Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize Tesla is only about cars (right or should I say left), but this is apparently off the radar or shortsighted.

Tesla deploys new Powerpack project that could save Colorado ratepayers $1 million per year

Sorry, my wife allowed me out of the basement a few minutes too long:) Oh well, if this has already been posted cool, if not, maybe you’ll get a charge out of it ~ if you live in Colorado. For the rest of us, we’ll maybe it will spark a growing interest in Tesla:) Please have a better day than expected:)

Obviously, any post one makes becomes immediately invalidated as time passes. ;) But there was a short period where the stock was up, right around the open. Previous close was 258.78, open was 259.06, daily high was 259.65.

Oh, and just so I can prove that it went back above zero... ;)

upload_2018-10-15_13-52-24.png

Definitely doing better than the macros today.

Last edited:
Latest CleanTechnica #Pravduh analysis of media coverage of Tesla:

Tesla Wins In Safety & Sales, Yet Headlines Mostly Negative — #Pravduh Report 6 | CleanTechnica

Week-6-Results-by-week-1.png

The fraction of negative coverage was significantly down last week (even falling below neutral coverage for the first time). Although it's IMHO interesting to note how changes in negative coverage correspond to overall coverage; negative coverage is the dominant factor in determining total coverage. One IMHO reasonable interpretation would be that people predisposed to write negatively about Tesla don't switch to writing positively when news about the company is good - they simply stop writing.

Slowly but Surely, looks like these guys (MSM) are getting held accountable .. and the FUD tactics will not work .. great job by cleantechnica

FWIW, Elon tweeted, then deleted, something about a Tinker’s debt last night. Here’s some info about this (I’m guessing it might be relevant to the tweet): Tinker

Here’s the poem from the link:

A tinker’s debt is always paid:
Once for any simple trade.
Twice for freely-given aid.
Thrice for any insult made.

I think Elon was simply being whimsical again.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Why when I do a yahoo quote for TSLA and scroll down to the news, does it have almost all up to date articles that are just a few hours old, and then this Quartz hit piece that has been at the top every single day, despite being 11 days old? Is it just maybe a cookie that got set for me, or is it like this for everyone?

upload_2018-10-15_10-11-55.png

still no strength in the general market though :(

I'm not sure why that's supposed to be of concern for a supply-limited company like Tesla. If the market goes down:

* Tesla's demand-limited customers suffer (losing market share to Tesla). Tesla keeps selling just as many vehicles.
* Tesla's raw materials, parts and transport get cheaper.
* Labour shortages diminish
* In a bad recession, there's increased odds of federal stimulus spending, which can take the form of loans to companies which can transform that money into jobs (something Tesla can most definitely do).

Picked up some more shares at 257. Did of course not hit the (as of now) days low, but still...

And as a follow up on the "mini-tender offer scheme": An executive director of the bank called and explained why the offer was treated the way it has. They also thought the offer is ridiculous and borderline and reached out to FINMA (the Swiss equivalent to SEC) to inquire if they could chose to whom the offer would be sent. The answer was a clear NO, so they were basically forced to do so. FINMA apparently thinks it's in every customers best interest to have access to such brilliant offerings...The banks law team / compliance had a debate whether customers should be informed of the risks involved, but voted against it. The offer was apparently quite a theme, and not only at his institute.

The avoidance of in depth news on a large scale, as I describe below, absolutely affects TSLA market action!

An open letter to the New York Times, and other legacy news sources:

Once upon a time, you stood for something more: Integrity. Honesty. Authenticity. Disclosure. TRUTH.

You have lost a good portion of this in our modern age. I want it back. Others want it back.

A Challenge: There is a monumentally huge story to be told right now, and it's not being told by the larger news sources, like the NYT. Please. Tell it.

Why is it that an upstart AMERICAN car company, in business for barely 10 years, can come along in the 3rd quarter of 2018, and surpass the sales and US market share of a colossal behemoth like Mercedes-Benz, and it does not hit the front pages of your newspaper, or at least the front page of your business section, and include in depth investigative reporting as to how this could have happened, and what is going on?

Yes, really! This has occurred!

You, and the other legacy news organizations in the country have a massive story before you, and you are giving it the print space of a footnote.

A paradigm shift of epic proportions is occurring, and its story is begging to be told. Please. Tell it. Or, tell us why not!

Not only are American car manufacturers avoiding the shift from internal combustion engine drive trains to superior electric ones, but so are ALL the major car manufacturers from Germany, Japan, and Korea as well (China on the other hand, has taken the ball and is running with it). And no; we don't accept the token attempts by these makers at putting out space age looking concept cars, which show no signs of actually being produced for the market any time soon, as proof that they are stepping forward into the present reality. They do not want to make this transition. It is very clear. And there are very good reasons that this is the case. This is your story's material element! Tell it!

With massively locked up assets; in the form of equipment designed to produce certain kinds of drive trains, and capital invested in this equipment that will take many years to recoup, these entities simply cannot afford to drop their profitable products and make and offer others on a scale as large as would be necessary to succeed. Stranded assets!

And with an archaic dealership model that these manufacturers see no way to extricate themselves from, they are trapped!

If this is not the case, then I challenge you to speak to just what it is that is holding these companies back. After all; if Tesla has surpassed the 2018 3rd quarter sales of a company like Mercedes-Benz, then why wouldn't others want to jump on the reasons for this success as well? I'm telling you; there's a story here, and it's a big one!

I, along with many others, suspect that this story is not getting the attention it deserves because of YOU. You see, YOU are also trapped in the historic cage of reasoning that affects the automobile manufacturers. YOU are also threatened by this paradigm shift! Oh yes, you are! It's boldly plain to see.

ADVERTISING! You depend upon it for your very survival! And who are your advertisers? Well, right at the top of the list I see it's AUTOMOBILE COMPANIES! They pay you, and the rest of our legacy media billions of dollars a year for advertising their products! And they have been doing this for over a hundred years! Yes. And you need them. Can you see where I'm going with this? YOU are trapped as well. And you know it!

I know this challenge will go unanswered for now. But change has a way of happening; one way or another.This story is being told by the newer, smaller players in the media world. Those who are not entrenched with the older, monied interests. Your industry is being rebuilt, and joined by newer players who don't have the ball and chain of legacy around their necks, holding them back. And like Tesla in the 3rd quarter of 2018, in time they will one by one overtake the historic news makers, and reach larger and larger audiences with the full stories of our times that need to be told.

Change is upon us. What an exciting time to be alive!
Thanks. This made me think about something. The news media are not actually trapped! The car companies can't stop advertising even if the media turned against them, because the first one to reduce ad spend would tank in comparison to its rivals. The media could actually write the truth, support the environment, do good for the country (had to throw that in) and it wouldn't hurt them. Well, until the traditional car companies go bankwupt, but that will happen anyway.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Why when I do a yahoo quote for TSLA and scroll down to the news, does it have almost all up to date articles that are just a few hours old, and then this Quartz hit piece that has been at the top every single day, despite being 11 days old? Is it just maybe a cookie that got set for me, or is it like this for everyone?

View attachment 344052

Obviously paid by GM.

Also that ranking is ridiculous. Tesla’s autopilot is order of magnitude better, performance wise and technology wise. Just my opinion. I don’t know what’s going on with CR.

Obviously paid by GM.

Also that ranking is ridiculous. Tesla’s autopilot is order of magnitude better, performance wise and technology wise. Just my opinion. I don’t know what’s going on with CR.

Read the CR report. They did rate AP as the most capable system they tested. But that was only one category out of four ("Capability & Performance"). The other three were basically just different measures of how effectively the system nags you ("Ease of Use", "Clear When Safe To Use", "Keeping Driver Engaged", "Unresponsive Driver"). Tesla also got the best score in "Ease of Use", but only Cadillac scored well in "Keeping Driver Engaged" (eye tracking), and Tesla scored average in "Unresponsive Driver".

To put it another way: you could get a perfect score in all CR categories except one by making a system which does nothing at all and cannot be turned on in any situation. It's a pretty flawed rating system (they couldn't even engage SuperCruise at all on their test track, yet it "won"), and reminds me strongly of this:

tornadoguard.png

Last edited:
i got a question,

Does the earnings report have to be announced ?

or is it possible to drop the bombshell as soon as the report is finished and have a earningscall on a later date ?
If you watch carefully, earnings always gets leaked in some way prior to announcement. I call it the "wife of Tesla c-level employee does yoga with the wife of a hegde-fund manager" factor.

Very occasionally, reading things and making up your own mind can have it's advantages... you know, like independent thought. :)

CR actually rated the Tesla Auto Pilot as better than Cadillac's for performance and ease of use (ranked 1st in fact). However they put more weighting on safety than other factors, and only Cadillac has a system for monitoring driver alertness and awareness by using the internal camera. I think it's almost inevitable that Tesla will do the same thing someday, and we'll probably be happy about that.

Regardless, the fact that so many headlines reflected their ranking, just goes to show that Tesla is the de-facto company to beat when it comes to autonomous driving. It's a bit like when an Android phone has one better feature than the iPhone... it's headlines everywhere.

Oh - it's worth knowing that to spec the Cadillac CT6 to get the same features as the AWD Tesla with EAP, you have to spend $85k - even that actually doesn't give you the same power as a fully loaded M3P+ despite being more expensive. Just something to bear in mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.