Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People: stop saying "The SEC should investigate WSJ". When you think the SEC should investigate someone, file a complaint alleging wrongdoing.

SEC Investor Complaint Form

The SEC doesn't read this forum looking for angry people.
This is incredibly helpful & well timed. I submitted my complaint as well. I think today represents the most blatant example of baseless FUD that had immediate visible intra-day -$20 SP effect and to me a "manipulation in plain sight" example. I really hope a lot of us will follow @KarenRei 's lead and instead of bi$ching on TMC contribute to an attempt of forcing SEC's investigation on this. These bastards need to become accountable for the financial damages they cause.

Not the same thing. I believe Musk spoke based on the best info he had at the time. He laid out goals (not commitments) for volumes and target dates, was up front that this was going to be production hell and a learning exercise for everyone and had the whole thing wrapped in a safe harbor statement.

This entire article is trying to represent more substance than actually it actually contains.
I'm not so sure....

Lots of articles try to put the best face on the reporting. Wouldn't you, if you were a reporter? You want people to read your stuff, after all.

And lots of CEOs try to imply more substance than they can actually deliver. Coast to coast FSD demo by December 2017? 20k monthly Model 3 production by 2017? 10k weekly Model 3 production by December 2018 - "Zero doubt, and I mean ZERO".

Are you sure the Journal reporter and Mr. Musk are not both simply human beings with the same fallibility? And the same human weakness for putting the best face on their work?

Do the VINs headed to EU or APAC get exposed to the NHTSA query? There's not specifically a reason to go to the trouble of excluding them, but on the other hand, there doesn't seem any legal need for them to be available via the NHTSA query either ... so perhaps we won't be able to follow foreign production the same way.

There were a few VINs reported on twitter that were interpreted as European due to a different code for the restraint system that was previously used for S/X going to Europe: Model 3 VINs on Twitter
So IMHO it is likely we will see all VINs there. Could crosscheck with Model S/X VINs.

Reactions: humbaba
Tight band between $329.00 and $330.00 for the last 30 minutes, stiffened to $329.50 & $330.00 for the last 21 minutes.

Edit: wait a minute; someone must have seen what I wrote and ate up the dollar, intentionally trading in such a way to push the market stock price down, rather than just taking a new position (walking the price down, which one can clearly see live on the chart; here's Time And Sales):
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 13.30.48.png
Edit: and the lack of follow through and the return to the previous band shows that it was a one-time weak manipulative thing.
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 13.32.07.png
Edit: I wonder if this is the same thing again:
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 13.33.02.png
Here's what I've been talking about overall:
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 13.36.43.png

Edit: Up at $330.90! Nice :)

Last edited:
Something interesting I was mulling: What if the Short Shorts were used to fund a superbowl commercial?

EDIT: Or Tesla funded some advertising with merch sales... Then it would essentially be funded by fans who want to advertise the brand.

A 30 second superbowl spot would be 5 million. If they made 20 bucks profit on a pair of shorts They'd probably need about 250K in sales. Count me in.

Alright, I don't have exact dates of conversations and realizations but the story I heard...

The contractor for the module line for months was "we almost got this it's fine just a bit more time" which is typical from a failing contractor. It wasn't until Elon being his micro manage self went down there and gathered some heads for chopping did Tesla realize holy *sugar* you guys really don't have this. The cause was a bit of classic Elon hubris as Tesla not only wanted the most automated line but also with a very small footprint. You ended up with overly complicated machines that they couldn't even get the programming right for. Anyways then Tesla takes over and their guys think "well I'm sure we can work out the last few kinks and get this *sugar* running". Some time goes by (not entirely sure how much) and they realize holy *sugar* we have to start from scratch. They pulled Tesla people into the project but also hired outside help to redo the whole programming of the line. Which Elon openly talked about. The outside help was not Grohmann as they were working on building a line from scratch, robot and programming wise, in parallel in case Tesla couldn't get the original line to work. With Tesla staff and outside contractors working 12-14 hour days 7 days a week they got the original line working.

This is why the DOJ investigating a company for missing a production rate by a measly 6 months is asinine. Any large company has many groups saying many things, translated by managers trying to look good, getting telephoned up the chain. Not even taking into account Elons honest and optimistic nature. It has to be massively obvious deception for it to be CRIMINALLY (DOJ, beyond reasonable doubt) proven in court. This is why you hardly ever see the DOJ look into *sugar* like this, except when it's Tesla apparently.

Anyways, that was the major factor for the delay as I understand it so unless they are looking into something else, from what I heard, the whole thing is a distraction.

/End rant
Not an advice
blah

Last edited:
Holy smokes. There was a single trade of 230,000 shares on the close, priced above ask. Someone *really* did not want to miss out on next week.

Yeah, that's a Market Maker enforcing the closing price at $330.90 so Max Pain was worth a $76.1M buy order in the final second of trading.

Market manipulation is a thing. Eight billion dollars changed hands today in TSLA. :eek:

That was a pretty quick response considering the article said Tesla didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. What did they do? Call, let it ring once and hang up?
"didn't immediately respond". I bet Tesla responded and the WSJ decided not to print the response. It does not say Tesla did not respond or said no comment. Tesla probably said something like, "We are unaware of any changes in the DOJ investigation."
That doesn't exactly fit what the WSJ wants to print so they exercised the choice to just leave that out and their short buddies exercised a few more positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.