Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why lol?? He has countless advantages:
  • He'd give the Tesla board some ... weight and muscle.
  • Maybe shorts would think twice whether to mess with the Tesla?
  • He's also the rags to riches blue collar hero that would be the perfect guy to introduce the Tesla Pickup Truck.
  • Also, should it come to it, the Tesla committee that oversees Elon's tweeting habits would require some real ... power, to wrestle Elon's smartphone from him, should it be required?
If that's the criteria, Tyrus (aka the other Murdoch) would be superior.

Frankly, in this price range (35-44K) there are probably a measurable amount of people who can only get LESS than the $7500 tax credit, so the $3750 for H119 may be enough for them to be able to maximize their savings, probably assuming that we get a SR, non PUP version in that time frame. Some states are talking about increasing their REBATES, CA is one, and also adding even MORE rebates for lower income buyers (less than about 65K household). So, that could not only fill in a gap created in the federal credit for H119, but in some respects add even MORE savings to a buyer as they are more likely to be rebates and not credits.

Your point is something to model for sure, but I don't really see it dropping too much (single percentage points maybe) in H119 in NA. It will probably be impossible to actually see in the numbers though as other markets are opening up during that period so OVERALL demand and sell through will still be strong.

Visited the local showroom (no service or delivery capability) today. One M3 on the floor and another one in the mall's parking lot for test drives. Was told I had less than a week to order a MR if I wanted it delivered before year-end to receive the $7,500 tax credit.

Frankly, in this price range (35-44K) there are probably a measurable amount of people who can only get LESS than the $7500 tax credit,
Not sure what you mean by "measurable". Does that mean 1% or 10% or 50% ? All are measurable.

All the folks I know who are likely to buy 3 are high earning younger folks who don't want to spend $100k on a car. They probably pay upward of $30k in taxes a year.

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
Monetization of Instagram is already driving people off of Instagram.

Seems to me that Facebook is a self-defeating business. Any way in which they can make money alienates their customers. You might have thought Google would have had the same problem, and they kind of do, but people accept advertising results as one of the results of a search; not so much when they're chatting with friends and associates.

To bring this back around, Tesla's quite the opposite: people accept that cars cost lots of money, so Tesla has plenty of ways to make money.

Off Tesla topic here.
Mark is smart, shrewd, ambitious and hard-working. And that goes along with a low moral standard and the lack of creativity.
Mark is paranoid of budding threats, and buys any emerging harder-to-copy threat outright. If a target company rejects, he would still copy features and utilize Facebook's monopoly position to eradicate the threat. This has been played out in its history, just not the same scale of copying Snapchat in the past year. Facebook even has a division that monitors features coming out of small products. If any worthy feature discovered, the division will propagate the findings to "incorporate" into its products.
It's a shame that the government is so behind on technical curve, and an outdated antitrust law doesn't help. Facebook is allowed to share its scale and massive user information with Instagram and WhatsApp. The company should be split into multiple entities. A free service doesn't mean the service won't harm consumers. The government is letting a monopoly kills budding competitors and prevents an even better product to succeed and serve consumers better.
Facebook only got into troubles because of stepping into the political hot potato - Russian interference. And Mark has learned the most important fix is to "enhance" products to stay out of political related troubles, rather than provide real user privacy.

So, I have to think that this is a full-size van, and full-size vans are quite common for last-mile delivery worldwide with reliable demand, and could complement the Semi nicely, as well as being used for transporting people (think airport shuttles, vanpooling, and the like).

Minivans intended for passenger use are a declining market in the US, true, but that's not what Tesla is making if it's based on the Pickup.
I haven't heard of tesla making vans. Where did this rumor start?
I'd think it's way low on the priority list, way below Y, semi, and pick up truck. I guess Amazon does use those Sprinter vans...and some local chain grocery stores use those little commercial vans so there is some demand. I worked for a new car dealer who carried those commercial van models and we hardly sold any of them, ever. I don't think I even witnessed one sold over a 4 month period. The model Y will be a game changer though. Crossovers were easy sales.

Spock vaporizes Rock.

Careful, or this is going to end up being the new chairman ;)

latest

Guess it'd be better than Murdoch, though ;)

I think what Tesla will come out with is their first version of the light duty truck with an open bed. Musk will call that a pickup. But as a cab forward vehicle it's as much of a van as it is a pickup. So the second vehicle is a van. There is overlap between a pickup with a cap and a van. So I don't see why Tesla would not design to address both markets. Also, the pickup is very North American centric, and Tesla is certainly planning to design world vehicles.

Check slide 11 in Investor presentation slides of Tesla Motors, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.