogies to existing models like the BMW 3 may be flat wrong.

Or it might not.. but all bets are mathematical expectation.
Agree with these points, and they make any math unnecessary

Also like the fact this is your post number 42.

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 9.28.59 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.