Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, interesting. I've apparently always had massive self-confidence so I don't entirely understand how this inherent feeling of insecurity works. (I do feel insecure when I actually recognize a threat to my personal physical safety of course, but apparently that's different.)

Yeah. I mean, Fred should be proud that he has such a lot of good reportage on his site, and he should gracefully handle criticism (like Zach Shahan does), but he reacts with this weird "ego defense" stuff.

Fred's behavior makes no sense to me because my ego certainly isn't helped by pretending that I didn't make a mistake. If I made a mistake and I really get caught on it, my ego is helped by owning up to it and correcting it, thus reinforcing my self-image as a scientist, an honest person, someoe with integrity.

Apparently Fred's psychology is different. If he had psychology like mine, his shadowbanning of critics would be weighing very heavily on him. I have no problem with him getting a free Tesla as long as he discloses it (pretty much every car magazine has nearly every article written by people who were being given free access to cars), but censoring people who mention it is acting like he has something to hide. Very odd.

Contrast Fred's deletion of criticism to the open disclosure of positions on Cleantechnica. When people said "Ah, Zach may be biased because he's invested in TSLA", his reponse was along the lines of "Yeah, that's been noted at the bottom of every article for years, what's your point?", and the commenters agreed.

Fred shadow banned me and I have zero idea why. I’m a huge fan of Tesla, a P100D owner, and a pretty heavy stockholder.

I have repeatedly messaged him through various social media asking for an explanation, and have been completely ignored. Pretty shitty way to treat your target audience in my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
Also note that 90% of his articles are good, and I value his clear attempt at isolating fact, news and and opinion with the "Electrek's take" disclosure.

If it wasn't for those 5% "barbs" he tries to stick into others (often the target is Tesla), and the dishonesty in handling the comments section, I'd find his site great.

Also, I've seen shorts trying to create division among Tesla supporters by trolling Fred, and for all the hard time I'm giving Fred he is no Dana Hull and no Linette Lopez.

(Note: I never commented on Electrek's comment system so I don't have a personal "grudge" myself.)

90% of the time, a serial killer acts like an upstanding citizen. It’s the 10% of the time that bothers me.

Actually, while I don't always agree with @ValueAnalyst, the Q3 projections of ValueAnalyst were very close to the real Q3 numbers. In particular the predicted upside surprise to Model 3 margins were a good call.

Why, thank you. It was eating me inside that I couldn't thank this post. Not sure why I thought I'd still be able to agree/disagree while banned.

Actually, while I don't always agree with @ValueAnalyst...

There's only one way to resolve this.

Rock+paper+scissors+i+found+this+on+my+computer+startedlooking_8b115a_4914627.jpg

Last edited:
This is limited to a group of people who bought the highest margin car, and those are people who most likely to be repeat buyers. And, this isn't refunding $5k. It's refunding $5k - future cost of Supercharging.

This is the biggest point. Next time I'll probably wait longer before I pull the trigger. If all P owners get the refund, promised track mode, we see times on a track with the same driver beat M3 times (/S), all is well. But Elon, you have to think these things through...

Fred censors any criticism of himself. You can't even use his name right now in a comment, or the comment is instantly blocked.

I had to replace the word "Fred" with personal pronouns to get my comment posted:

View attachment 347433

"Will he now refuse the gift of a free Tesla Roadster that he won from the Tesla referral program? His conflict of interest here is obvious since the people who used his referral code only know of it from this "news" site.

"Clearly, he must either refuse this $200,000 gift or cease his coverage of Tesla. It's the ethical thing to do for a Journalist with such a obvious conflict of interest as this."

I don't expect to be allowed back to his blog / pretend EV journalist site. Fast freddy has blocked my comments before, when I directed Robert Bollinger to ask Elon to allow Supercharger access to the upcoming Bollinger E-SUV.

Fast Freddy also manually blocked my comment when the NY Times hitpiece was published, and I criticized him for blindly promoting a contrived article, and provided evidence that some of the "quotes" the NY Times attributed to there interview with Elon had appeared weeks previously in one other news sites, proving the whole article was obviously a targeted hit piece against Elon, and solely intended to damage TSLA share price, which did did the following day.

Yes, I have screen shots of both events Fred, and yes, I will post them if it becomes necessary.

Fred has drunk the denier kool-aid from a short glass, and now he's choking in it. It colors ever headline he writes with false "balance" and self-serving click-bait greed.

IMHO Fred is a small, selfish little man, and he has my pity.

Fred shadowbanned me earlier this year (both IP and user account) because I dared (gasp) disagree with him that Semi required some sort of "magic battery" revolutionary breakthrough to work (he insisted it did, I insisted it didn't), and most commenters were siding with me.

So long as people keep visiting his site, things will never change. He has platform, and that gives him power.

90% of the time, a serial killer acts like an upstanding citizen. It’s the 10% of the time that bothers me.

That's some serious hyperbole in the context of journalism. If you look at @ZachShahan's Pravduh metrics you'll find mainstream journalists who wrote dozens of articles about Tesla, with negative headlines 100% of the time. There are others who never wrote a single positive article about Tesla.

In that context Fred's 90% factual/positive, 5% trollish and 5% borderline-false content is Mother Theresa quality in comparison. Yes, CleanTechnica and Teslarati is even better, but we as a community would be very big fools to not welcome even slightly flawed friends like Fred when they do good stuff.

And yes, this means that despite of what Andrew Left has done in the past, he redeemed a large chunk of that with his high profile defection last week - that was hugely demoralizing to the shorts.

Flawed friends are not enemies, Tesla has enough enemies already.

Fred shadow banned me and I have zero idea why. I’m a huge fan of Tesla, a P100D owner, and a pretty heavy stockholder.

I have repeatedly messaged him through various social media asking for an explanation, and have been completely ignored. Pretty shitty way to treat your target audience in my opinion.
Stop trying so hard. Maybe you come across as stalker

Fred shadowbanned me earlier this year (both IP and user account) because I dared (gasp) disagree with him that Semi required some sort of "magic battery" revolutionary breakthrough to work (he insisted it did, I insisted it didn't), and most commenters were siding with me.

Yeah, and J.B. confirmed exactly that during the 2018 AGM. When you're right, and Fred is wrong, their will be trouble. What a fine example of a "Journalist". ;)

There a fine future for Fred at "Faux News". Bonne Chance!

Cheers!

I have to share this article bc it’s hilarious to us Longs who can actually interpret it as the parody it is..... but mostly, it proves confirmation bias of Shorts, and we can all celebrate and buy more now that we realize just HOW delirious these guys are..

Analyst: Tesla is like ‘Blackberry when the iPhone came out’

I think the palm pilot of ev like car goes to the Prius and the blackberry being the leaf. It was a major step toward electrification, but seriously uncool and not good enough.

Spiegel needs to go back and check his analogy again. Tesla is so similar to an iPhone thay you are just lying to your investors calling it anything else. Visionary and famous CEO..check, exclusive charging network as the back bone similar to the app store, check...cool and hip to own...check..did the EV cars right..check...people waiting in line..check...brand loyal fanboys...check and beyond apple. No apple fanboys volunteered their time to help apple sell phones.

Assuming an average 4 year ownership period, 20k miles per year average, 20% supercharging and 300 Wh/mile, that's 4800 kWh. An average of say 20 cents/kWh would bring it til $960. Average.
Average driving 4000 miles a year on trips is not the average. Average 20000 miles a year is 5000 over average of all drivers average. I wont ask your opinion on average penis size

Holy heck... still catching up on the comments, so maybe someone else already pointed this out, but.... has anyone else done the math on how much money Fred bullied Tesla into giving up? They may have sold, what, 15k performance upgrade packages thusfar (Q3 plus the start of Q4)? 15000 * 5000 = 75 million dollars.

Fred just cost Tesla four times what the SEC settlement did.**

** - At least in the short term. In the long term, the lack of free supercharging will benefit them, but Tesla has a huge time-value to money; a little money invested in infrastructure today earns them a massive amount of money in the future.

Last edited:
New tweet: he just offered to give anyone who has bought a dual motor performance (edit: with the performance upgrade package) a $5000 rebate and turn off free supercharging. That could cost a lot.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Nobody's going to take that, surely? That being said though, $5k is a LOT of supercharging. I would guess I've done the equivalent of 30k kms on road-trips since 2014, with an average 230kWh per km, let's say 7500kW, with the cost being roughly €0.35 per kW, that's rounded up to $2k with a rough conversion € to $.

That's after more than 4.5 years of driving freely around Europe, so would take around 10 years to get to $5k

I don't think most people realise that nearly all charing is done from home, unless you're a cheap-skate, free-loader, cheating the spirit of free Supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Status
Not open for further replies.