Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone interprets news through their own lens until that viewpoint is no longer viable. So bears are interpreting this as things like "demand flagging", "FSD failing", etc, just as we interpret it as things like "margins soaring", "cash position good enough to not need to discount FSD with preorders", etc.
Honestly though it feels as if some large institution is suppressing the price to gobble up more. The price action is almost predictable. Sell at open, buy 3 hours later. Every single day.

Reactions: bdy0627
Nube comment. Seeking to learn...
The stock seems to go through a daily cycle where it gets hammered hard every 20 mins or so for the first two hours, then quietly bought up again in the afternoon. So unless there's a good news event, it finishes down. I've tried trading on the daily cycle, hoping to make them pay for their disregard for progress, but meagre winnings get eaten by commissions.
Anybody out there beating the shorts on the daily downswing?
Observing patterns like this can make you a little money, but you have to follow the trend do to it, which means being short TSLA. The problem is that when it rises, you can/will then lose bigly. Buy and hold.

TMC is to Bulls what SA is to Bears: an echo chamber. It's definitely not the place for "the most accurate" information if there is such a thing. It's best to read about a dozen individuals who have a proven track record while avoiding those who only post in one direction like the plague.

For example, most here are celebrating mid-range, while avoiding to note the margin impact. If it's such great news, why isn't the stock up 10 percent pre-market from a supposed "local low?" The fact is that Tesla lowered the entry price of Model 3 by $4,000, but it's not certain that the cost of producing it dropped by a corresponding amount * (1 - target margin). On the other hand, higher volume will improve fixed asset depreciation and labor cost absorption. The net effect is anybody's guess at this point.

It is the place for the most accurate information. You just simply need to change your list of who you read because the effect of mid-range has already been discussed in great detail and continues to be discussed.

I saw all the posts you and your buddy disagreed with yesterday and I’m not just talking mine. But that does beg the question, why am I, a vigilante per you, on your list of a dozen individuals? And why are all those others you disagreed with (way more than a dozen) on your reading list here in the echo chamber?

But more on topic. You asked the question why the stock isn’t up 10% on the mid-range news and then proceeded to answer that question; as the net effect is anybody’s guess at this point. Welcome to TSLA. You now have a full understanding.

As I look at it, we weren't expecting ANY lower cost car for many months, because the demand and delivery of the HIGHER priced cars was strong enough to fill ALL that Tesla could produce.

We already know cells and motors are bottlenecks at this point. You can say they don't have enough demand for LR RWD to match the demand of AWD for an optimal mix in their current production capabilities. Now that is VERY different from just lack of demand.

it is IMHO MOST likely that this is the same battery pack, n

There are two sources from Tesla, one of them being Elon Musk himself, saying this is NOT the case.

Well, he did not say the lemur was secured...

image5.jpg

LEMUR has been SECURED !

No need to construct a contradiction in my arguments. In that case there is none. You know other cars still exist and sell for a profit. Even cars that are un-like a Model 3.

So you're saying others are perfectly OK with their own space and nobody is interested eating others lunch.

I found that really really hard to believe in the highly competitive industry

Add to that that it is IMHO MOST likely that this is the same battery pack, not just the same size and shape but with the same cells.

That would not make any sense at all if the cell production is currently constrained.

Elon Musk on Twitter
It’s a long range battery with fewer cells. Non-cell portion of the pack is disproportionately high, but we can get it done now instead of ~February

To me the "low LR demand in NA" does not make sense for a couple of reasons.
  • If LR demand was falling off the cliff, the last thing they would do is make it even more expensive. By mandating AWD they did just that.
  • If LR demand in NA was a problem, they could open up Europe a few months early. I don't think the homologization process is a real issue and it also seems like Tilburg already has the facilities. They may need to accelerate staffing though. Still Europe is a huge untapped market for the Model 3. If they started delivering early, people would storm the gates. Especially in countries where incentives are in danger of running out by the time Model 3 arrives.
It is more likely to me that they see this as a way to skim some of the SR holdouts and direct them towards a good deal: you can either wait for the SR and pay 35,000-3,750 for base / 40,000-3750 for premium in Q1 as the incentive runs out, or you can order today and get a bigger battery too for 37,500. If you wanted to pick the premium package anyway, it means you can get the +40 miles of range for $1,250 extra. Deal of the century if you ask me.

Actually, you're right, I should redo it for about $1,5-2k in battery differences: ~75kWh * 20% * $100/kWh = $1,5K, for $150/kWh it's $2,25k.

I do have one other initial assumption that differs: I take the GM as 20% for the LR and am using $62k as ASP (only because despite you listing that for implied higher uptake I recall that being LR ASP -- you're probably right and can do the calc with different assumption). I used $1.75k for the battery difference.

This gives me LR_Margin = 20% from 62 - MR_base + 1.75 and results in MR_base = $28k and a quite fat GM. So maybe the 62k ASP was high :D but I still think the 20% GM projection is from the prior mix, not the MR. Evidence is that MR was not part of long term planning. I don't feel like digging up a proper ASP for before the MR though.

A bear thesis would naturally involve not meeting the 20% GM, but if taken to the logical conclusion that means they should not be doing an MR. They still aren't meeting demand (sorry bears, its true, there's a queue for the higher ASP) so there has to be a reason they are doing the MR.

My posit is that they are trying to aggressively deplete the excess RWD units and the LR RWD simply wasn't doing it fast enough. By knocking $5k off the price I think they are expecting to deplete their stocks more quickly -- turning stock into sold inventory is going to be needed to maximize earnings.

Naturally, I'm quite possibly wrong. It is just a supposition and I'm fully aware of that. But any alternate should account for known factors.

MR is probably for market share reason and less about profit and margin. It is to appease those waiting for SR and make a compelling comparison with honda/toyotas. Those who move up from SR to MR are likely getting more of their friends ready to jump in to SR in 2019.

Yes; MR supports the mission by accelerating market share growth while not driving the company into bankruptcy. I'm calculating the specific margin impact, but the overall company profitability will clearly continue into 2019 with triple-digit top-line growth. Pretty sweet deal.

I’m going to be called a pessimistic troll, but I feel like even if Tesla reported $1bil in profit the stock would be up for a day and slide back down.
where's the "sad, but true" pessimist rating? I won't call you a troll, but I agree with pessimist. I feel like that quite a lot. I think in the 5 to 20 year time frame $TSLA will do well. Not so sure about the next few years though.

Which is a reminder that I'm not really investing in $TSLA for the money. I'm doing it because I believe it is seriously undervalued (note my expectation in long term) and I think it is an amazing company that I want to have an interest in. If I was just in it for the money I would look for companies without ethics, morals or any concern about legalities.

So you're saying others are perfectly OK with their own space and nobody is interested eating others lunch.

No. I said it's not necessary to build a Model 3 like car, to prove that you can build compelling cars. That's a drive-train independent statement. I also said, that others have started to prepare for the production of compelling EVs, but are not there yet. One might suppose this is partially, because they are not ok with others eating their lunch. It's easy to undestand, if you read what i wrote and not try to interpret the things between the lines, that have not been said. ;-)

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
Status
Not open for further replies.